Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alien2108

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
Maribor, Slovenia
Hi All!

Despite Anandtech reports of X1900XT 256Mb problems in XP I got it to work OK. MacPro with latest EFI upgrade.

First I also got mangled display in XP when using only X1900. So I also installed 7300GT and downloaded newest ATI drivers using it. Then I installed ATI drivers and rebooted. After reboot I changed X1900XT to be my primary display and everything works great now in XP!

So the key is to FIRST install newest ATI drivers with old card and X1900 installed!

Next step is hopefully to flash it with MacPro X1900XT BIOS...If somebody hacks it to 256Mb version...

Card is a real bargain at 240EUR in Europe and almost same performance as 512Mb version...

The only problem is that in OS X X1900 just switches the fan to highest gear and that's like jet taking of...It I could convince the card to keep quiet under OS X just switching monitor would be solution....

alien2108

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
Maribor, Slovenia
Progress is beeing made to flash PC X1900XT/256 with EFI bios from MacPro X1900XT/512.

Flashing suceeded and card is working now in MacPro from boot on (Bootcamp selection screen is working...). Graphics is garbled though and we are trying to fix the issue with help of ppl on strangedogs. EFI flash was patched already to reflect lower clocks (MacPro card is 600/650, this one is lower), now memsize has to be patched to 256Mb and hopefully we'll get it to work OK....

^squirrel^

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
England
Nice job buddy. It's great to hear people making progress with this! Once i get mine i'm going to start troubleshooting with different cards.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.