XBOX 360 - Advice please!

Discussion in 'Games' started by MisterEd, Sep 30, 2006.

1. MisterEd macrumors 6502

Ok, so I've decided to bite the bullet and get a 360. It's just becoming too tempting with all of these upcoming games and new bundle deals and everything.
    My only problem is that I don't have a HD display in my house. (except this here iMac) So I need some kind of display for it to run on.
    Would I get a good enough experience buying a 19" widescreen monitor, and running it through VGA from the 360? I don't have that big a budget, and this seems the easiset way of making the most of the High Def console!
    I've looked at HD TV's, and I really like this Samsung 23", but it retails at £500 and there's no way I can afford this plus the console (Student Budget!)
    My overall budget is about £600, with £299 being taken for the console bundle.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    Thanks

Ed

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

yep a 19" widescreen monitor with 1400x900 (seems to be the average our there) can be picked up for around $200

Buy one with DVI and you can use it with your computer too.

Simply use the VGA cable from the 360 with the monitor and you should have a HD display (and it will be very good), but remember you need sound so you will still need speakers or a 5.1 system to plug into....

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AL1916W-...s_9/104-0609077-6708745?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

http://www.amazon.com/New-Arrival-H...s_7/104-0609077-6708745?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

for example...

3. LastLine macrumors 65816

I picked up a Hanss G 19" Widescreen off play.com and it's great. I picked up a VGA cable to connect it with (the Macbook goes into the DVI socket) and it works well. A phone to stereo connection let me connect the audio cables to the (rather uncontrollable) but surprisingly beefy speakers.

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

you dont have to use a HD display, it has he option for standard composite video!

5. MisterEd thread starter macrumors 6502

This is true, but the I wouldn't be able to stand using it knowing that it's capable of so much more!!

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So true,

the whole point of these new devices is that they are HD High Resolution.
    To use composite (worse picture above RHF) seems totally pointless.

OT - after a year of being spoilt with HD gaming using my 360 - last night I decided to play my xbox on my 42" lcd via component. The games looked so so bad - otogi 2 looked awful now.

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

be careful, once you go HD it's really hard to go back to SD :p My buddy has a 360 but on a 27" tv and im used to paying in a 44" DLP so going from :D to :eek: is rough. The NHL 07 tournies have to be at mi casa

8. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I play mine all the time on SD. I have played on HD too, but I don't have the cash for a new HDTV right now, so I continue to play on the SDTV. At anyrate, the graphics is still quite superior on SD, just not as good as HD. I rather play on SD then not at all, but that is just me...:p

9. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

Don't do it the Xbox 360 has serious qulity control issues. from what i've seen they have close to a 1 in 4 failure rate. The warranty is only for 3 months. and after that M$ wants $125 per repair if you don't get the extended warranty. I actually bought one at Target a few days ago. and I have to say these things are very loud and run very hot. my Dual Core Athlon X2 / Geforce 7800GT PC is not even this loud. As a result of this bothersome issue, plus the lack of great games I took it back for a refund and will wait for the Wii. Save the $400 on something worth it.

Just go to customer reviews on Amazon.com , NewEgg , or do a goole search for "Xbox360 Rings of Death"

Seriously , I refuse to buy another Xbox360 until M$ shrinks the CPU to 65nm, and redesigns the whole system with a much smaller power brick.

10. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

And this is a prime example of FUD.

Go ahead and get a 360 – you'll enjoy yourself. The odds of you getting a lemon are far smaller than 1 in 4.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I bought two 360's at launch. 1 died after 3 weeks and was replaced in january. Since then both my 360's are working perfectly. I gave one to my cousin and is played with about 25-30 hours a week or more (students at uni :rolleyes: ) mine gets around 6-8 hours play in a week. (mine is the replaced model)

I do have occasional crashes with dashboard notifications, but these should be addressed with the upcoming software update.

Get the 360, you wont regret it. And dont listen to FUD as Mackilroy puts it so eloquently :D

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

riiight. The 1 in 4 rate? I think thats little bit over the top :rolleyes:

It does run quite loud and quite warm though.

13. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

My 360 runs just fine, although I did buy a fan for it just in case. It's by far the best gaming console I've ever owned, and the selection of games is getting better and better.... dead rising is a lot of fun, as is Saint's Row and Star Wars Lego 2. The best part, though, is Live, which Sony better have studied really hard for the PS3. Streaming iTunes is also great, and works more consistently than my Airport Express.

14. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

if you wanna be tempted to buy a 360 even more, go to gametrailers.com and watch the developer commentary on Gears of War in HD.... November 7th ain't commin fast enough :D

15. MisterEd thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice guys!

I may just go and order that monitor and 360 bundle from play.com now! :D

Just one thing... can I do anything like streaming my iTunes from my Mac? or is all that integrated stuff just with windows?

Thanks
    Ed

16. LastLine macrumors 65816

Just make sure to get the official Xbox 360 VGA Cable - I got a Game one and it's slightly dissapointing - as soon as budget allows I'm going to get the slightly dearer, but apparently much higher quality, official one.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I can verify this.

I bought an official one & unofficial and the cheaper one was useless. Ghosting problems etc. I also bought a spare component 3rd party and that's rubbish too. Maybe cheaper but false economy, because you end up having to buy the official anyway....

18. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

Connect 360 is all you need... install it on your mac and the 360 will see it over the network, and that's it. It won't play songs purchased from the iTunes store. It plays mp3 and AAC just fine. It also plays your iTunes playlists. It's $20 shareware, and worth every penny, in my opinion.

It does photos from iPhoto as well, which look great on an HDTV.

No movies at this point.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But that's not because it's mac. Even on PC it's only stuff physically recorded through windows media centre (dv-rs files) that can be streamed. Very limited, no div x or anything....

20. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

True, although apparently there is a workaround or two for DIVX...

Haven't tried it myself, since I don't do windows.;)

21. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

DVR-MS files are huge. :mad:

I wish my Media Center PC could record TV in DivX/MPEG-4.

Not MPEG-2. A 25 minute episode is 1.2 GB big. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

22. coal macrumors regular

coal

This works really well. It's a bit awkward as its an additional program to run and not just integrated into the original software, but it plays basically anything I send at it. Definitely worth trying if you have an old Windows box lying around.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

EyeTV recordings here are 1gb for 30 minutes. Then again it is a direct digital TV rip at x*576 (depends on widescreen or not).

24. stagecustom macrumors regular

i did the same and i got this terrible ghosting/shadows. then i got a nicer LG widescreen and this is the same problem. im gonna go to the store tomorrow and try them out with my 360 maybe my cable is bad. it worked fine before on my 15" LCD. check out my problem.

Attached Files:

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sounds like the cable to me. Is it an official one ?