X800XT finally shipped to my house! Yeh!

Discussion in 'Games' started by G5Unit, Jul 29, 2005.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Finaly got it! Woooo! I got it for a deal too! Just thought I would let everybody know after bugging the whole of macrumors about questions of what to get.

And why are there 2 dvi to vga adapters?
    And should I over clock it or just leave it as it is?

2. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

i wouldnt overclock it at al.. what part of san clemente do you live in? i use to live off of pico..

3. ultrarad macrumors newbie

I just bought an older PM G5 dual 2.0 (8-slots) and a new 20" cinema display for 10% off at Clubmac - I saved enough to get the x800. It's one pretty sweet card. I only wish my new display didn't have that one dead pixel in the lower right corner - oh well.

Next i'm gonna upgrade the ram - anyone have any preferences?

Installing the x800 was a snap, too. I've always liked ATI

www.frederickjmiller.com

4. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Ok I just stuck it in and BF is no better then it used to be! What gives? What settings do I have to tweak it to to make it play above 5 fps? Halo runs a lot better but BF almost lookks worse. And I turned on FSAA for BF and it didn't do anything! I would really appreticate some answers.

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

it's probably a bug or something in the game as opposed to your vid card or cpu. i have a vanilla x800 and get amazing performance in bf (granted in windows :rolleyes: ) have you tried reinstalling battlefield (assumign its that and not battlefront)
    btw, is an x800xt 16 pipes like an x850xt or 12 pipes like an x800 pro?

6. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I am getting really pissed because I just payed over 300 dollars to get the same graphics. Is there something I am doing wrong is BF 1942 just a messed up game?

7. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

what kind of card did you *used* to have....and what did you do with it ;)
    *cough* mine card sucks *cough*

8. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Ge force fx 5200 and its laying on my bed.

9. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Of course double-posting would solve you problem ;)

I think you should contact Aspyr and see if they help

11. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

you might wanna get it *off* your bed and into some sort of anti-static packaging, or at least a plastic baggie :eek:

12. mlrproducts macrumors 6502

Why? the only thing it is good for is traction in the snow

13. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Well, that seems wrong...I played the BF 1942 demo on my dual 2.5 with a 9600, and it ran OK, but was much faster with the X800. And antialiasing worked fine as far as I remember. (Are you using ATI overrides--which you should--or is there a setting in the game? Always use overrides rather than game settings.) Only thing I can think of is that 10.4 in combination with version 108 of the firmware on the X800 does bad things in some games. If that's what you have, either downgrade it to 104 or upgrade it to 109 (haven't done that myself).

--Eric

14. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I am using overrides but how can I make them take effect? Yeh in the berlin level I sometimes get really low fps like 5. I am usually between 200 and 400 percent bots. I thought that if I buy this card BF wold run at like 40fps everywhere. Should I get call of duty or Star Wars Battlefront? Please help.

15. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I was just play the Call of duty demo and the frame rate rocks! With every setting at max. I dont know the exact fps but I am just guessing. How do I know the FPS of the games I am playing? Is there I code I have to put in? I have already tried fps1 but it dosen't work. I just want to be able to get an fps average. Also is there some kind of an enable button to make the override settings work? And about the game having a glitch(Battlefield 1942) is it just my cd? Or does the game just suck.

P.S.: Sorry about all of the double posts.

16. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

My PowerBook and Dual G5 both get 60 FPS in COD. In COD United offensive, my G5 gets 60 fps and the PowerBook gets about 45.

The frame rates for this game are capped at 60 FPS - there are probably cheats out there that let you un-cap the rate but I am sure there the multiplayer server would pick this up and kick you.

The command for drawing the fps display is:

Enter the console by pressing the tilde key ~

then type:

seta cg_drawFPS 1

if you want it off, then just replace the 1 with a 0.

aussie_geek

17. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I tried doing that on halo, enemy territory and call of duty. The console dosen't show up on the call of duty demo niether does it on halo. It shoes up on enemy territory but it dosen't work. I still haven't tried it on BF though.

18. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Here's the email I just sent them:

Dear Aspyr,

Ok. About 5 months ago I purchased Battlefield 1942: Deluxe Edition for my Powermac G5. At the time I had a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 with 64mb vram. I knew the game would not run well because of my video card. And it didn't. In some places I got as low as 3 frames per second. I turned down my settings and here come the first problem. I get 3 fps with everything on max detail at 1280 by 1024 and I get about 5fps with everything down the lowest(640 by 480). I thought this was strange because I thought that if you lower the settings you get higher fps. But this didn't happen. The bright side is that in some places the fps went up to around 20. But that was with no action what so ever. I also have the game Halo. I get good fps on the game, about 20-40 with settings on max. So I was confused that I got up to 40 fps on Halo but only 3 on Battlefield.

But this was 5 months ago. A few days ago I purchased the Radeon X800Xt with 256 Mb vram. I bought this card because I wanted to get 50 fps and up in most areas. But I hoped wrong. This is because my graphics stayed the same. I went onto the Berlin and Battle of the Bulge levels and was very disappointed. I still got under 10 fps in most areas where there was action. The game also looked bad. This is because I have a friend with a PC that also has Battlefield running on it. He has and Nvidia GeForce Fx 5500 with 128 vram. The game runs as smooth as silk on his machine. The lighting and model reflections were a lot nicer on his game too. I said to myself, "I just payed over 300 dollars for nothing!?!" But then I went on Halo and saw the Fps had gone up a lot, not to mention the game looked more lush and the textures were nicer looking.

So I decided to go to Mac-Rumors Forums and check to see what I could do better. I guy said I should contact you guys and check if it is something wrong with my CD. Because he has a dual 2.5 G5 (Yes I know it's faster) with a 9600XT and he said the game runs ok. Now I am think to myself that ok means PLAYABLE. How are you suppose to play 1st person shooter at 5 fps? The other guy also said that cpu speed doesn't really matter very much. When you have a dual processor you usually even turn the second processor off to play better.

Now I also downloaded the demo of Call of Duty. The game runs terrific. Know I'm think to myself, "How can Battlefield run at 5 fps and this game run at like 60 fps? This game even has better graphics!" I know that macs are not really the best gaming machines. I also know that games that are converted to macs end up not performing as well. But com'n, 5 frames per second? Now I am thinking it's just MY CD. Which I hope it is. Because you guys also ported Call of Duty, Star wars Battlefront, and Doom 3 (Non of which I have). Those 3 games are pretty complex games that require good graphics cards. But Battlefield 1942 is almost 3 years old and a 256 Mb card can't even handle it? I know it's not the card, because all other games work fine.I would really appreciate a solution to my problem. And if you can not fix the problem I would also appreciate if I could return the game and receive a full refund. Now I'm just 13 years old so I still have lots of time to buy games in the rest of my life, and if you guys could help me fix this problem, I would defiantly purchase games from you in the future.

-Yes I have the new patch installed
    -Yes I have tried sing override settings to fix the problem (didn't work)

-

Oh and if a MOD is reading this, please don't count my posts to my post count because I am double posting a lot. Cause I don't know if I am spamming right now.

19. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Or in a post office evelope sent to my house
    ;)

20. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Best. Anti. FX5200. Post. Ever. :D

21. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

So does anyone think that is a good email?

Why, do you want to buy it?

I agree.

22. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Here is the answer I got back:

Aspyr Media Support Response

Hi

Battlefield should definitely be running faster than 5 fps on your machine. I would first recommend removing Battlefield from your computer. Instruction on how to do this are in the Read Me file for the game. After you do this, reinstall the 10.3.9 OS update. You can download it here:
    http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosxupdate1039.html

This will bind your new video card to your operating system. Now reinstall Battlefield and run the patch for the game available here:
    http://www.aspyr.com/games.php/mac/bf1942/support/
    Select article #1200

Let us know if any of this helps. Thanks for choosing Battlefield 1942, and have a great day!
    -------
    Aspyr Support Team

For more prompt service, please include all previous correspondence in your replies.
    www.aspyr.com/support/

I still have about 14fps in berlin max! Even after all the stuff I did. I was just playing agenst my friend with his geforce fx 5500 128mb and he had 99fps while I had 30. My other friend just bought a X700 agp and the game doesn't even run that good on his either(but we think it may be something wrong with his motherboard cause he has an athlon 64 and the computer slow as hell). Anyways, battlefield came with my friends fx 5500, could that be why its running so well? Your help is appriciated.

P.S.: I am thinking about running Doom 3 at max settings when I buy it. How will it run?
    P.P.S.: Another like triple post.

23. Church macrumors regular

Church

I know this is probably a stupid question, but did you install the latest rom for the video card? I heard this cut down on noise and stuff too, either way it doesn't really sound like the game to me..... link

24. Sladuuch macrumors newbie

but where'd it come from?

Question: Where did you get an ATI X800XT for $300? I'd love one, but the cheapest I've found is a bit above 415. If it came from, for example, some Russian u-buy-em GPU street booth on the icy steppes of the Mongolian Plateau, I can see where your problems are coming from.

25. applekid macrumors 68020

HA! :D

Don't kid yourself. Just know you'll have plenty of tweaking to do and max settings should not be your goal. Oh, it'll run at the right settings and look pretty, too, but not at the highest settings possible or even the second-highest.

And just reply to the Aspyr e-mail saying it didn't help. So far the only problem seems to be Battlefield 1942. I am a little confused why Aspyr told you to install 10.3.9... Do you not have Tiger?