Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
In Thailand you can only buy Japanese import ones...and modded to boot. That's your only option for the most part. So I had one of those...the first one was scratching disks or just being a bit picky about playing disks so the shop I bought it from replaced immediately with a different one...but I was too nervous having one as they only guarantee for as long as they remember you or one month :D . I wouldn't care at all if I lived in the US and had their warranties...but not so much in Thailand with modded boxes...pretty sure I'm not getting a one year with that one .

Paul

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's because of this that I'm scared to buy one-- still. I thought surely after this long they'd be working consistently. But nope.

Same reason why I wouldn't buy one either. When everyone elses system has broke you tend not to risk buying one yourself.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Mine hasn't broken so far but it has been misbehaving' since day one. It often crashes mid-game giving me the "Unable to read from the disc. Please check if the disc is dirty or damaged." message. I should have exchanged it but I somehow decided to keep it. I still love the little bugger. More RPGs please. ^_^

deggs37

macrumors member
May 23, 2006
Ohio
I personally know 3 people who have had their xbox crap out on them. Other than that mine is running fine and was manufactured Oct. 2005.

adroit

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Victoria, BC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6275728.stm

BBC said:
Microsoft facing $1bn Xbox bill

Some Xbox Live gamers have complained about fraud
Microsoft has said that it is facing a bill of more than $1bn to cover the cost of offering extended warranties, after failings with its Xbox 360.
The company admitted it had been forced to make "an unacceptable number of repairs" to the consoles after key hardware failed.

Customers who suffer the problems will now be given a free three-year warranty, the company said.

The failures are indicated by three red flashing lights on the console.

Microsoft, has not revealed how many of its machines have suffered the problem, but said the number was "bigger than we are comfortable with."

It added that the move - which will also see some people reimbursed for postage and repairs on consoles which were out of warranty - was aimed at keeping the loyalty of its customers.

"The majority of Xbox 360 owners are having a great experience with their console and have from day one," said Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's Entertainment & Devices Division.

"But this problem has caused frustration for some of our customers and for that, we sincerely apologise."

It added its Xbox division was still expected to make a profit during the financial year beginning 1 July 2007.

Migration manoeuvre

Separately the company has announced an October launch of its advanced version of the Xbox - the Xbox 360 Elite - in Japan, where it lags behind Nintendo and Sony in the console market.

And the company has also unveiled plans to open a software development centre in Canada which it said was a way of hiring talented people from abroad who would struggle to obtain a US working visa.

The Vancouver location would "allow the company to continue to recruit and retain highly skilled people affected by the immigration issues in the US", Microsoft said.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
They really need to redesign this thing and get it working properly...although I like the fact that they owned up to it and will extend warranty WORLDWIDE they still need to get to the bottom of this red light issue.

Bless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.