Xbox 360 : FFXI Beta

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Jan 17, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

After an age to install the game I must say it must be the ugliest pile of spew ever...

In no way does it look HD, it's a shame that they didn't improve the graphics that much, still looks like a ps2 game. I wont be buying & subscribing when its fully released in May..

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

And how many people are surprised by this?

has final fantasy had anything worth buying in basically the last 5 years?

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

When did FFX come out?
    That was a great game, and I have high hopes for FFXII.

4. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I've tried the FFXII demo. It came as a bonus with Dragon Quest VIII. I'm sorry to say that I'm not impressed.

As for FFXI, I played it for a while on the PS2 but gave up after 6 months. I liked it but it was a chore to get anything done in that game. Not a bad game but felt "punitive". Also, past level 12 you couldn't survive without a party. More than half of my time playing was spent trying to form or get into a party rather than actually playing.

FFXI on XBox 360 is pretty much a publicity stunt. They just want to be able to say that they have a Final Fantasy game. I was thrilled when I first heard that there would be a FF game on the 360. I felt cheated when I learnt that it would simply be a port of a 3 years old game.

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

is it in the XBox Live marketplace? It wasn't there a couple days ago.

6. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

NO!!! It's like 5Gb in size :D You can get it with this months issue of Official Xbox Magazine.

p.s I like the Avatar :D Stewie Rocks!

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, it's still a little early, and there's been some personnel shifts from what I heard. I still will play it. :)

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Ok, thanks, maybe I will go pick up this months edition of the magazine, or just start a subsciption :). I wish I could take credit for the avatar, I just did a google for family guy avatars and this is one that came up.

A little off topic, the XBox Live marketplace is great! I love that they put game demos on there. It has definitely made me want to buy or at least rent some games I never would have tried, such as Condemned or Need for Speed. All I have for the 360 right now is Call of Duty but I have 8 demos that I play around with as well. Fight Night is ridiculous, it is almost too real.

P.S. - For anyone with Call of Duty, when you were half way through the game, did it take you back to the first level? I had just finished the second level where you drive the tank in the British missions and then I selected "next mission" and I was brought back to the very first level and all the levels I had played were "locked". I don't think this is this the way the game is supposed to go, probably something happened to my saved game. It sucked at the time, but I am flying through those levels again as I know what to do.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

There's a known bug that caused that to occur... something to do with not logging in to Xbox Live before you started the game, so the savegame CoD2 made didn't get properly associated with your profile.

I think they patched the software to allow you to select any level you want.

10. Symtex macrumors 6502a

What did you expect ? I wanted to play FFXI on my HDTV for a long time. They did improved the draw distance and added some AA. The game is still good. They also implemented some good 5.1 sounds. I'm not able to hear from where someone is in battle.

11. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Square should redo FF 6,7, and 8. Those are the good ones.

12. KafkaWasRight macrumors newbie

I'm already signed up for a beta account, now I'm just waiting for an Xbox 360 so I can give it a shot. I'm not expecting much out of the experience, though.
    Really, I'm only doing it so I can say I've played every numbered Final Fantasy (with the exception of the Japanese-only 3).

13. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

What did I expect. An Xbox 360 game not a ps2... :rolleyes:
    They implemented AA? Judging by this game i think the programmers just left there, unable to complete their program :p

I'll wait for Mistwalkers 'Blue Dragon' at least that will be next gen...

14. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Considering the crap they've produced, I don't want them "re-imagining" Final Fantasy III.

15. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Too late ^_^

Attached Files:

16. Uma888 macrumors 6502

I have to say this is one of the most Ugly looking games ever made

It took an age to install, its been removed from my HDD

Im very disapointed with this release

PS: dont install it, i know it tempting, but dont

17. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

18. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Of course, you are able to judge an mmorpg in 5 minutes playtime. /end sarcasm

19. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

All I can say is thank god they made the BETA available. I would have hadto stump out €70-75 ($85-90) for this game - prices in Ireland are shocking :eek:
    To find out it just isn't for me... Especially at €15 per month thereafter...

When your forking out that kind of money I don't see why we arent entitled to a definitive version, with completely redone graphics or at least better character models.

This is truly a cynical marketing excerise is ripping people off for an totally underwhelming lacklustre product..

Just so Microsoft Public Relations can put one finger up to Sony and say 'we have FF'.. You may have it MS, and as far as I'm concerned you can shove it.. :)

20. Symtex macrumors 6502a

What happen to the typical nintendo fanboy speech "Graphic is not important, it's gameplay that counts" ?

I'm really happy with the game because it irons out pretty quickly the gamers who are not willing to spent the time to explore the deep mechanic of FFXI. The game is very rewarding if you spent the time.

21. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

If anyone in the UK is after this disk, its all yours! Got it with my xbox mag, but never been interested in the FF series TBH...
    PM me if ya want it!