X11 Windows...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brdoco, Aug 17, 2006.

1. brdoco macrumors member

When I fire up X11, 4 windows automatically open up: 2 xterms, 1 clock, and 1 Login window. Is there anything I can do have it not start up with all those apps running?

Also, the Login window is larger than my desktop.. Any x11/unix tricks to resize it so that i can close it?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Only one XTerm opens for me, I cannot see how in the preferences to automatically open more windows when it starts.

3. brdoco thread starter macrumors member

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

There's a conf or ini somewhere a hidden folder(.x**** in the home folder, don't have my Macbook ATM). I had to add a # in front of a line to make xterm stop loading.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Typically it's all started from a .xinitrc, at least in "traditional" UNIXes.

7. brdoco thread starter macrumors member

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Ah, it's generally not recommended to edit that file since that applies to all users. Create your own .xinitrc in your home directory that'll take precedence ... although, it beats me why /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc would have the commands to open two xterms and a clock, unless it had been edited already.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

He might have had a X11 install along the lines of XDarwin, which I believe started with xeyes and crap like that.