XBOX 360 Core Questions!

Discussion in 'Games' started by wnameth, Jan 10, 2006.

1. wnameth macrumors 65816

wnameth

1. Does the it come with a Silver subscription to exbox live, do i have to pay extra per month or is that included in the charge of the core system.
    2. can i buy a wireless controller after i buy the core system and have no problems getting it to work?
    3. If i have a memory card in it can i play games from the original xbox (the ones that are supported, like GTA and halo 2?)
    4. can i re-direct the ethernet port form my ibook through airport or will that be way to laggy?
    5. I ican only afford a 13-20" TV for under 100. which one is best for it?
    6. i am going to get PGR for it for my first game, is this good...
    7. Can i put a HD in it my self after or is it just the one in the premium that they sell that i can put in after?

thanks

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

1. All Xbox 360s come with a Silver subscription. Of course, without a HD, you're not going to be able to download much. You WILL need a memory unit of some sort (memory unit and/or hard drive) to save your games, etc.
    2. Yes.
    3. No. Original Xbox games require the hard drive in order to function.
    4. Not sure.
    5. Don't know. Obviously widescreen and hi-def are out if you're looking to spend only $100. Whatever TV you get MUST have at least an S-video connection.
    6. It's freaking awesome. PGR3 and COD2 are, in my opinion, the best 360 games so far.
    7. The HD is external and just snaps on, so yes. But if you're thinking of getting a hard drive, just go ahead and get the Premium 360 package if you can. You'll save money and get wireless controllers from the get-go, and you won't have to buy a $40 memory unit.

3. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

thanks, maybe ill keep saving only need like 120 more for the premium... i think i'll just go for it, what the hell.. in the long run it will be way worth it....
    BUT do i have to pay for XBOX live or does it come with a free subscription or something, that is what i heard, is the silver package include xbox live where i can play against friends online"?

thanks

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Silver gets you free access to MOST Xbox Live functions (download content, buy Xbox Live Arcade games, etc.) EXCEPT for online gameplay. There will be certain weekends when Silver subscribers will be allowed to play online for free. Otherwise, you will need a Gold subscription to play against other people; the Premium box comes with a short-duration Gold subscription (30 days, I think), and when that expires you'll either need to pay to continue it or revert back to Silver.

5. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

thanks, looks like im going premium if i can

thanks

6. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

Okay, i have decided to get the core system, they have it in stock at a place near me.. only have 1... so if i can get there before they sell it then i will have it... but one question.. if i just get the core and say a game, how do i save my game (for example tiger woods, how would i go about saving my season?) beacuse i can see that it doesn't come with the mem card or the HD... so is the only way to save a game to buy a mem card? that seems weird.. because why not sell it with the core.. and then the HD with the premium.. and didn't the original xbox come with a HD.. why not this one? ino its the core, but come on!

7. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Bad move. The hard drive, alone, is $99 -- that's the difference in the core and premium. Factor in all the other stuff, and the core is a horrible deal.

To answer your question, you'll need a memory unit to do any saves. Again, this is an additional cost ($24?) that you could instead apply towards the premium version.

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The memory unit's $40 at Best Buy, so I'd assume the price is the same everywhere.

For the extra $100, the Premium system gives you:

1. Wireless controller instead of wired controller (price diff = $10-$15)
    2. The hard drive (value = $100)
    3. A month or three of Xbox Live Gold (value = ???, $20 maybe)

If you buy the Core system, you'll need to buy a $40 memory unit to save your games... so the $60 real difference in price is worth $135 in wireless controller + hard drive + Gold membership.

Only buy the Core system if you absolutely cannot wait to get a 360. The Premium will give you a much better experience.

9. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

hmmm... its really not that i can't wait, its that 399 plus tax is WAY more then i want to spend... that will completely empty my bank account and i will have 0.00$ to my name for about a month...i am used to this because i usually am short for money beacuse i save up to buy things... lol..... so i am definitely getting the core because it is 460.00 with tax.. that is alot for me considering i will have 474 in my account after my paypal clears in....but still this things will kick the S*** out of the ipod video i was going to get for like 40$ less... lol

thanks for the update on the mem card thing... i guess i'll buy one on ebay for less later.. i am not getting any games till the 26th after my exams so i can hold off for i while, i won't even open it until then!
    thanks

10. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

hey everyone, i just went to eb games and pick up my core (last 360 they had in the store, or in canada for that matter...LOL) but yea, i didn't buy a game because it is to tempting to play during exam time which will be over in 2.5 weeks for me so then my parents will get my PGR 3 hopefully... so i need to get a memory card if i want to save any game, so without the memory card i basically won't be able to play anything, because it won't save... so should i buy a card on ebay, or is there a way to plug in a USB 2.0 HD or something into it, i noticed that it has USB 2.0 ports on it.... hmm... please try to answer these lightly as they might sound like stupid questions....

thanks

11. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

The USB ports are read-only. Memory unit is the only way you'll be able to save your (eventual) games.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

13. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Personally I would have bought a premium and not bought a game... just download demos until you can afford one. A core system is $340 with a memory card alone.

Also, someone was listing what a premium comes with... don't forget that it also comes with component cables for high-def.

