XBox 360 Backwards Compatability list (top-selling titles and all)

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Nov 11, 2005.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004

200 games, not bad.

This proves my patch-theory, so :p to you doubters! Heh, but looks like they've got all the major games on the list, so only players of obscure games will complain methinks.
    And people without a hard drive.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Bay of Fundy
    please please! someone hack the emulation software to allow Xbox games on G5s :cool:
  3. G5Unit macrumors 68020

Apr 3, 2005
    I'm calling the cops
    I want to play Xbox games on my G5:p I just played Xbox 360 at walmart. The Graphics Suck! It was like a 20 something inch display and the res was APOS! I was Playing Call of Duty 2. The Textures were also very low res.
  4. Vader macrumors 65816

Oct 11, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    That is a lot of supported games, yet I only have 2 of them out of my 11 games.
  5. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    There are still a lot of what I thought were the most popular games not on that list such as Splinter Cell (any of them), Counter-Strike, Dead to Rights, Top Spin. These are all games I have and are pretty popular. I'm not too worried though, I won't be buying an XBox 360 until Halo 3 so hopefully by that time there will have a lot more games compatable.
  6. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    As long as halo 2 works (which it does) I am a happy camper. I'm sure they'll fit Splinter Cell & others eventually. M$ seems very committed and will probably work on it just for marketing clout against the PS3.

The day I get a 360 I'm going to mod the living heck out of my ol' XBOX and make it a nice little Media Center :)
  7. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    It's not emulation. They have a patch for every game, 200 patches preloaded on the hard drive. The patch contains the binary for the game, recompiled for PowerPC instead of Intel, and uses all the data on the disk, thus the game runs PowerPC-native.

As I understand it, anyway.
  8. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Remember that this is the list that will come preloaded on the HD at launch. Later on more will be downloadable.
  9. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.
    I believe MS is calling it a software emulator.

I dont see Doom 3. Also dont forget, its not only being from x86 to PPC, its going from a GeForce 3 to a Radeon x2800 or so. (Doesnt know what the next version of the ATi chipset that is used in the X360 that will be out next year will be called, just guessing :/) Nvidia has a lot of special instructions in that version of the GeForce 3 Ti, dubbed the XGPU.
  10. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Actually, Microsoft are calling them "emulation profiles". A very confusing term. These "emulation profiles" seem to be exactly like patches; there is one for every game, and you can download them as they become available to run your old XBox games. Prior to Microsoft officially announcing it and coining that term, all the sites were calling them patches, so they're basicly the same thing.

IIRC, Microsoft gave up and paid NVidia the royalties for that.
  11. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    hmm 200 patches preloaded? according to the article it's 2: halo 1 and halo 2 .. as far as i understood it
    those on the list are downloadable

"Obviously, a 360 hard drive--which comes with the Halo and Halo 2 software preinstalled--is required the backwards-compatibility software"

that aside it's exactly what was expected : download binaries/patches/"emulationprofiles" (microsoft afraid to call it patches ? ;) ) for each game
  12. satans_banjo macrumors regular

Sep 12, 2005
    SE London
    damn no pro evo 4

now i'll have to splash out on pro evo 5, or the xbox 360 one
  13. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    No Panzer Dragoon Orta? yesterday i played an unimpressive 360 and now they dont support my greatest Xbox game. nope.

HL2 is a good choice... but... umm.. why is that coming out for the regular Xbox? with the 360 not long away and with the graphical hi-res niceness that HL2 is why dont they 360 that?
  14. Nezza macrumors member

Sep 21, 2005
    Seems to be a few notable absentees from that list - the Burnout series especially.

I can't believe Pro Evo 4 isn't supported, but they've done the FIFA series back for the last three years.

No Project Gotham 2 either!

I've been putting of buying Burnout revenge and Pro Evo 5 until I knew about compatibility - looks like I'm not buying Burnout then.
  15. applemax macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2005
  16. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Jul 5, 2004
    And they have zero out of my 1 game. Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball.

... what? I think that game has good graphics! :D

Anyway, I really don't think I'll be getting an Xbox360. I'm waiting for the Revolution and the PS3 (and yes, in my case the PS3 will be the 2nd console since I mainly play Zelda, Metroid, etc). The PS3 should be pretty good and there's a lot of PS2 games I can't play, such as Raiden III (I don't have a PS2 and I don't want to pay for one with the PS3 launch "so close").

I really can't wait for the Revolution though. I hope "Metroid Revolution" will launch at the same time!
  17. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    if you believe the hype then Nintendo are already working on Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros revolution games. if they all launched with the console then jesus :eek: i wouldnt be able to move for a day :eek:

EDIT: poo! it doesn't have my Serious Sam there too. I now own 4 Xbox games; Halo, Midtown Madness 3, Panzer Dragoon Orta and Serious Sam. great how 1/4 of my library will work.

do you need the HDD version of the Xbox to play these too?
  18. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2004
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    You need an HD to store the patches on.
  19. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004

Oh, you are correct, I did not see that.

So this is going to make BC a bit of a pain, especially for people lacking internet connections. :(

And just as proof that it's not an actual emulator for the unbelievers...I saw a guy at Wal-Mart accidentally insert an XBox demo disk instead of the 360 one, and it didn't recognize the disk and gave an error. The guy then got all confused, because the "XBox 360 is supposed to be backwards compatible". I tried to explain the patch thing but he couldn't understand it.
  20. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    The patches are stored on the hard drive; as takao corrected me, only Halo 1 and 2 are preloaded, the rest you have to download. So Halo will work out of the box, if you have the hard drive.
  21. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    As for titles my Battlefield 2 will play on 360 so I'm happy :D Nice to see the GTA series as well.
    Some places have 360 on lcds and it looks great and some not great. Any with HD look awesome as does the XBox on one. My friend just got a Samsung 26" or 27" HD TV and it is a big diff. with his XBox from my old Phillips (8yrs. old) TV. From seeing this alone I may update my TV first then decide about the 360 (my friend is on the first shipment of those so hey buddy bring it over here :p ). Only time will tell I guess :cool:
  22. NerdBoy macrumors member

Oct 25, 2005
    Why do you need to know?
    So, in theory, could you hack the binary to play on a G5?
  23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    what about Far Cry! thats a good game.....that sux!

24. angelneo macrumors 68000

Jun 13, 2004
    tsk tsk tsk ;) :D

Anyway, I wonder how many emulation patches can you store on the HD, since they are pre-compiled binaries for the powerPC, I'm guessing quite some space for each.
  25. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Hmm...if someone could create something like WINE, perhaps, maybe. Or some kind of emulator that would run at a much faster speed than usual (you'd still have to emulate the XBox 360's processors, because they're different from a usual PowerPC, but since they're the same architecture it would run better than a normal emulator).

But it wouldn't be easy, because they'd be tailored to a specific hardware set. But yeah. There are already XBox emulators out there (not for Mac though), all someone needs to do is make a XBox emulator that uses the PowerPC binaries instead of the normal XBox ones.

I'm just theorizing here, however.

Remember that XBox games use DirectX.