xbox 360 freezing

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nicolasdec, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

my xbox 360 keeps on freezing when im playing a game dose this happen to any body?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Happened to me, they said it was my fault.

I then phoned up and said I had the red-rings problem, they picked it up and it came back fixed...

3. Nicolasdec thread starter macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

so do you think i should call microsoft? i bought my xbox as soon as it came out.

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I've only had mine freeze while playing a certain game, and that certain game was rented... Isn't the flashing red rings only a loose connection for video? Mine did it once, and I unplugged the video and sound and plugged it back in and it was fine.

5. Nicolasdec thread starter macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

mine freezes at least 5 time a day in any game

6. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

Mine has only frozen once when I was playing Rainbow Six: Vegas on Live.

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Mine has frozen twice in over a year of playing it.

And the obvious comment - have you put an blankekt on your Xbox to keep it from getting cold enough to freeze? :p

8. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Mine has frozen ONCE ever, happened while I was playing hitman. I still have no idea what happened!?

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yes, call microsoft. i had mine freeze all the time, and finally, it wouldn't work at all. they gave me a new one

10. Poogis macrumors member

I had the same problem with my UK launch 360 - it flatly refused to play any copy of Call of Duty 2 as well. I sent it off about four months ago and I got a 'new' one (I suspect a refurb).

Now this replacement does the same thing and I've got Microsoft to pick this one up, this morning in fact.

I wondered if I should just ignore it but after paying £300 for it, I feel this isn't good enough.

Give 'em hell!

11. Damitri macrumors member

Yes give 'em hell! This is a very well-known problem and I don't know how Microsoft keeps it out of the news so well. Check out the official xbox.com forums and see how many posts the repair and freezing threads have compared to all others.

My 360 was only 4 months old when it started freezing after just seconds of play in any game. I just sent it off to get a new or refurbished one. The whole repair process takes about a month which is annoying. I know some people who are on their 6th 360 - they all break down after a while. I love my 360: PS3 does not have a single exclusive that interests me and the Wii's graphics suck even compared to Gamecube (the controller is cool though).

That is why it hurts to realize that the build quality of the 360 is utter crap. The most unbelievable part of it is that they still have not figured it out at Microsoft. Consoles manufactured late '06, one year after launch, still start freezing far too often. Check out the official forums - they are just filled with horror stories... :(

12. ericsthename macrumors regular

Hey dudes and dudettes,

This is one of the main things that people (including myself) knocked the 360 for. I think it's important that we keep it all in perspective though:

1 - My first 360 suffered this problem. It was a near-launch console

2- Microsoft replaced it RIGHT away, no questions asked (other than "did you plug in the cables right?")

3- It has been well determined that although this was a problem with many of the early batches, almost all 360s built within the last 6 months are very stable

4 - This is likely due to the fact that in order to fulfill the early demand surrounding launch, MS had to order parts from a consortium of suppliers, and was thus unable to keep a strict control over the production

Now that the RROD (red ring of death) issue has been dealt with, MS is finally dealing with the issue that their DVDrom drives are the equivalent of bunker-buster missiles in Iraq, and implementing much quieter drives.

In essence, them fixing these two problems will solve my two gripes with the 360. I think it's important to note also that I've had far fewer problems with Rev. A 360's than I had with my early MacBook Pro's. And then to boot, MS was much easier to deal with on the customer service aspect as well.

I know that $2000 computers and $500 (CDN) consoles are not directly comparable, but I must say that Apple's QC has taken a dive lately, whereas MS's seems to have taken up the torch...

Also, one must consider that many retailers have their own rules regarding returns, many of which are a no-questions asked exchange.

13. Nicolasdec thread starter macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

i called microsoft and they said i will need to send it into repair. they said it should take max 15 days (hope it dosent take longer). mine is a near-launch console hope i get a new one. i was thinking of waiting untill the one with the hdmi input and the 120GB harddrive to come out. bicause they will probley send me a new one.

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Mines freeze when I'm playing R6: Vegas.....damn the multiplayer is so good but its filled with bugs and makes the experience difficult to enjoy.

Call MS and see what they say.

Bless

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Maybe here in Chicago - it's been frigid cold. Try a blanket...

16. bigdz68 macrumors member

MY xbox 360 just started to do the same thing!
    We also noticed one of our discs was also scratched badly in a circular pattern!
    I bought mine on Launch and have read many posts here and in the MS forums ... just curious if I will get charged since it seems to be past its one year warranty!

Thanks

17. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Let's get something straight. Microsoft sends you an older, refurbished XBOX 360 as a replacement, not a brand new unit. If Microsoft releases a new XBOX, chances are it will have a new model number and therefore, if your original model XBOX 360 dies ... you will still receive a refurbished original model unit.

My personal experience: Purchased 360 in May 2006, died two days later (because of bad Live upgrade), after two weeks Microsoft sent me a refurbished XBOX 360 (manufactured November 2005). Refurbished unit died January 2007, six days later Microsoft sent me another November 2005 refurbished unit.

Unfortunately, in my case my original 360 (manufactured in April 2006) had the quieter DVD drive and quieter fans. The two refurbished units I've received have been much louder.

18. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Re-seat all connectors, including the hard disk (if so equipped)

My buddy had some freezing, we pulled his HD out and reinstalled it onto his 360, and its worked ever since.

Make sure its well ventilated, not on a carpet, but on a table. Something that isnt soft or covered in fabric.

Please don't flame and start yet another help thread that turns into a gigantic all out war of PS3 vs 360 vs Wii. I really, really hate those.

19. pcypert macrumors 6502

Two Things

Mine doesn't freeze. Hasn't yet.

Forums have people that are pissed, frustrated, etc 95% of the time. When stuff's working they're playing it, not typing on forums about it :)

Paul

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

My 360 had a 'freezing' bug/issue about two dashboard updates ago.

It used to freeze if I pressed the Dash button on the controller at the exact same time as a notification came on screen (say a friend logging on).

I stopped it by disabling notifications.

But dashboard updates since, seem to have repaired that bug for me anyway.

If your 360 is freezing repeatedly and at random, then get it checked out.

Actually my wii has frozen a few times latelty though. Once it froze in Zelda, once whilst connecting to the marketplace, and once when viewing the news.

I think it too is probably a bug rather than a hardware fault.

21. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

My 360 was freezing, but I learned from fellow MacRumor members that the Nyko Intercooler I had actually caused problems. I removed it and just gave my 360 breathing room, and so far no freezes since. May not be your problem, but it's something to consider.