XBox 2 status?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Daveway, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Does anyone know of the status of the next XBox? I heard it may be unveiled at CES in January.

2. atif.muhammad macrumors member

who cares about the Xbox?
    the only reason someone wants an Xbox nowadays is because of Halo 2.
    when it comes to a good variety of games, the PS2 is way ahead

3. mcarvin macrumors regular

Xbox2 devs are supposed to get their updated G5 rigs in January. Sometime in '06 is the most likely date, but I think I saw something where they were going to try for the '05 holiday season to try and beat PS3's debut.

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

It will most likely be unveiled (or atleast announced) at CES in January. The best guess is that it won't ship until late 2005, though.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

PS3 will ship late 2005 to mid 2006. I'd guess that MS will wait until after that to make sure they have a faster system than Sony and also so they include all the options that the PS3 has. Thats just the MS way.

6. kucchi macrumors member

7. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Xbox2 already?
    Give me a chance, only just got a Xbox1.
    I just hope the UK version is Hi-Def ready with progressive scan, its such a pain having a 26" sony LCD and having to play games 480i rather than 480p. Anyone in the UK with an unmodded Pal Xbox found an easy way to get progessive? Sooo impressed with Fifa2005, Halo1/2 and as for RallyChallenge2, well it's so visually realistic....words fail me, amazing
    As for the next gen Sony and M$ consoles, as long as Sony doesnt drop the ball I suspect M$ will be playing catchup again. Either way we win. :)

Oh, any recommendations for other driving games or FPS's?

8. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

It hasn't even been announced, but most consoles start at $300 when released.

9. AmnesiacOpera macrumors member

Xbox 2 (or Xbox Next, or whatever it's destined to be called) has already been confirmed by Microsoft to ship in the fall of 2005, before the PS3 and Nintendo Revolution, which are both scheduled for late 2006 releases. It is also likely that it will not include a harddrive to keep prices down.

10. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Do you have a link to where Misrosoft has said that xbox next will ship in 2005? The last thing I heard is that they weren't going to get beaten to the market, like they were with the PS2.

11. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Actually, there will be a hard drive and non-hard drive version, supposedly, at launch.

A third "multimedia home system" XBox w/ a computer is rumored to come later.

- Don

12. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

Very little is known for sure, but here is what i have heard that I believe is accurate. I think all three companies have said that they will use IBM and ATI to supply processor and graphics chips. This will make all three systems very similar with the exception of the xbox which wants to come out sooner and will be the most obsolete system when PS3 and Revolution come out.

A few issues this brings up is that IBM has had trouble with a few of its processor lines. The PS3 is supposed to use the new cell chip, which I don't think is production at this time. All three systems want to use top of the line hardware that could easily delay or up the cost of the next gen consoles. Also, microsoft's change from using nvidia graphics cards to the ATI cards may affect backwards compatibilty with xbox games. To keep prices down at first, there may be a lot of add-ons like hard drives, wi-fi, and such.

It will be interesting to see how things unfold as I don't believe that they can do what they want and still hit a price point of around $300. The only thing for certain is that, with sony, nintendo, and microsoft competing, we can all expect an awesome next gen console at competitive prices. I think most online gaming websites have said that E3 this year will see more info on these systems.

13. Jaz macrumors regular

Not quite. IBM yes, ATI no. Sony, IBM and Toshiba are doing the Cell processor which will handle major multimedia/CPU functions for PS3. Sony just announced that nVidia are helping out on the PS3, probably in the graphics interconnects area as well as GPU additions. ATI are not in on the PS3, but are on Xbox2 and Nintendo Revolution. IBM will likely provide PowerPC variants for CPUs in those two also.

Link:
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20041207-4440.html

14. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

Thanks for the correction, interesting article.

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

So far as backwards compatibility, I'd have thought the switch from x86 (It's a PIII 700 or 733 in there) to PPC will be a far greater issue than a video card change.

16. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Lol so did I. But I won't buy it right away, probaly not until a year after it's realese. First it needs to build up atleast a small libairy of games.