Xbox 360 Games - Owner Opinions?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I've noticed a lot of people on the forum seem to have a 360 based on the numerous threads involving it.

So I wanted to ask what games you all had and what you thought of them, especially compared to other games and/or the original Xbox.

I've heard great things about FN3 but what about the other games, especially launch games like PD0 and Kameo? Are any of these games worth getting a 360 for yet?

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Call of Duty 2 hands down is the must own. After beating PD zero multiple times, and playing online, I wasn't fond of it. Too slow, too mundane. I had PGR3, and while the graphics were great and the cars were cool, I'm not a racing guy. So I sold it. I also have DOA 4, which is another MUST HAVE and NHL 2K6, which 2K4 for the PS 2 was better.

I'm looking forward to Dead Rising, and possibly the Outfit and Ghost Recon. Though I never did play any of the original Ghost Recons (though I was a fan of the Rainbow Six 3 games).

HAlo 3? Where? What? I'm looking forward to this if only for the multiplayer, as the second one had a real crappy single player campaign. We'll see. I've got some money to dish out soon, so I'll probably continue to own people in Call of Duty 2 for a while yet.

3. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

agreed. Call of Duty 2 is superb. mostly on Veteran, holy god, its nuts!!!

Perfect Dark, I honestly think is one of the worlds worst games, hands down. its purely worthless IMHO. ive honestly never bought a game I didnt like. I read a review and it said its great some like, sure ill try it. Hated it. Online is slow, slow slow.

PGR is cool but I like Grand Turismo 4 way better.

other games, same, prettier?

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Condemn is a really nice game along with COD2....thats all i can say.

Bless

5. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

So far FN: Round 3 is my favorite 360 game. COD2 is a fun game as well... along with Kameo and Condemned. PDZ is worth a rent

Can't wait to get my hands on Elder Scrolls and possibly the Outfit

6. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I would say Need For Speed: Most Wanted was a fun game if you are into car games, COD2 is a good game, but a lot of issues with online play...

I agree, it looks like a great game.

7. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I've got 12 games so far

1 - Condemned - an excellent single player FPS whci packs more atmosphere in every level than anything i've ever played. Really brooding and dark - and graphically a real stellar debut title.

2 - Kameo:elements of power - Like most RARE games it's seem's to divide people into a love it/leave it attitude. Personally I think it's great and would heartily recommend it if your into games like Zelda, StarFox Adventures..

3 - Call Of Duty 2 - very good single player, but didn't blow me away as much as I thought it would, especially after all the amazing reviews. Multiplayer is excellent BUT FLAWED, seriously. A patch to correct the numerous multiplayer faults is due soon, until then it's barely playable at times.

4 - Perfect Dark Zero - like it online, not that pushed with single player game. What i like about multiplayer is they really have sorted it, you rarely ever see lag, if a host drops the game - it automatically finds a new host without interrupting the game too much. however it needs some new multiplayer maps, soon!!!!

5 - Project Gotham Racing - another game I bought because of the hype, and yes I can appreciate it looks good, it did not bowl me over as much as it did others. It's not really a pick up and play title, it's an invest loads of time and patience game, so if it's pure arcade experience you want - forget this. Online you need to be really good otherwise it's last place every time (like me!)

6 - Amped 3 - average all round. looks good, plays ok. Nothing seriously wrong with it, just that's there's nothing impressively right about it

7 - King Kong - another FPS that impressed me for the first couple of levels and then began to drag on and on.... By the time you've longed to get off the same boring island - you finally get to New York which lasts all of five minutes and it's over!!! Just average i'm afraid.

8 - Need For Speed Most Wanted : looks great when still, but to me it has serious frame-rate issues that actually make me nautious when playing. The only racing game that's actually made me travel sick. I gave up because of it. Not sure if this is a PAL issue only..

9 - Ridge Racer 6 - another average racing game. Just it got a bit boring on me. You play the same courses too much and the reward for another duplicate looking car or paint scheme just wasn't worth the time investing in it to me.

10 - Quake 4 : Better than Doom 3 on a single player game level. Frame-rate can stutter here and there, not the greatest port (you can tell it was a rush job so that it was out for launch) and overall not the greatest FPS. I think ID may have had their day. Both Doom 3 & Quake 4 just weren't very good games - bar graphics. Oh forget multiplayer - it's the worst game for LIVE i've ever played. period....

11 - Dead or Alive 4. Prepare to scream, prepare to throw your controller half way across the room in frustration.. and then to pick it up for just another go :) Great graphics, the single player really could have done with an easy mode for people who don't want to invest 100+ hours mastering every character, just to unlock a game they've paid a wad of cash for.
    Online its good, but can sometimes lag MATRIX sty-lee...

12 - Full Auto : of all the racing games, it the most fun I've played. I really like the game both single player and online. Graphics are excellent, frame-rate is far better than NFS. Though it has 1 BIG problem... Burnout Revenge is due out soon and will more than likely be overshadowed by it.

