xbench for Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by IBSNOWEDIN, May 6, 2005.

1. IBSNOWEDIN macrumors member

Hi, i'm not too sure where to put this topic.

I'm benching my Macs with xbench and cinebench and i want to see how it stands to my PC, i can do cinebench and comepare but when it comes to xbench i can't.

I was wondering if their is a program like xbench for windows that i could test my PC on to compare with my Macs.

Thanks

2. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    For further reference, posts like this should go in the community discussion. Anyway, there is no direct comparison to xbench as xbench uses Mac OS X specific functions to test (such as Quartz). The best thing for comparing the two platforms are things like Cinebench which run on both. For an idea on some, check out the site barefeats.com, they do a lot of Mac vs. PC tests, so you can see what software they use and get it for yourself.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Why? This is the Mac Apps section, and XBench is an app which is available for Mac.

4. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Because he's asking about Windows software like Xbench, not software for the Mac, at least that was my impression of where things should be when I asked Mudbug. I could have misinterpreted him though. :)

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well, since we're talking about apps, they should probably go in the Apps forum. Maybe we should rename the forum :)

6. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Last post on this topic, I promise. ;) When the reorganization happened, I thought there should be a section for non-Mac related requests as that would help stem this sort of confusion. Even IBSNOWEDIN wasn't sure whether this was the right place or not.

7. IBSNOWEDIN thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the info! yea i wasn't really sure where to put this.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Once we've worked out where exactly this sould go, I'd love to know the answer too. How about this Cinebench? Is it fair? I imagine it'd be difficult for a company to write a piece of software that measures the speed of two completely different operating systems.

9. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In my opinion it is a fairly good test. It is optimized for both platforms (there are MMX, SSE, and AltiVec optimizations). It does both CPU render tests and OpenGL render tests as well so you can compare video card performance. But it's downfall is that it is specific to 3d rendering, so unless your main use of a box is doing 3d in Cinema 4D, then the results are not the end all be all of testing. If you do 3d in Maya then there are tests that you can do in Maya, such as is used here: http://barefeats.com/maya.html. And if primarily do something else you should try to find a benchmark related to that task.