X360 Test Drive Unlimited - Any good?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ericsthename, Sep 6, 2006.

1. ericsthename macrumors regular

Hey all fellow macrumors members.

Test Drive Unlimited is the first 360 title in a long while that I'm excited about. It's finally out and I'm debating whether to pick it up or not.

Any opinions? Do any of you have it yet?

I've got both the demo's, but they didnt really sell me on the game...

Let me know

2. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Ditto. Although the low price point makes it more attractive. Any reviews?

And demos? There's more than one?

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'd buy it if we had the low price point, but its €75 here.
    I wasnt €75 impressed by the demo....

4. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

$39 here

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

6. ericsthename thread starter macrumors regular

being able to drive all around oahu sounds pretty neat, but for me I didn't like the cars' handling as much as PGR3. Of course that can be simply the case with the cars that were demoed. I'm just wondering if the actual racing element will bring any innovative aspect or if it will just be another average racer.

Come to think of it, I wish need for speed would get rid of this tuner car, underground street racer theme. I loved the old school need for speeds (II SE anyone?) but I refuse to buy the games they've pumped out lately. The last NFS title I purchased was hot pursuit 2.

Thats one thing that has always bothered me seriously about the mac platform. I love driving/racing games, and the best we've been able to get is cro-mag fricken rally. Are you kidding me? I know there's nascar, but I like real racing :)

I can live without loads of games like they have for windows, but at least if there were a few good choices in each genre - the creme de la creme - I wouldn't feel so neglected...

7. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

It is strange the game's been out for two days and there's no reviews floating around. I guess that means nobody got early review copies :rolleyes:

To me, I'd rather wait a couple weeks and get Just Cause. The graphics are somewhat similar, but there's boats, planes, helicopters, guns and parachutes. The ~$40 pricetag is freaking me out a little on this one too...Bomberman: Act Zero anybody?

8. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Doesnt come out until 2mora here in the UK... Can't wait...

9. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

When Test Drive was first announced I was really excited to get but then once it kept getting delayed my intrest shrunk and I eventually settled for project gotham. I don't really see the need for more than one racing game since they all have the same objective anyway.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The game suck dude....if the haven't reviewed itas yet then it sucks....go pick up something else.

Bless

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

12. ericsthename thread starter macrumors regular

According to the reviews, I just might pick this game up. -I think 360 owners should support games that debut at 39 bucks instead of the absurd 59 and 69 titles we've been seeing. Its seems like this game is really a game for live subscribers. Anyone actually buy the game yet?

13. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Haven't bought, doubt I will. I do have fun in the demo but it seems too...limited. That could just be the demo. I'll check out the reviews and see what the full version adds that the demo doesn't show.

I do like the handling of the cars...less "swervy" and seem to "bite" the road. I LOVE having traffic to worry about. That's a nice addition.

14. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Update: I hunted down some reviews. Looks like people are loving this game! My interest shot up hearing about some of the stories people are telling about the game. Some stuff:

1) Single player is plenty deep. Earn money, buy cars, upgrades, etc. Online is NOT mandatory (but recommended).

2) You have to drive to a place to unlock it. Most people like this feature, but some don't. (Once you visit a spot you can warp to it at any time.)

3) Buggy online friends feature. Can be something of a pain to get you and your friends on the same server. Online patch has already been confirmed.

4) Car clubs busted. Not sure about this but apparently car clubs (eg. "clans") have some issues. Again, patch in the works.

5) Cars handle much better than the demo.

6) The island is HUGE. Comparisons are being made to Oblivion, except TDU is much larger!

7) People loving the low cost price. Say the fun = price ratio is excellent.

All in all, although it does have a racing component, TDU is also very much a driving simulator. This may or may not be your thing. Online community is getting high marks, too.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

looks like we have another chromehounds, where the demo doesnt do the game justice, interesting....

Damn you and your price ratio don :p !!!

16. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

How are some of you getting this game so cheap? UK price is £39.99/£49.99, same price as all the other 360 games :(

17. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Bwahahaha! :D

I'm trading in Chromehounds tomorrow (long story, don't ask) for this. TDU will cost me like $5. :p

18. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

i picked it up yesterday (i live in hong kong).

nothing special imo.

handling, gameplay, graphics, fun factor are all secondary to pgr3 and nfs.
    i like pgr3 and nfs equally. if those 2 games are a 10, test drive is no more than a 7.

19. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I think this game might have been good, but I also think the 360 is saturated with car racing games. This does bring some new features but unfortunately I think most people are a little worn out on car games at the moment.

I haven't downloaded the demo to this yet, I might at some point. I just don't think I will be getting the game anytime soon because i have played so many racing games so far (PGR3,NFS, RR6).

20. ericsthename thread starter macrumors regular

I think Abulia may have convinced me while convincing himself (I presume its a him). I also disagree with the previous poster that the 360 is saturated with racing games. I find that PGR is the only other real racer out there at the moment, both NFS and RR6 were sub par in my opinion. As far as I'm concerned, the more A grade games available the better. PGR was too short for my liking - I played it through on silver, gold and then worked my way through platinum, in essence playing the game 3 times over. Basically, the only game that my 360 has seen recently is Oblivion.

21. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Well, I've found myself playing the demo more and more. Anytime I sit down to play on my 360 and I'm more inclined to play a demo than a game I paid for (Madden 07) that send a strong signal to me. :)

So if anyone is willing to wait, I'll post a super-anal detailed review here that should address any concerns regarding the game's quality. ;)

[Edit] Sadly, I'm on a business trip for the next four days, so it could take as long as a week, though. :(

22. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Picked it up and have been fooling around with it. It's part RPG-meets-driving simulator-meets onling racing. It's difficult to describe. I do like it, however.

First, the size of the island is huge. In the demo I'd say that you get to play in roughly 1/30th the total area in the full game. It's larger than Oblivion by a huge margin.

You start out renting a car, buying a house (to store your cars and save your games) and then buy a starter car. The first few "mission" tutorials are pretty good at getting you familiar with the game.

Then the game becomes online aware. This is the cool part (to me). You will see other TDU racers online. As you drive by you can flash your lights and challenge them to a race or "link up" to free drive. So the entire game is online-aware and works these online drivers into your single-player game.

The world is beautiful and dynamic. There's traffic, your windshield gets dirty, planes fly overhead, etc. It feels pretty real and immersive. If you use the cockpit view even more so. (BTW, you can adjust your seat height and position in the car!)

The GPS helps guide you along to destinations for missions. There are bascially four types: Races (against humans or bots), delivery, time/speed trial, and one other I can't remember. ;) This is how you earn cash for cars. There are dealers all over and showrooms to drool in. You can upgrade your cars, repaint them, even pick out their rims when you purchase.

As you get more cars you'll be buying other houses to store them. You can join car clubs with other online drivers (not sure what that does) and also trade custom (player-made) challenges at the drive-ins. :) You can buy and sell cars online from within the game, too.

You have to drive to a spot once before you can auto-warp there in the future. Thus, the game encourages you (and rewards you) to explore. This is very nice.

Mostly it's a really enjoyable game to just drive around and experience the beauty of the island. You don't have to race if you don't want to.

You can force your friends to "link up" with you so that you can free drive together, chatting over XBL. That's kinda neat.

At $40 I'd buy this. As it was I got it for $10 with a trade. I'm very happy about that. :) For some people it might be a purchase at even $50 or $60. Mostly I'm happy to support a game with a $40 price point.

There's no damage to your own car or day/night cycles or weather, all of which are bummers. Aside from that, this game should keep you busy for a LONG time, presuming you have an interest in driving games.

Oh, BTW, don't confuse this with a review; these are only my early impressions. ;)

23. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

One other thing, the game comes with a keycode in the manual to share with a friend ("refer a friend"). I give you my keycode and you give me mine, we go to the TDU website and enter our codes and both get two free high-performance cars! :D

So, if anyone else has TDU drop me a PM and we'll exchange codes! :)

(Codes can only be used once, however, and in pairs.)

24. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

anyone know when its pc counter part will release will pick it up for my mbp

25. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

My opinion on any racing game is this - YOU ARE GOING IN CIRCLES.