X800XT or wait for X850XT Retail

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ArmouredGuitar, Jul 10, 2005.

1. ArmouredGuitar macrumors member

I really would like to get a new card for my G5, but can decide what to do, should I buy a X800XT or try and wait for a X850XT to become retail. Does anyone know when the X850's will be available to buy retail (a rough date?)? Is there alot more benifits with the X850 then there is with the X800 (spec wise)?
    Do either of these cards heat up the computer alot?
    ~Thanks~

2. gangst macrumors 6502a

How big is the performance difference between the 800 and 850?

3. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Depends on price, I wouldn't say the 850 is more than ~30-50USD more powerful. You can always overclock the 800 to 850 speeds.

And you can get http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=61 to cool it down and blow the air out the case.

4. gabt macrumors newbie

Wait 'till August

Hey,

I'm also looking to upgrade my video card. Was looking at the 800XT. I called ATI to ask them about it, and the technician actually advised me to wait 'till mid August to upgrade my card. He said ATI releases their new products in July/August, and that a new Mac card was likely (he couldn't confirm it, of course). I also asked about the possibility of a 512MB card, he said it was not out of the question. I couldn't believe he was willing to give up this info. Bottom line, and I quote him: "If you don't need it now, wait a month or so."

Good luck...

Gab

5. carlos700 macrumors regular

I would wait for the NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX to go mac or wait for ATI's next generation R520 graphics card.

6. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

DAMN! Just bought one. :mad:

7. ArmouredGuitar thread starter macrumors member

Hmmmm probably new cards for pc users, us mac users never get it at the same time :(

8. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I would wait for the X850 to be released and then buy the X800. You should see a significant price drop at that point. As one user stated, the performance difference is not substantial.

9. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Sounds great there will be a new card for Mac being released. Will this result in the cards already on the market becoming a little cheaper.

I am after a Radeon 9800 for my G4 tower.

aussie_geek