Xbox 360 and Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by dukefan71, Jul 31, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

So I have searched for hours, without a definitive answer. Anyone's experience would be most appreciated.

I just ordered an Xbox 360 Slim (I guess- the 4gb Kinect Bundle one), and was wondering if I would have any issues connecting it wirelessly with the Time Capsule. I have read there were past issues, which seemed to be from the Xbox wireless card in previous generations.

I bought the TC last year, dual band 1TB. The radio mode is set to Automatic; and reads 802.11a/n-802.11b/g/n. I assume this means it is broadcasting both networks. I have not set up any other networks; I mean I haven't set up a special network for the faster speeds. The radio channel selection is Automatic also. Running latest firmware 7.5.2. Ethernet cable from modem to TC.

Never had any connection problems; have a 2010 MBP, Wii and PS3, along with an Ipad and not one hiccup.

Any chance this will run out of the box?

2. macrumors 6502a

Yes it should. Why post before there is an actual issue? :)

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

To see if there are preparations I need to make, like running additional cable or purchasing supplemental equipment, before I have any disappointed kids.

4. macrumors 6502a

sinser

Yes it works. I bought an XBox for my nephew and I connect it to TM network.
    TM is working in bridge mode and connected to a netgear modem.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the responses. There just didn't seem to be a lot of info regarding the Xbox and TC. I did find a little more with regard to an Airport Extreme.

6. macrumors regular

With my airport extreme my Xbox works flawlessly using "connect360" app

7. macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

Not wanting to reserect an old thread but I recently bought a Timecapsule and my home network is great. However when I went to use my Xbox slim today, it won't connect. I get as far as entering my pass key (as it sees my network fine) but it won't connect. Anybody got a solution that doesn't involve an Ethernet cable or buying an airport express.

8. ugp
    macrumors 65816

ugp

I've never had an issue with mine. From time to time I will have a Moderate NAT Type in certain games but doesn't seem to affect anything.

9. macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

Are you connected wirelessly? I can connect, but am trying to install an update and it fails. I've spoken to their helpline and they suggest I use a cable. As the Timecapsule is upstairs and the Xbox is down that's not very practical. I've borrowed a long cable from work and will try that at the weekend to install the update. Hopefully it will be okay then.

10. ugp
    macrumors 65816

ugp

I do have two Xbox's connected via Wireless. One is Hardwired.

11. macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

So I have installed the system update using the ethernet cable (which I've now had to remove) and I still can't connect wirelessly. I have tried manually setting the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and I still can't get on. Anybody with a solution would be much appreciated.

12. macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

So incase someone is having an issue similar to this one here is what I did.
    Open Airport utility on your Mac.
    Select your time capsule and edit (it may need unlocking).
    Select wireless then wireless options.
    Check the 5GHz box and then manually select channels for both 2.4GHz & 5GHz channels. When doing this, be sure not to select channels in use in your neighbourhood. To check this click on about this Mac, More information, System report. Scroll down the left and select Wi-Fi and you will see what channels are in use. Choose one furthest away from those numbers. This worked for me. Hope it will for you to. Happy gaming!