Xbox 360 EB Games Bundle....

Discussion in 'Games' started by anterior, Aug 23, 2005.

1. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

IM PUTTIN IN MY ORDER!! seems worth it too me! damn...that is so cool...GOD IM STOKED!!! .

wow...im a ****ing nerd lol

2. plastique45 macrumors regular

Games on XBOX 360 don't look that much better than current XBOX games. PS3 games look 1 generation beyond xbox 360. Don't waste your money on that M$ ****.

3. crachoar macrumors 6502a

...right...

Let me just see how much I have left over from my heroin operations...

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I wonder what bundles Costco/Sam's Club will come up with. They seem to make some good deals. I don't know if I want to spend the kind of money the next generation of consoles are expecting.

5. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I don't agree with that AT ALL. Fanboy, perhaps? Pretty much all PS3 videos shown thus far have been prerendered.

That being said, to get back on topic (since nowhere in the thread's title did it ask about anyone's opinion on the PS3.....):

Bundles are always garbage. They suck. They have always been games that I have had no interest in.

6. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

According to the demos Sony showed us at E3 prior to the PS2 launch, PS2 games should look better than the 360! I'll never put an ounce of faith in Sony's hype ever again; the PS2 ended up being a glorified Dreamcast in terms of power, and most games were indistinguishable between the two systems at first. It just goes to show that developers need time to unlock the potential of each system. At least Microsoft gives us real screenshots of 360 games.

Edit: Oh, and the bundles are too expensive to be worth it; even if you save some money, $700 is pretty hard to justify.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Graphics wise, XBox 360 and PS3 are very similar. PS3 might have a physics edge if developers trick out the Cell processor, and a multimedia edge because the SPE's are really good at video decoding, but in actual games it's not gonna be a huge difference. The graphics cards are very similar power-wise.

The PS3, however, has built in WiFi (a $100 addon on the XBox 360), and Blu-ray (12 times the disk space), and Bluetooth instead of RF (wireless peripherals), and dual screen output. Further, the accessories will be cheaper considering that a 64 MB CF or SD card is about $10-15 and a 64 MB XBox 360 memory card is...$40; for once, Sony is supporting standards with their system, for the most part. Throw in the fact that you DON'T need to spend $100 for partial backwards compatability like the X360, but the PS3 is fully BC with PS2 and PS1 out of the box, and that the hard drive is preinstalled with Linux and designed to support homebrew apps and games (something every other console has always fought), and I consider the PS3 to be a better system; the question is, will the price be too much?

8. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Wow GFL is peddling his omg ps3 comes with linux, that’s the kicker for me to go with one over a 360. Now GFL didn’t we have an argument about this on a different thread. :rolleyes:

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's just one of many features.

It's impossible to really make an accurate comparison when we:
    A) Don't know the PS3 pricing
    B) Don't know the PS3 games lineup

both of which are two of the most important things.

Right now we know that the PS3 has more features/capabilities than the XBox 360. But we can't declare a winner till we see the rest.

BTW, I wonder how you take ONE LINE out of my post and declare me to be 'peddling' the system based on that one sentence?

And just an FYI; I love homebrew. I'm planning to hack my DS to run a lot of homebrew on it. It's one of the things I liked about the PSP, but the new firmware update will kill it. I like playing things people make. That's why I like the idea of the PS3 having an OS. Sony themselves said that they want people to write their own PS3 games and apps.

But again, I'm NOT gonna just get the PS3 because "OMG IT HAS LINUX!"

10. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

wait, what??? Where did you read that the ps3 is coming with linux on the hdd? I heard it can run it, but I havent seen anything saying it was part of the package. And even so, who gives a rats ass? If I wanna run linux, I'll do it on a desktop, not my game console.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/09/news_6127219.html
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/624/624046p1.html

This makes Sony the first company to support and even ENCOURAGE homebrew game developers. IMHO that's pretty dang cool of them. And stuff like video editting would be EXCELLENT on the Cell processor.

Granted, these are all outside the arena of games. But that's why I listed everything else. WiFi, Bluetooth, dual screens, 1080p, and Blu-ray are all games-related functions the XBox 360 lacks.

And Sony supporting homebrew apps on the PS3 could be a VERY big thing for games if that means homebrew developers can make their own games and have them run on the PS3 without having to hack the system like they do with PS2, GC, and XBox, thus reaching a wide audience.

12. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

GFL makes a good arugment, but he falls on one part.

The hard disk has been confirmed not to be included. Just the holder. :(

But, at least its a standard drive holder. :D

I think I got a 20 GB notebook drive around here.

Thats EB making the bundle. They always make these expensive ass online bundles.

I have one thing to say about the 700 dollar bundle.

OUCH, my wallet hurts.

13. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

According to EA, the systems have the same graphics. Game Informer reported that the xbox360 and PS3 versions of Fight Night will be identical in terms of graphics. So that means that either xbox360 will do a lot more than we've seen, or more likely, Sony was blowing smoke at us again this E3.

