X850 BTO option on PM G5s!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ChrisFromCanada, Jun 28, 2005.

1. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Read it here:

http://www.apple.com/powermac/graphics.html

sorry if this has already been posted. I did a search and got nothing. Appears to be the same price as the 6800 GT and performs worse so I don't really see the point.

2. finchna macrumors regular

Yeah, I don't get it either. I saw the announcement and thought cool, but when I see the capabilities and that the 6800 is still the better card, I'm left wondering what's going on. Anyone out there who can share more info on this? Thx.

3. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Hmm... I don't know what they were thinking releasing a less powerful card for the same price. :confused:

They have done a slue of unmentioned updates today.

4. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

5. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Because ATi has better (actually simply HAS) Mac software... Catalyst. :)

WAIT. What makes you think the x850 is worse?!?

Comparisons here:
    http://www.barefeats.com/quick.html

6. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

I personally think that Apple is moving all if not most of it's product to ATI. I like ATI better the NVIDIA. They used to have the Nvidia 5200 in low end Macs and now they have the Radeon 9200.

7. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

The fx5200 is marginally better than the 9200 (which is in the minis)... the fx5200 supports core video at least, and has 64MB RAM vs. 32MB in the 9200.

I think you are right, in that Apple is moving their low end iMacs to the 9600 which DOES beat the 5200. (Maybe you meant 9600 when you wrote 9200) ;)

8. carlos700 macrumors regular

I would opt for the ATI RADEON X850 XT over the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL because it is a single slot solution and it should be more powerful. It seems they are no longer selling the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra -possibly they are making room for the new NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX.

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Remember early (rev B) Powerbooks 12 inch? they had 32 MB fx5200

10. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Someone else had mentioned that the X850 is better than the 6800GT (the same price Nvidia alternative). Bare Feats has the numbers, comparing both of those with the X800 and the 6800U. Really, for everything but Motion 2, the X850 is the card to pick performance-wise among the four, but more relevant to my decision (I'm about to order a PM) is the one slot vs two, and the generally better quality of the ATI drivers. I've had two Nvidia cards in a row have huge heat issues, and end up non-functional. I don't trust that a card that needs an extra slot's worth of cooling won't have other issues with heat.

-RS

11. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

When are the next generation video cards going to be on the market? Does anyone have a rough estimate of the time-frame?

12. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

As far as anyone knows, not till the mactels are released. All the next generation GPUs use pci-express so we can't use them.

Oh and if I was getting an X850 I'd be using one of these on them http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=61

As for me, got a PC Radeon 9800 Pro coming my way in a few days and I have an VGA cooler waiting for it.

13. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

They are available at the Apple Store (US). Go to the Customize your Mac section for purchasing a PowerPC G5

14. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

15. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

17. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Sorry i should have realized that the page may time out.

Graphics Support

ATI Radeon X850 XT
    The Radeon X850 XT graphics processor provides a significant step up in graphics processing horsepower. Featuring a 16-pixel pipeline architecture and a large 256 MB DDR SDRAM frame buffer the performance metrics delivered by the X850 XT are impressive; memory bandwidth is 34.6 GB per second, over 700 million vertices and over 8 billion textured pixels per second. This advanced graphics card also includes SMARTSHADER HD, the latest in graphics programmability allowing users to experience movie-quality effects in 3D games and pro applications. The Radeon X850 XT occupies a single slot and can support a single 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display on the DVI port. The second port on the Radeon X850 XT is an Apple Display Connector (ADC port) for direct connection of Apple flat panel displays with ADC connectors.

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL
    The groundbreaking NVIDIA GeForce 6800 graphics processor also features a 16-pixel pipeline architecture and support for the world's fastest GDDR3 memory to raise the bar for 3D graphics performance. The specifications for the GeForce 6800 GT DDL include memory bandwidth of 32GB per second throughput, 525 million vertices and 5.6 billion textured pixels per second. The card features NVIDIA's industry leading CineFX 3.0 technology allowing incredible special effects to be processed in real-time.

The GeForce 6800 GT GPU is built on an AGP 8X board and includes 256MB of GDDR3 memory for use in the most demanding graphics applications. The GeForce 6800 GT DDL card supports the DVI standard dual link digital signal specification on each of the two DVI ports that are included. Dual link capability is required to drive the 30-inch Apple Cinema HD display and the GeForce 6800 GT DDL can drive two of them. The combination of a GeForce 6800 GT DDL with a dual processor Power Mac G5 driving two 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Displays is the definitive tool for the creative professional. Special note on the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL: due to larger size of this advanced graphics card, the available PCI or PCI-X slots will be reduced to two slots from three.

Support for ADC, DVI and VGA
    All but the ATI Radeon X850 XT graphics card option comes standard with two DVI ports. The Radeon X850 XT features a DVI and an ADC port. VGA based monitors attach to the DVI port via the included DVI to VGA adapter provided with your Power Mac G5 system. The ATI Radeon 9650 and the Radeon X850 XT feature support for one 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display. The GeForce 6800 GT DDL features two dual-link DVI ports to support two 30-inch Apple Cinema HD's. ADC displays can be attached to any DVI port using an optional (sold separately) Apple DVI to ADC adapter.

Dual Display Modes
    Each card offers built-in dual display support in two useful modes. Extended Desktop mode allows users to work on two monitors at once for increased desktop real-estate (and increased productivity). Video mirroring is useful when presenting, so you can see the same image on a projector that you're seeing on your Apple display. Simply attach two monitors and the Mac OS will recognize your display. Use the Displays System Preference to configure your monitors in either extended desktop or mirrored desktop modes.

Dual Apple Flat Panel Displays
    Attach multiple Apple flat panels with DVI connectors to your Power Mac G5 graphics card directly. If you have an Apple flat panel with an ADC connector the optional Apple DVI to ADC adapter is required (sold separately). This adapter allows you to use the DVI port on your graphics card to drive an ADC monitor. Offering more than just a physical connection between a DVI port and a digital ADC monitor, it's been designed to maintain the digital integrity of the video signal to give you the ultimate pure digital experience. It features active components that regenerate both the digital graphics signal and the USB signal coming from the computer. The Apple DVI to ADC Adapter comes with a power supply, power cord and a 2-meter DVI/USB cable.

18. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

In short:

Best grfx card = Radeon X850 XT
    Need two 30" = GeForce 6800 GT.

Strange the 6800 Ultra has disappeared. I really, really, hope the 7800 is coming our way too. AGP 8x is still sufficient bandwidth for these cards.

19. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Yeah now the GT is back :confused: :confused:

Well lets see the 7800........and good that the X850 is only one slot, not like the PC version wich takes up 2 :rolleyes: ;)