xbox 360+19" HDTV LCD= PGR3 looks like crap.

Discussion in 'Games' started by quagmire, Dec 3, 2006.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

So I just got a Samsung 19" HDTV LCD for my room and the 360( actually sole purpose for getting an HDTV as my room is incapable of playing TV in HD). Plug it in, looks sweet. Plug in component cables and switch the switch that connects to the 360 to HDTV. Turn on 360 and play PGR3. The lines are rough and jagged on the cars and the scenery is a bit distorted. Okay, I think is it just the game? Or is the TV crap? Switch to Battlefield 2: MC. It looks sweet in HD and nothing wrong. So it is PGR3. Ask a friend. Apparently he also has a HDTV. A 52" DLP HDTV and PGR3 looks sweet on his TV according to him. He suggested adjust the settings in PGR3. Haven't tried it yet as I just got up. But, could adjusting the settings improve the picture? Have any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.

2. benpatient macrumors 68000

PGR3 is known to look this way on some screens...

the problem is that the internal render for in-game scenes with PGR3 is actually 1024x600, which is then upconverted to 720p

In the case of your screen, i'm not sure which model you have, but it might be outputting 480p for some reason with PGR3.

make sure you're outputting as close to the native resolution of your screen as possible, erring on the side of "more" instead of "less" resolution.

if you've got the 1280x1024 pixel samsung 19" tv, then go with 720p output.

if your resolution is higher, set the 360 to 1080i or 1080p if you're hooking up over vga.

PGR3 is apparently a "special case" because it was a launch title and they didn't have enough time with the final hardware to get it running like they wanted, so the resolution had to be capped and then the 360 upconverts it to 720p.

3. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Yeah, thanks. I set it to 1080i( the Samsung can't do 1080p) and it looks much better, but the lines are still a bit jagged and rough. Hope PGR4 is better on the HD front.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

dude, that isn't cool. I just got a 19" Samsung HDTV too, the black one with DVI instead of HDMI (doh..). I haven't plugged my 360 into it yet, only my PS2. I will grab PGR3 off my friend and give'r a go to see if i get the same deal.

5. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Is it this one?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=159468

Because that's the one I got.

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

yup thats the one. I got it for 479.99 cdn. I love it so far. I wish it had HDMI and an Audio-out but oh well, its still sweet.

7. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire