Xbox 2 SDK and Window NT Kernal Released on Apple Power Mac G5s

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Sun Baked, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Inquirer Article...

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Hmmm...That brings up a lot of questions that I didn't have before, and a lot more interest in the Xbox 2. I wonder if we're going to see something we didn't expect here...

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Interesting... but I don't know how much i believe this. I mean, surely M$ could have used some other way to do this other than using Apple computers.

4. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

They could have used some other way but building another set of machines to builds on could prove expensive. They've gone with what works :)

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

this way was easier and probably cheaper in the long run. this acutally helps apple. if the SDK on the G5 are producing assembly code that runs on the same processor, i smell alot more games in the future on macs.

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

What about DirectX? I know thats used on Windows games, but I don't know how it stands on the XBox platform. If XBox games used DirectX, there's pretty much no hope of it running on the Mac, unless MS ports it to the Mac, or just uses OpenGL.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

That'll be the day:
    XBox games using OpenGL!

That would really push the game developers to using OpenGL instead of DirectX.
    IMHO DirectX not being available for the Mac is one of the main reasons why game many game developers are not developing for Macintosh, and why we have to rely on the (great!) efforts of Aspyr and Feral etc.