x800 is loud

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bug, Jun 5, 2005.

1. bug macrumors regular

Hi All -

I just upgraded my G5 with an x800 (from the stock 5200fx) and it is just so loud! It’s too bad because while the 5200 really wasn't that great of a video card, it was nice and quiet (no fan).

The x800's fan runs at the same speed all the time, which concerns me because this computer never gets a break. My G5 has now gone from being the quietest computer in the house to the loudest just by installing that card.

Is there anything I can do about this? I suppose there is not. It would be nice if they used a temp control on the fan so that it only rev'ed up when needed. My dangerous side is trying to convince me to mod the card with a temp controlled fan, but I know that is asking for trouble ;)

2. bug thread starter macrumors regular

Never mind...

Firmware update fixed my problem!

3. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Never head a X800, so I don't know how loud it is, but I've read good things about the VGASilencer. It supposedly is very good at reducing noise, and is not very expensive.

Had a friend who replaced the standard cooler on a Radeon 9600 with the Silencer, and it did wonders to the noise level.

Don't know if it'll work on the Mac editions, though.