x86 Assembly Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Sean7512, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

I have two quick questions...I am working on my final project for my Assembly class, it is a simple 2 player game. Anyways, here are my 2 questions:

1. Other than di and si, what are the other indexing registers available to use? Obviously those two are probably the more common ones, but what else can be used for indexing into arrays? I really need two more, but I'm forgetting other indexing registers.

2. Now that our beloved Macs run on x86 processors, is it possible to port this over to Mac OSX? In Windows, the program runs in DOS mode. The only potential problem that I can see is the beginning address to video ram on Mac OSX. In Windows (or at least what we're using), the beginning of video ram starts at 0b800h using the form es:[di]. Using this way, to write out, we are putting the character into al, the display attributes into ah, and then doing "mov es:[di],ax" (With of course es pointing to 0b800h) to print to the screen. I am not sure if OSX handles those calls differently or not. Other than that possible problem, would a port be pretty easy? And how would I compile and such?

Note: To compile and link in Windows, we are using TASM and TLINK.

Thanks in advance!!

2. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I figured out a way to program my game without needing other indexing registers, so all is good. But can somebody please help me port this over to Mac OSX? I don't think it should be hard to do for the intel Macs. If anyone has any idea, please help me.