XB360 vs. Windows for new game machine

Discussion in 'Games' started by Schmittroth, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

What should my next game machine be? Should I buy a Xbox 360 or just get Windows for my 24" iMac? My iMac is 2.16GHz with 2 gigs of RAM and the 7600 256mb video card. I also don't have an HDTV yet. I want to play Gears of War, but I also want to play Supreme Commander. Other games on my horizon are Guitar Hero, but I could just get a cheap PS2 and Unreal 2K7 will probably come out on both platforms. I really want to play Half LIfe 2, as well as Team Fortress 2 and Portals. How long does it take to reboot into Windows? It boots and shuts down OSX pretty quickly. Are older games cheaper on the 360 or for Windows (FEAR for example)?

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

If you already have a 24" iMac then windows will be the cheaper route all around. PC games always drop in price faster then console games so even that will make it cheaper. Plus, any game you get you will be able to play online for free. A year subscription to Xbox Live Gold will run you $60 ($5/mo), and while it does include some extras ($20 off a game, free Arcade game, free Headset, free points) it still costs money in the end.

Xbox 360 is going to depend on what games you want to play and what style of games. You also shouldn't have to worry about performance on a console. Halo 3, Gears of War, and other such games are coming, but if you don't consider any of the games "must have" then 360 is going to cost more and might not give you as many advantages.

I have an Xbox 360 and really enjoy it, I chose it because I knew I'd want to play Halo 3, plus I like sitting back on the couch and playing multiplayer games with friends. Consoles also last for at least 5 years, so no worries about upgrading (where in contrast, PCs get outdated much faster).

I made the choice of Mac for computing (I switched from PC) and 360 for gaming. It's saved me a lot of time as managing a Windows machine, especially a gaming machine, was something that always took a lot of extra work.

So if there isn't any software you really can't do with out that is exclusive to 360, and you don't mind rebooting to play games (this would annoy me), then getting Windows XP is going to save you a lot of money. Plus you have the back catalog of PC software, like Warcraft 3, etc.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Agree with Haoshiro

Just make the choice.

Your Imac is a great computer and should handle all current games well.

How it will handle a game like Crysis or future games remains to be seen. Also consider in 12-18 months time some games may be Vista only - which means you will have to buy Vista upgrade on top of XP which is costly.

But if at the moment the majority of the games you want are on PC too, then it is a cheaper route.

I have a great mac pro with X1900, but still prefer to game on console. That way I dont have to put up with configuring crap, installing games and all their legacy rubish (like steam) and find online so much more community based with live and with clans than I do on PC.

I dont like the fact that to see a game as it looks in a screenshot on a PC you have to constantly upgrade. A top gfx card costs more than a console anyway.

Besides FPS and RTS are not my favourite of genre's and this is where the pc excels at best.

4. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

True. :D

6. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I got xp pro for my imac because I need it for sql, visio and few other windows only dev tools but use it more for medieval2.

7. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

This is OT, but what version of SQL do you use MS-SQL? I was certain the MySQL dev tools had Mac versions.

Also, have you been able to compare Visio to OmniGraffle Pro? I'm interested to hear an experienced comparison :)

8. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I fail to see how Windows gaming is cheaper than 360 gaming, especially in the long term.

9. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

He already has a computer. So he can get XP for about $100 USD. Games are cheaper on windows, even new they are $49.99 vs $59.99, they also drop in price very quickly compared to 360 titles.

Plus free online gaming.

In the end, so long as he doesn't need to update his computer (or doesn't mind running in lower settings) running XP on his existing machine is cheaper then spending $400 for a 360.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's not in the long term especially if you want to keep up. But if he wants to play a few titles now, they should play on his imac.

Hence I said i wasnt sure about the situation 18 months time. But at that point when he cant update his imac's graphic card and new games will only run on medium/low settings on his current config, or they are vista only. He can then buy a console, which surely will have fallen at least $100 in price in 18months time.

11. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I have to use MS-SQL. However my prefrence is mysql and it is available in universal now. The company I consult for is aiding this organization transition from a ms-sql environment originally setup in the late90s to mysql. regarding visio the only thing that sets itself apart for me are some the advanced features. I have not gotten the newest version of omnigraffle yet but I do like the version I have only wishing it was a bit more robust. Again I should probably at least get the demo off the site if it is to my liking.

12. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

The 7600GT is a mid-range card. You have a 24". If you wish to play any of the DX10 or higher titles, you will need something far stronger (7900GTX or higher).

Considering that GPUs in iMacs are not upgradeable, I say don't waste your time. Get the XBOX360 instead. I too have a 24" screen, and with my system, it could barely handle normal games such as Oblivion or Supreme Commander. I was forced to drop down to 1680 or even 1280x720. Running at native resolution is going to be very painful if you only have a mid-range card like that.

13. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I say the 360 wins in the long run.

PC - The household got a PC mainly for gaming in Xmas '05. I love gaming on the PC, especially strategy games (I plan on buying the new Total War soon), but I don't like the fact that these machines require constant updates to run newer games decently. Sure, if your wallet can handle it, PC's do claim graphical dominance, but even this is meeting competition with the consoles. The whole new HD craze has console games looking better than ever. Plus, PC exclusives like Half-Life 2 and Call of Duty are being transfered over to the Xbox/Xbox 360. The free online play is nice, but in the long run between buying the actual computer and upgrades I honestly don't see it as the cheaper option.

Xbox 360 - Xmas '06 I received the lovely Xbox 360, Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion and Call of Duty 3. Unless your a strategy game junkie, I can't see you going wrong buying this console over a PC. $400 yes, and a somewhat pricey Xbox Live, but once you buy it there you have it. No upgrades needed. I do agree that the $60 price tag on games is really pushing it, but compare that to Graphics Cards and RAM updates. It's already received PC titles like Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion and Call of Duty 2 at the same time of their PC releases, and even Call of Duty 3. Call of Duty has always been released on the PC, but not this time. The consoles have really begun to shine. The Xbox 360 has a good gaming path set for it. It should last a good 5 years.

Feel free to correct me anybody, but that's just how I see it.

14. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

If you buy XP now, you'll get a copy of Vista for $10 (for shipping and handling).

Just check MS's web site.

15. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Don't let me other posts fool you, I definitely chose a 360 myself for many of the reasons other people are saying.

I just wanted to point out that if there isn't any 360 exclusives you want, Windows can be cheaper for light gaming. If you want cutting edge gaming the iMac is just not going to cut it, if you want something you can take to a LAN party or something, and enjoy last-years greats at really cheap prices, Windows will get you their just fine - and cheap.

16. Schmittroth thread starter macrumors regular

Schmittroth

Wont the 360 lag behind future DX10 games just like my Mac? Will DX10 even make it to the 360? I guess right now I'm leaning towards getting windows now and riding that for a couple of years and waiting until the 360 is mid lifespan and cheaper. At that point the Mac will be showing it's age gamewise and it'll be easier to 'upgrade' to the 360.

17. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

That's not a bad idea, but I don't really think 360 will be lagging behind at all.

The 360 hardware is very capable and already using features very close to that in DX10. Realize that DX10 is simply hardware abstraction layer that makes taking advantage of advanced features easier. It doesn't actually designate specific hardware features, it's just an easier descriptor for hardware companies so they can say they have a "DX10 GPU" which immediately says they have hardware support for the DX10 API. The 360 can still pull off all these features and possibly even more, they might not be available through "DX10", per-say, but it doesn't mean they can't produce the same effect directly on the hardware.

Holiday 2007 will probably one of the best times to buy a 360, so if you don't mind waiting and paying for Windows now, 360 will definitely be a great choice at the end of the year, the downside is there will be so much content you might never be able to catch up. :)

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No.

Although the 360 itself doesnt support DX10, it's GPU does have most of the hardware effect DX10 implements on a pc.

Mircosoft will update Dev tools to translate DX10 instructions to the 360's API which will mean a similar result onscreen albeit not exactly DX10

It wont be doing these effects is software, as the gpu has them, just it needs different instructions to be told how to do them. Thats why M$ will update the dev tools to translate DX10 instructions API's to the 360's language set.

So the 360 will not lag behind at all. The GPU in the 360 was ahead of its time and its only now that ATI are releasing gpus for PCs that have similar features.