X800 Pro coming soon to mac (October- November?)

Discussion in 'Games' started by invaLPsion, Sep 17, 2004.

1. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I sent a letter to ATi asking about the X800PRO and whether or not it was coming to mac, I received this in reply...

"Regarding X800 for Mac:

Currently there are no announcements for an X
    series card for Mac computers.

Keep in mind the fall/winter season is a popular
    time for releasing products." (hint?)

While it probably means nothing, rumors from sources like Apple Insider and the new MOSR have been stating that an X800PRO is bound for mac sometime this fall...

$499 would be a good price point...
    :)

2. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

if that doesn't hint at an X800 for OS X, i don't know what does.

notice how they said no plan for an X series for Mac...the X is in reference to PCI-Express compatibility...perhaps they are releasing a 9800 based on the X800 core (the 9800 mobile is thus, since it isn't PCI-Express, it cannot use the X series) until we get PCI Express?

Well, at least I know that when I am ready to buy a G5 tower, it will be stocking something better than an X800 :D. (and probably a dual-core G6).

3. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

there is a agp version of the x800 i saw a pdf about it on ati's website

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I personally don't think we'll see an X800 for mac until the PowerMac gets updated.. Which hopefully will be around February

5. a2daj macrumors member

You really think so, huh? Does that mean we have to revive this thread in February? :)

6. applekid macrumors 68020

If anything is released soon, it'll probably be a X800 for the AGP slot.

As for PowerMacs and PCI-Express, I wouldn't be so sure about seeing PCI-Express in the next PowerMacs. Maybe the ones after. You know Apple and how slow they are with picking up standards. And, I don't think PCI-Express is selling that quickly on the PC. It's probably doing well, but not great.

7. brap macrumors 68000

It wasn't exactly a subtle hint, now was it... competition can only be good for the consumer in this particular market. A full-on Good Move - ATI cards run cooler than Nvidias, so just think about the possibility of a logic board change in the iMac G5? Awesome.
    Not strictly true, but PCI Express is needless technology; nobody needs that kind of bandwidth yet. AGP 4 and 8x are more than quick enough (unidirecitonally). I'm expecting PCI-Express when it's necessary.

8. nek macrumors member

It would make sense for ATI to release an AGP version of the X800 so there is a larger market for it. The Apple version and retail version should be the same, both with dual DVI ports. I think it will be released in Oct or Nov and Apple will upgrade the Powermac graphics. Then Apple will move to PCI-Ex with the next Powermac upgrade in Feb or March depending on when IBM has faster processors in quantity.

9. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

the X800 does work in the AGP slots as it stands right now. Just some stuff just is not as good. It needs either an 8x/4x APG or a PCI express slot

pulled off ATI site

10. Zaty macrumors 65816

Perhaps we'll get an update sooner than Februrary. There have been rumours that IBM has started sending 2.6 and 2.8 GHz cpus to Apple. There are also signs that IBM might have resolved its problems.

Dual 2.8
    Dual 2.6
    Dual 2.3
    in November?
    After alle, the current dual 1.8's and dual 2.0's are just place holder models, i.e. they're baiscally last year's models. I'm sure they will be replaced sooner rather than later.

I know, it's just wishful thinking but you know SJ promised that during the 20th anniversary year, Apple would announce a lot of great things.

So let's see what we've got so far:

iMac G5: definitely being of those great things:
    Dual 2.5 GHz w/ liquid cooling, ditto (other models practically unchanged)
    Airport Express, ditto
    New pro software (Motio, Final Cut pro HD etc.) ditto? Great software, but only for pros and MWSF is a consumer event
    4G iPods ditto? After all, its rather a minor upgrade
    New PBs, iBooks, eMacs certainly not, as those were just speed bumps

I have a feeling this can't be everything. Let's hope there is more coming before the curtain falls on the 20th anniversary year.

11. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Yes, the main x800 pro is AGP. I've got one in my gaming rig. It's a sweet card. I run far cry and doom III @ 1280x1024 on max detail w/ good framerates. A G5 with this thing would be incredible. Expensive, but incredible.

12. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I don't want to see another update if it's not 3ghz.

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

um... why? Because you've arbitrarily decided that 3, being a nice round number, would be a meaningful upgrade whereas 2.8, not being a round number, is not? :rolleyes: Any time you can get more performance for the same price, it's a good upgrade.

14. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Because 3ghz looks better on paper than 2.8ghz does. Especially because Apple already looks bad by not having 3ghz by June like they had promised. If the next update isn't 3ghz, that means Apple will be a full year behind on their promise. In the computer industry, a year is simply way too long.

15. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Update: New Information

The X700XT and X800XT are both expected for mac fairly soon. We could see them in November, or around the time when the 6800 Ultra finally starts shipping. ATi could try to steal the mac spotlight...

16. applekid macrumors 68020

Your sources?

This is exciting news if it's true! Any word if they can power those 30 inch Displays?

17. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

The X800XT would be DDL. It is pretty obscure, but in the new ATi Rom update there is support for the X700 and X800 platforms. We can assume they mean to release these pretty soon.

My bet is that they will be announced around the time the 6800 starts shipping.

Both of these cards perform very well in Doom3, not as well as NVidia cards (due to the optimization), but much better than theyre 9800 series predecessors.

:)

18. applekid macrumors 68020

X800 is fo' rizzle

Maybe I should've posted a thread in Hardware instead of Gaming? Whatever...

But, GREAT news! :cool:

19. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Score one for MOSR... :D

Sooo happy.

I'll be buying one ASAP! :D

20. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

and good call! you called the x800's coming to the mac with support for the 30"

21. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Spread the word:

"Move over Think Secret and Apple Insider. InvaLPsion is the new prodigy!" :D

22. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

23. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Wishful thinking I know - X800 bring down price on 9800Pro

I just want to see the X800 come out so maybe, just MAYBE, prices on the 9800Pro (for G4) will come down a notch. $350 is very high for last year's video card, especially when a PC version is 95% identical and costs $225.

Wishful thinking, I know, since the X800 won't be an option for G4 so 9800Pro will remain as the best option.

24. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I don't see why they wouldn't release the X800 for the G4 and the G5. Power consumption for the 9800pro is the same as the X800... and there's gotta be some G4 owners that are diggin the 30". Some say the G4 can't push the 9800 to it's full potential, but i think it can.... and more

Let's just hope they release a strict G5 version too, so us G5 owners don't have to 'jimmy-rig' our boxes to get power to it.

I am really excited about this, but unfortunately i have a feeling that this will be a post newyear intro. I sure hope not, but it seems like everything takes a long time to get here. Remember the 9800se was showcased in January? When did it finally show up? June.

I sure would like to know which card is better. Seems like the 6800Ultra isn't the animal we all thought (for gaming). Plus ATI seems to keep up with things. apple's driver ports for nvidia are rare and not often. I wonder how much it will cost too.