x800 Runs too hot?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lssmit02, May 6, 2005.

1. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2004
    I just installed the ATI X800 into my G5 DP 1.8 (Rev A). I've been getting an acrid smell from the computer since the upgrade. This is worst when I run folding@home (2 clients). It's obviously related to the X800, but when I popped open the machine, it seemed as if the greatest amount of heat was coming from the processor closest to the AGP slot. I ran the machine with only the clear plastic cover, and the fan on the X800 does appear to be spinning. Any thoughts? Is the X800 card defective? Is there a "burn in" period? Does the X800 draw too much power (wattage)? Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    I cannot comment on the volts but I can say that I've never popped in a video card and had that smell and the majority of the heat was not coming from the vid card. I would have probably shut the box down and took the card back.
  3. lssmit02 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2004
    Would a reset of the PMU fix a problem with the card drawing too much power, or the like, causing it to overheat? I was wondering if it was worth resetting the PMU and reinstalling the card to test that out?
  4. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    Is anything malfunctioning? The smell may well be temporary. I swapped out my factory disk for a WD 10K RPM Raptor (DP G5) when I installed Tiger and noticed a bit of a smell at first, but I haven't had any problems; the fans are running normally. I think it's just a matter of the interior temp being higher in an area that hadn't gotten that hot previously. YMMV.
  5. lssmit02 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2004
    Well, that's what I'm hoping. Clearly the X800 draws a lot more power - perhaps there was a bunch of dust that got burned off from the creaky, old card that was in there (ATI asked me if there was shipping material on the card, as if I'd leave a huge packing peanut stuck to the card when I installed it :rolleyes: ). However, I have to say, it was very worrying. Thought I'd fried the computer by improperly installing the card.