X800 XT wake from sleep problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Redneck1089, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Hello,

Last year I purchased an X800 XT. To cut a really long story short I've been having "wake from sleep" issues ever since I installed the card. What happens is the computer will wake, stay awake for about 15-20 seconds, and then go back to sleep. That happens every time I wake the computer from sleep.

I started a thread about this awhile back, but didn't receive much help. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I tried all the ROM updates and nothing worked at the time...but today I was going to try them again, but ATI's website is so poorly designed that trying to find anything on it is like looking for a needle in a hay stack. I can't find anything but driver updates and display updates on their website (both of which I have just installed anyways--niether solved my problem).

I even Google searched my problem. I found a "hot-fix" to the "wake from sleep" problem, but when I click on the link(s) provided they take me back to ATI's website which gives me some nonsense about being an "unauthorized download."

This is really driving me insane, especially since I want to sell my computer soon and I don't think the person who purchases it will appreciate a computer that isn't working quite right.

Here are some of the links that I have tried:

http://ati.amd.com/online/403/leech.asp
    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/mac_X800_card_reports.html
    http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Drivers/ATI-Radeon-X800-XT-ROM-Update.shtml

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

If you put the original graphics card back in does the issue go away? If so, I'd say there's something wrong with the graphics card.

3. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Yeah, the issue does go away if I reinstall the original graphics card.

Man...that's really a bummer.

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Check the warranty status of the card. It may still be under warranty. If so, I'd get it replaced and see what it does.*

5. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I am pretty sure the warrenty will have expired by now, but I'll still check.

Thanks!

6. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

The only other things I can think of is, have you tried doing an archive and install of OS X? Have you tried backing up your stuff, and doing an erase and install (fresh install of OS X)?

When you boot from the OS X Installer DVD does it still do it?

You may of already tried all of these things, but I just thought I'd bring them up just in case.

Let me know...