xbench results .. ???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Joeytpg, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

i guys, i have a simple question......

today i installed a 512mb ram chip in my 15" 1.33ghz powerbook..........so.....i had 256 as normal.........and now i have 768.............and even when it seem faster (i still have to test it more with daily use) but even when it seems faster i tested with xbench and the results with 256 ram where better than with 768................

with the stock 256 it was 116.68, and with 768 i test it 3 times: 1) 108, but i had a few application opened, so i closed them and tested it again....and 215 was the best one.............so 115 after upgrading ram?......and 116.68 with only 256 stock?............anything wrong?.....or is this normal

now i have more things in my hard drive (more videos and mp3's and programs ......than before) but i don't think that's a problem.

thanks for inputs

Update: it is faster.......but i don't know why the xbench came out worst than with the stock 256.

P.S. by the way the memory brand i bought was CENTON ELECTRONICS www.centon.com is this good?...

i know crucial is the most recommended here but i asked an uncle so buy the memory at compusa and he got that one (the guy from the store told him that it was compatible with Apple)....

...and since i told him to get PC2700 and gave him every little detail....well it's working because my pbook inmediatly recognized it

what do you think about CENTON?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd be worried. I've never heard of Centon RAM, but a 12" 1.33GHz G4 PB with similar specs gets about 120 on XBench, and this is with a worse video card. You should have gotten higher because of superior video card of the 15" and 17" models, and with the extra RAM, you should have had a score of 130+.

Is theCenton RAM you got definitely PC2700 RAM at 333MHz? Forget what the salesman said. He may not know much about Apple's, or computers for that matter. If the RAM he gave you is PC2100 RAM at 266MHz, then it's still usable in your PB, so he's right in trying to sell you compatible RAM, since it IS compatible with your system. However, the speed of both sticks of RAM have to be the same, so the RAM included by Apple would slow itself down to the speed of the Centon RAM. This is true ONLY if he sold you the PC2100 RAM at 266MHz that's listed on the www.centon.com website, thinking it was compatible (which is true, but its not the best solution).

I was thinking that maybe the system was trying to put the new RAM to use during the test, and since the new RAM is possibly slower than the included RAM, all processes are a bit slower.

Sorry, just a guess.

3. angelneo macrumors 68000

Another guess here as I'm not sure how xbench test the system but if xbench run performance test focusing mainly on stuff like processor speed, hard disk access speed, graphics card rendering speed. I think more RAM doesn't help much. RAM is more applicable when you are loading multiple applications or when your application needs lots of memory to run. feel free to correct me if I am wrong

4. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

well that's what i'm thinking now........maybe ram doesn't have too much to do with xbench results.

my vram is 64, so it's the dame as in a 12 pbook.......i have the simple 15" model, today i test it again......and i got 116.32 ...............

about the centon electronics brand..........i got the pc2700 333MHz, so this is the one............and i went to their site (www.centon.com) and they are compatible with apple, so i guess it's ok.............not every memory has to be crucial or corsair right?..........so far i've had no freezing, nor a bad sign at all..........and the system recognized it inmediately, after it was installed.

so i'm guessing that maybe xbench doesn't have anything to do with ram..............it's just the things angelneo mentioned.

thanks anyways! :D

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, it does have something to do with RAM. ;)

I don't know why this should be an issue if your RAM is working correctly, but go to System Pref > Energy Saver, and make sure your CPU setting is turned from "Automatic" to "Highest Performance".

6. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

it is on h.performance............and i test it again and it's 116.50 ......so i don't really understand hehehe......the ram if functioning pretty well..............and like i said......if there was a problem with it.....i would have known already...........but the system detected it well and it shows at the "about this mac"" option that it has 768 ram..........so.....i'm guessing it's not the ram!.......i repaired permissions and everything......but still......i don't know........maybe 116 isn't bad........considering my powerbook and the lower end 15" model (1.33 with 64 vram) so who knows....

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Have you changed settings in the "energy settings" control panel to "best performance", (i'm not using english osx, but i think its labeled something like this..) if settings are "automatic" they will influence on the benchmark.
    Don't run on battery while benchmarking.

-tb

8. allroy macrumors member

easy to figure out...

pull the ram, restart, don't open anything and run xbench. Next add the ram, restart no apps open just xbench and run it, making sure highest performance is on.

If the ram slows it down return it.

9. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i'm sure you've done this, but are you sure your computer recognizes the RAM? Apple menu --> About this Mac

before i do an xbench test, i always log out and log back in while holding down the shift key so that none of my extra programs launch...

and of course, you've already checked your energy settings, and you are plugged in...

reality