X800XT doubles the 3D mark score over 9800xt - New interface in Macs soon?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by law guy, Jun 21, 2004.

1. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

I was just reading a review of new systems with the new Intel 925 and 915 chipsets on www.pcmag.com and noting the new graphics card interface. The quote below notes that the PCI-Express x16 interface had doubled scores over the 9800xt. I also noted that the chipsets are designed for 8 usb2 ports - handy. Do folks expect to see the new graphics bus in Macs anytime soon? Or has it taken Apple awhile to adapt their motherboards to new intel-spawned interfaces in the past? It seemed like functioning USB2 lagged half-a-year or so.

Anyway - here is the quote:

"Thanks to the ATI Radon X800XT, which was developed for the PCI-Express x16 interface in the Grantsdale chipset, the 8400's 3DMark03 scores almost double those from systems with the previous-generation graphics (such as the Radeon 9800XT and nVidia GeForce FX 5950)."

2. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Read the quote again, the PCI-Exp interface does not get the credit. Nor is it going to be coming to Macs before the next major PMac update, whenever that will be.

3. sandmann41 macrumors regular

on The Screensavers yesterday they said that pci express adds almost no performance over agp

4. brap macrumors 68000

It'll be like the jump from AGPx4 - x8. Nothing requires that kind of insane bandwidth yet (read: pretty much nothing, excluding networking), and VGA cards will only use (on the whole) one direction - something AGP provides very well thankyou. The whole PCI Express thing is designed for faster bidirectional communication.

5. kjwebb macrumors regular

Hang on, would I be correct that PCI-Express is PCI-X?

I think it is (unless my memory is serving me wrong).

If so, Apple has already got support in the G5's.

6. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

No, it's not the same. The G5's support PCI-X, NOT PCI-Express.

7. Mindfield macrumors member

PCI-Express and PCI-X are two completely different things.

8. kjwebb macrumors regular

Thanks for the correction.