XBox 2 Development Kit Is Here

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by deanbo, Apr 20, 2005.

1. deanbo macrumors regular

OK so the XBox 2 development kit is a Power Mac G5 dual 2GHz, with 512MB of RAM and a Radeon X800XT.

Still waiting to know what the actual XBox 2 is going to be running on.

2. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Where did this come from? Did microsoft announce this, or are you speculating, cause I'm not sure this is thread is really anything but spam.

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

hmm.

Microsoft does own quite a few Macintosh computers for verious reasons. Mostly for building and testing software for the Macintosh systems.

I wonder if someone took a picture of a Microsoft owned G5, and posted these rumors.

Their is rumor that the Xbox will be using a G5 processor however.

I would like to see what is in the background of that G5. curious why it is so tightly cropped.

4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Ok, I appologise for saying you were spamming, but you should just post those links off the bat. As for what it will be running, everyone says it will run 3 3GHz PPC chips. But I don't think they realise thats crazy talk, or at leaste I believe it is.

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i wonder why they would only put 512 of ram in it?

6. andrewfee macrumors 6502

The alpha/beta kits were Powermacs: developers have been getting final hardware dev-kits over the last few weeks.

For fixed platform such as a console, 512mb or RAM is more than enough: the current xbox only has 64mb which is part of its UMA (unified memory architecture) meaning that 64mb is split between the graphics processor, sound chip etc as the developer sees fit.