The EB bundle is allright. All the games look cool, but we don't know if they are any good yet. Plus, there is zero discount. They just make you buy all that stuff.

The "play and charge" kits are worthless, as the controller lasts for 40 hours on 2 AA batteries. You could buy a lot of batteries for $20.

I'm getting the Premium console, one controller, and one game at launch. I'll wait for reviews to pick my other few games.

14. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

I am with you on that, iam gonna do the same thing..

15. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I think I'll wait out the launches this time around. Heck, the most recent Xbox, Cube, and PS2 games look pretty darn good to me. New titles for the current systems ought to dry up by the time these new consoles drop in price and developers are on the second gen games, which is when the new h/w really starts to shine.

Easy to say, since there isn't a 360, Revolution or PS3 hanging out at the local BB calling my name just yet. ;) :)

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I never said the hard drive was included...

Anyway, the way things are going I'm going to be holding off before I buy either console. Ignoring the XBox 360's ridiculous accessory prices...I hate the entire launch lineup. It's not a fanboy thing; I can't find one PS3 game I am interested in buying yet either. Well, Gran Turismo 5 looks good for PS3 (I'm not a racing fan but for some reason didn't hate GT3 as much as I usually hate racing games). Full Auto looks interesting for XBox 360. That's...really about it. At this rate I'm not buying either console till they've been out a while and good games start coming, lol.

17. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

So i got a question, most places have sold out of the first wave of the preorders. so if the xbox 360 comes out on the 14th when do you think the next wave will be in? 2 weeks or less? at this point i dont see a reason to preorder unless some thing special comes with the your preorder..

18. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

LOL I just like screwing around with you man dont take any personal offense to what I say, I'm just bored. :D

19. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

600 + bucks...ouch. I'll get the 399.99 with 1 games. That's going to have to hold me for a looooooooooong time because I want to get a PB for xmas.

20. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'm gonna round out the fanboy posts by pimping Nintendo! I REALLY hope they are smart and launch the Revolution at $199. They've said that they aren't going to have a HDD (even optional) but are building WiFi in. Also sounds like they are going to use some sort of flash drive standard, SD I think. You can get a 1gb SD for very little nowadays, and 2gb drives are getting cheaper all the time. For what you actually need, a gig on a console should be pretty good. I've hear rumors they are going to either build in or bundle half a gig of flash storage as well, so all in all, it should get the job done.

Anyways, my point is that for the price of the BASIC 360 bundle you will (hopefully) be able to pick up the system, a new game, an extra controller, and have enough left over to buy some classic SNES and N64 games. If you are figuring on the Premium XBox360 or PS3 you can throw a Nintendo DS into your card! ;-)

For me, depending on how they handle the purchase and play of classic games, I will probably trade in the old GC, get a Rev, and spend the first month playing GC games and SNES and N64 ROMs against people online. The ability to plug in the GC controllers will keep me from having to buy an extra Rev controller for a while... at least until I have a multiplayer Revolution game.

THat last but is pure speculation, but if they can pull of an online service to play multiplayer classics online it will be amazingly good fun. There is at least one SNES emulator that lets you play online, so I figure Nintendo can pull it off. :)

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Actually; and I find it very ironic; Nintendo has said they're going to put a built in half gig of flash storage. It was on their web site. AND they said there's an SD card. Reference: Nintendo.com.
    http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=02ea1a40-ac09-4cdf-9548-91e5a4e78746&page=home

"The specs: The system boasts 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, wireless controllers, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi access."

"Easy expansion: A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory. "

Straight from Ninty's mouth.

The reason I find this ironic is that it means Nintendo, who has the least need, is the ONLY system coming with built in storage. The PS3's hard drive is sold seperately; the XBox 360's is only in the higher model (or sold seperately). Nintendo, the only one that doesn't need it for multimedia extras, is the only one that has it built in. Ah, irony...

I'm really not sure what to root for. $250 means better stuff...$200 means more money for games... :(

22. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Yes, but you will NEED the storage space to hold all of your downloaded NES/SNES/N64 games! :) And you will need it to hold your user profile for the online gaming service that they are going to launch! (Yes, I am hopeful).

I'm going to have to stick my neck out and say that I am hoping for $199, as I think that will help them get the most consoles out into homes, whch in turn will lead to more and better games being available. But, as the compitition looks like they will be ask for $400+ if you want the whole system, I can see them going for $250, easily.

I wish they would go back to bundling two controllers in the box. When did we stop getting that? Around the N64 I think? When I was a kid I remember getting 2 controllers, a light gun, and 2 full games with my NES. Then 2 controllers, and a full (really good) game with my SNES. But now all they give you is one controller and a DEMO if you are LUCKY.

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Considering that Zelda 64 can be zipped down to 20 MB and I can fit Super Mario World on a floppy...512 MB is plenty :D