If you want a cheap TV, just buy the $40 VGA cable for it and hook it up to a VGA monitor if you have one (and an iBook won't work in case you ask :))

14. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

okay thanks, but were talking canadian here, there is a significant price difference between the core and the premium with tax and this is more then i wanted to spend.... i hope you guys can understand that, the core is good enough for me... and i don't mind if i have to buy a memory card later....

but i have a quesstion, can i directly hook up the 360 to this monitor without VGA, through the tv ready ports or whatever... here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...87758-9905413?n=720540&s=electronics&v=glance

thanks, the reason i want to go directly into it with the xbox is because my ibook will have the VGA port taken up...

thanks

15. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

Please Answer This!!!!!

Okay, i am getting a samsung 15" LCD display that is only VGA.... I want to plug my xbox into the display. BUT, how will i get sound... can i plug my xbox sound into my computer speaker using a optical adapter that changes the speaker plug into red and white... would that work? the audio i mean... and can i get a adapter that splits the sound so i can have my ibook plugged into my speakers at the same time as having my xbox sound plugged, so i don't have to always unplugg the speakers from my ibook and put them through the adapter to my xbox?

thanks in advance

16. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Ok, thats sounds a bit convoluted, but i think i got the idea.

All you need is a male to male minijack cord, a minijack splitter, and an rca to minijack cord. Plug the splitter into the speakers. Now you have two open female minijacks. Plug the male to male cable into your ibook, and into one of the minijacks of the splitter. Then plug the rca to minijack into you xbox's red-and-whites, and the other end into the open minijack on the splitter. Now you have two active inputs into the same speakers. Does that help?

17. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

If this minor $100+ difference will break your checking account, maybe you should save your money and not buy a 360.

18. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

yes that is exactly what i am going to do, but! i was told that if i plug the RCA into the xbox how will i turn up the volume, is there a set one on the xbox, because i always have my computer speakers turned up full then i control the volume on my ibook (usually have it around 4-5)

if you are sure this will work then i can do it because i have those 2 things

thanks for the help.. and sorry for the complicating post!

19. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The Xbox 360 does not have any sort of volume control... so you'll need to use the volume control on your speakers.

20. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

I understand that, but will it be loud enough if my speakers are turned up full, like i said i have them turned up full and then use my ibook volume to make it louder/softer... i just want to know if it will work, as in will i be able to hear a decently loud sound... because with my ibook volume turned up to 8 or 9 i can't be in the room because its so loud... also are you guys sure that this will work:

i use a mini plug spliter and then rca cables to have my ibook and my xbox plugged into the same speakers at the same time...?

i am getting a viewsonic monitor i believe its the v1520 or something like that, its a 15", will this audio thing work at all?

thanks

21. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The audio and the video are totally separate from each other once they leave the Xbox... and the only way you're going to know how loud the Xbox's sound will be will be to hook it up. There's just no way to predict how loud it'll be.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Buy a usb kvm switch - no need for anything fancy (about $30) & an Xbox 360 HD-VGA cable ($30) and an 3mm Jack Audio Splitter ($5) and you can have your 360 hooked up to your monitor and speakers with a better clarity & resolution than you would ever get through s-video or composite on an ordinary TV.

SD resolution on the 360 don't look that much better than the xbox.

That Viewsonic monitor seems expensive on Amazon. If your spending that kind of monry why not this

Cost me €260 or $365 canadian...

23. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

I understand this now.... is there anyone willing to try it with speakers that are just mini plug through a RCA adapter? Because there has to be some kind of set volume for the xbox, like if the speakers are turned up full i will hear something i would think... i just don't want to have to buy new speakers, i am already spending money on a VGA adapter so i can play it on a viewsonic LCD opposed to my 20" sony that my (now my dads) gamecube is hooked up to along with our dvd player and VCR.. I want the 360 to be for me in my room so i can play online and have my ibook near it to....

so i have one last question (i know there has been alot but i would answere these dumb questions if a noob to macs wanted to know a bunch of stuff, i am completely new to xbox fr that matter)

anyway, I have my cogeco cable internet box upstairs in my parents bedroom, i then have it hooked up to a D-link router (wireless) and i have three computers on airport... i get 4 bars for airport everywher in my house, even in my basement where my dads emac is going to be in his studio.... so i am going to plug a ethernet cable directly into the D-link router, it also has 4 free ethernet ports, i am then going to run it through the cold air ducts to my room somehow... my cousin is a network technician and he will help me do that.. but how long of a ethernet cable should i get? i am buying a 50 foot one as of now.. and would that be enough, it has to go down 20 feet or so from my parents bedroom to my rooms floor where the duct is... so is 50 good enough.. or is there a better solution then this? i don't want to spend any more money on this project... and i am basically getting the ethernet for free because the margin is like 99% on cables at the computer store that i work at so it will be like 5$ at the most... is that long enough THOUGH!!!!????:confused:

thanks

24. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

hey, thanks for the advice, i went ahead and got this KVM switch on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5854049192&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:CA:11

i already ordered the VGA adapter, and i am getting this display: http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_SyncMaster_570_V/4505-3174_7-5758556-2.html in a trade from rickvanr....

my 2 questions: will that KVM switch work okay, i only will be using it for VGA and sound, no Ps/2 (even though i have adapters to use usb)

and my second question: since the Hi-defs native resolution is way higher then this display (1024 x 768) and a normal tv is significantly lower then this LCD.. will it be like 75% of the screen? or will it be be full like anything else hooked up to this display, i Know this is confusing, but has anyone tried hooking a 360 up to a 15" LCD?

thanks, in advance!!!

25. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

so you guys are sure that the above will work, because i purchased the KVM switch, the monitor and the VGA adapter... all just to play some AMAZING online xbox 360 games... you know, nothing major... can't wait till im done my last exam (grade 11 University english) !!!!!