X11 Update 2006 Released

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Fillado, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Fillado macrumors member

Jul 23, 2006
  2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Just saw that this update has showed up. I don't use OpenOffice, but maybe I'll hold off anyway just in case there are problems. I haven't updated to the new XCode and iTunes versions yet either...
  3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Installed. All seems fine - then again, I rarely use X11.
  4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    Same here on an Intel Macbook, try NeoOffice instead.
  5. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    When I tried to install it, I was met with a message that it was not necessary for my computer. If you have MacOS X 10.4 or a recent model Mac, the version of X11 included is newer than the one in the update. Long story short--do not override the warning.
  6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Used Software Update to download and install the update and received no warnings of any kind. I tried OpenOffice and that seems to be fine but Inkscape is complaining at the native Mac OS X level, though I think that's coincidence.

OpenOffice did seem a bit more, oh what's that word they use? :D :p
  7. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
  8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Of course, having said that, it (OpenOffice with X Windows update?) also clobbered my keyboard and mouse functionality temporarily. Every click was a right click and my external keyboard didn't work correctly.
  9. GodBless macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2005
    X11 Update

This is a good sign--hopefully it means that interface emulation is becoming a bigger part of Apple. What it could mean is that Apple is getting a team ready to emulate Windows interface for X86 machines.

Does anyone know if the X11 update is PPC only?
  10. irbdavid macrumors regular

Mar 27, 2006
    Apple says its a universal binary on their site...

As a side note, nothing is 'emulated' with X11, its the real deal. And X11 has zilch to do with MS Windows. Big part of the reasoning behind me switching was the ability to use 'proper' X11, without having to resort to those depressing X11 emulator type things on windows (NX, Exceed etc).

"ssh -Y" all day every day...
  11. mitchec macrumors newbie

Aug 31, 2006
    Open Office 2.0 broken

Since updating X11 yesterday OpenOffice will no longer run. I am getting the following message, " Due to an unexpected error, OpenOffice Crashed"

I know it was working fine before the update as I only used it yesterday morning.

Is anyone experiencing similar problems.
  12. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

Nov 2, 2006
    Are we there yet?
    Fix for Broken Open Office

First - just registered - been watching this Forum for about two months since I got my new Mac Mini. I have received lots of hints from it so far, and thanks to everyone.

Second - I run the mini intel version and OO - correct that it was broken, but there is a fix that I have performed and tested - it works. There is plenty of buzz about it elsewhere. Here's the cut and paste of what needs to happen.
    Seems Apple decided to change their X11 server's font handling without even bothering to test a big font using application like OOo X11 and OOo X11 will not run if you install the latest Apple update.

In my quick look at this, I believe that this clearly an Apple bug. From the OOo X11 team's initial evaluation. The problem seems to be that Apple's update cannot handle its own Vera fonts. But since Apple is unlikely to fix their bug quickly and I know that some people are using OOo X11, I have found the following workaround.

Open the /Applications/Utilties/Terminal application and execute the following two commands. Note that you will be asked for your password as these commands require administrative privileges:

sudo mkdir -p /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF.bad

sudo mv /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/Vera*.ttf /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF.bad

The link -> http://trinity.neooffice.org/module...4&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

No sig yet!!! Also still need an avatar???
  13. mitchec macrumors newbie

Aug 31, 2006
    Thanks very much Mac Convert, this worked a treat.
  14. Eaon macrumors member

Jan 22, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Um, the update page says
    So, why do you say "If you have MacOS X 10.4"? Sounds like that's one this you really do need for this to work.

Source: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/x11update2006.html

Now, a question: That same page says it fixes these things:
    That's nice. What programs use that? I normally associate my X11 programs with crappy, 1980's quality graphics. Since when do they use "stereo visuals"? ;)
  15. ubermonkey macrumors newbie

Nov 8, 2006

mac-convert, thanks for the quick fix!
  16. StealthRider macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2002
    Yokosuka, Japan
    Seems much faster using GimpShop - a nice improvement so far!
  17. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

Nov 2, 2006
    Are we there yet?

You are very welcome! It felt good giving something back to the forum on my first post after getting so many answers. I've been using windows since ???? - well, I had a version of 1.0 that came on a 360K floppy and wouldn't load on anything but an 8086 PC.

I recently got a Mac Mini after seeing Tiger and getting a chance to play with it. THANKS STEVE and ALL THOSE PROGRAMMERS down in Cupertino!!!