Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gorion

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
Hello, I just got an X1900 XT upgrade kit for my mac pro. I would've bought the 1900 w/ the mac pro, but i didnt hAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO UPGRADE THE CARD AT THE TIME (dang caps). Anyway.. I installed Windows on it a month ago with the 7300 card. I also have an Apple 23' monitor. And the question that I have, is should I expect to have any problems running the card with windows?

Thanks!

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Hello, I just got an X1900 XT upgrade kit for my mac pro. I would've bought the 1900 w/ the mac pro, but i didnt hAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO UPGRADE THE CARD AT THE TIME (dang caps). Anyway.. I installed Windows on it a month ago with the 7300 card. I also have an Apple 23' monitor. And the question that I have, is should I expect to have any problems running the card with windows?

Thanks!

No, I run the x1900 on my Mac Pro in Windows and it runs fine.

mjgunn

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006

Thanks!

Nope, I did the same thing you did (only I didn't get the 1900 with the machine because I bought it from Amazon). When you boot into windows after doing the swap, the resolution will be really low and it'll be looking for drivers, just go to ATI.com and download them from there (or you may want to do that before you put the x1900 in, so you're not browsing the web in 640x480 with 256 colors like I was :p).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Funky Startup with Windows with the X1900

Lad's the startup screens with Windows have messed up with te X1900 upgrade kit.

i ahve 2 20" ACD connected and on startup the windows logo one appears squished and the other flickers constanty. It's alright once loaded but just initially its all messed up.

It did not do this with the 7300GT

Anyone else experienced this weird eratic behavior ?

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
Funky Startup with Windows with the X1900

Lad's the startup screens with Windows have messed up with te X1900 upgrade kit.

i ahve 2 20" ACD connected and on startup the windows logo one appears squished and the other flickers constanty. It's alright once loaded but just initially its all messed up.

It did not do this with the 7300GT

Anyone else experienced this weird eratic behavior ?

Yes mine does that as well with dual monitors.

Gorion

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
So if I have Windows installed already, and the drivers, I should be ok? Like i'll be able to see the login screen and everything correctly?

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2006
I should be receiving my ATI X1900 XT on Monday, want a head up that if it have a driver for Mac OS X yet? I can manually install driver on Windows XP no problem because I can go to ATI homepage and get the Driver.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I should be receiving my ATI X1900 XT on Monday, want a head up that if it have a driver for Mac OS X yet? I can manually install driver on Windows XP no problem because I can go to ATI homepage and get the Driver.

Just install the bootcamp drivers. And then install the Catalyst Drivers on top. Should be fine, it was for me.

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2006
Can I use the ATI X1900 XT along with the NVidia 7300GT Graphic Card? I know they are 2 different company and I don't see how that is going to work? But it be nice if it does. Will I get better frame rate and increase graphic qaulity?

Gorion

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
I was actually wondering the same thing. That'd be cool if you could do it.
I'm pretty sure you'd have driver conflicts though =\

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Can I use the ATI X1900 XT along with the NVidia 7300GT Graphic Card? I know they are 2 different company and I don't see how that is going to work? But it be nice if it does. Will I get better frame rate and increase graphic qaulity?

That really depends on what you mean by "along with". You cannot connect them via SLI or Crossfire, since :
a)neither is supported by the Apple config
b) the graphics cards need to be identical.

You can use the 7300 GT with one monitor and the x1900 with the other, thus avoiding splitting Video RAM in one of the cards. That is good but since you can just deactivate your second monitor (most games do this by themselves) it doesn't make a difference in games.

The short answer is no, you won't see better frame rates or increase in graphic quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.