Xbox 360 and my iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Lustaf, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Lustaf macrumors newbie

Apr 27, 2006
    I'll be going back to University in the fall/winter semester and space my become an issue. So I've been thinking about hooking up my 360 to the iMac, but I'm not sure which product I should pick up or if it is even really an option.

I've looked briefly at the Eye TV Hybird and it seems it would do what I need but will I notice latency? Are the iMac screens fast enough to keep up with the action?

I would really appreaciate anyones advice on this subject.
  2. Danny Futuro macrumors member

Sep 1, 2006
    I 2nd this. I want to be able to play Wii on my 23 inch cinema display, preferably in full screen, or as close to it as I can get while maintaining a decent resolution without too many artifacts.
  3. Josias macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2006
    1. The iMac has no video in. You can't use it's screen for anything else but the iMac itself. Though you may be able to get a FireWire video device, it's painfully slow, and would at no point be able to pull through the iMac resolution.
    2. Wii can not be added to an ACD. It doesn't support DVI out, unless Nintendo really surprises.;)
  4. imnotatfault macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    EyeTV 250 and (as far as I know) EyeTV Hybrid both have video game mode support where it turns off hardware decoding and goes straight to your monitor through the video inputs. Delay is only of milliseconds if any, I believe.

Nintendo Wii is supposed to have video out straight to computer monitor from what the system specs say, and they also said no HDMI, so look for either VGA or DVI for that, almost definite.
  5. Lustaf thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 27, 2006
    Well those two posts are kinda conflicting.

Does anyone else have information to clear this up for the two of us? Has anyone tried running a gaming system on there Macs with any Eye tv product or any similar device?
  6. imnotatfault macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    sorry didn't mean for them to work in conjunction.
    if iMac has no video inputs, then you'd need to pass through the EyeTV.
    info about that is well-documented on the elgato web site.
  7. davrouk Guest

I have also been trying to find a solution to this, but come up with nothing.

I can't afford a HD screen for my 360, and was hoping to use the iMac screen to play my 360 in 720p.

Any suggestions (or confirmations it cant be done) extremely welcome!
  8. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2004
    Los Angeles.
    Adaptec 1400 GameBridge

That is a product that will do exactly what you want, except that it only runs in Windows. If you dual-boot excellent, but I can attest the EyeTV EZ and im sure the rest of the line works fine for playing games. I had my 360 hooked up to my iMac through the EZ and it worked like a charm.
  9. davrouk Guest

Did you hook your xbox up with s-video or component cables.

Really the goal is to get 720p on the computer screen, otherwise I may as well just stick with my TV

Thanks for the quick reply by the way! :)
  10. TBi macrumors 68030

Jul 26, 2005
    This thread is exactly why i got a dell monitor. With even the standard 20" i can get the VGA connector for the xbox 360 and even plug the Wii into the s-video or composite inputs. If you had the 24" you could connect the xbox up via component.

The iMacs are a waste of a screen if you want to do anything at all else with it.

Oh and i know you can use eye tv, but that will only work while the computer itself is turned on and will be no where near the same quality.