Full Auto and Condemned are my most played games overall - Thanks SEGA!!!

--------------

Xbox Live Marketplace is a wonder. demo's and trailers are great. Live Arcade has some cracking games too - geometry wars etc....

Overall I'm more than pleased with the xbox 360. It has lived up to my expectations and I have no regrets.

Will be buying Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, The Outfit, ElderScroll's Oblvion.. and maybe Burnout Revenge & FarCry Instincts...

9. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

COD2 was the first one I bought, that is a good one to have, the graphics aren't won't blow you away, but its the total immersion of sound and visuals details that make it a great game.

I haven't had problems with Need for Speed, if you like racing fast and hitting as much stuff as possible, then this is a game for you. The single player game is long, so you should see a lot of time in this game.

PDZ - the game is ok. After playing a ton of Halo 2, I can't get used to the controls of this. I can't find a good balance of sensitivity, either it is too fast and I can't aim at all, or too slow and can't shoot anything that moves. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have money you just want to spend it.

Kameo - this surprised me, the demo really wasn't that good, but I got it anyways. If you like Zelda, then you will like this. The environments look nice, voice-overs aren't bad, I get stuck quite a few times because I can't figure out the puzzle, but that makes it good and not just a mind-numbing game.

PGR3 - This game has really impressed me. I had the original game on XBox and played it a bunch, but wasn't sure I wanted the 360 version. I didn't want to constantly worry about hitting walls and such, but it really is fun. The level of integration with XBox Live is very impressive, after every event you see your ranking and where you line up. You can also watch the best who are online racing, very cool. I would recommend this game, especially if you have an HDtv.

10. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

As others have said Perfect Dark Zero is decent, but not great. I found it to be a fun time while it lasted but to be honest it doesn't take very long to shoot through the single player game. Again the multiplayer is decent but not great, not as enjoyable as Halo 2 or Call of Duty 2's multiplayer.

Kameo - I didn't really like this one, the whole elemental thing just seemed kind of gimicky to me. Graphics were good but graphics are a means to an end for me. Somebody said you might like it if you liked Starfox Adventures, I would have to disagree, I loved Starfox Adventures, but this just felt like a platformer that they needed to attach some gimmick to.

Call of Duty 2 - What can I say, probably my most liked game so far. It's fast paced, it's intense, it's got a good single player mode, it's got a good multiplayer mode, it's got some damn good graphics, and some pretty decent sound as well(do yourself a favor and go get some 5.1 surround speaks).

Project Gotham Racing - It was ok, but I'm not that into the arcadish racing experience for any significant amount of time. A much better buy is Forza, it works on the 360 and is a damn good game(and it will cost you under $15 at half.com).

Need For Speed Most Wanted - Again I'm not that big into the arcadish experience but for my fix this is it. Great game overall, I was a fan of the original Hot Pursuit so this is a great addition to the NFS line of games.

Quake 4 - What can I say, very dissapointing. The frame rate is horrendous, and it doesn't look much better than Doom 3 on my regular xBox. A shame this had to be rushed out the gates, as I normally love to support the team at Ravensoft(only a mere hour from where I live). But this was a redamnshotty port.

Fight Night R3 - I played this at a co-worker's place. Plays good, looks even better. I'm just not into boxing but if you are this is the cream of the crop it seems. Me, if it don't got Sodapopinski I don't want to play it. :)

Geometry Wars - Gotta be the best 5 buxx I've ever spent. This game has gotten more play than any of the others listed above. It has redonkulously addictive properties.

Ghost Recon - This looks like it's going to play smooth as butter. This is next on my Gamefly list, and looks like its going to get a purchase from me as well.

Overall the list of games right now is solid out of the launch, better than any previous launch I can remember in my long history of console launches. If you have 400 buxx laying around burning holes in your pockets you really can't go wrong with a 360. It's only going to get better from here on out and we are sitting pretty good right now.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Must just be the PAL release of NFS that's got a guffed up FrameRate.
    The demo on the marketplace actually played better than my retail version!!

Like I say, Kameo's a case of love it/loathe it (a bit like Marmite)..

I'd recommend a 360 only if theres games that interest you - otherwise it's a bit pointless. But I guess that's the same on all systems.

The reason I'd say go for a 360 now is...

I'm not hopeful that the PS3 will see a release in Europe this year.

Afterall, We have heard minimal amount of stuff about launch games, and if like Microsoft last year at E3 they finally show off some real time footage, it will still probably be xmas time before it's released.

Even the big titles for it MGS4, RESI 4 aren't due till 2007...

Even if does get out in Japan by fall, i'm guessing they will stagger release like the psp, Europe probably wont see it till at least spring next year.. The 360 will keep me occupied till then.

I'd love the REV to come out this year too, but since my pre-order for Zelda Twilight Princess was first placed in June 2004 with DVDBOXOFFICE.com i'm not holding my breath.

I will buy both REV & PS3, but just dont envision being able to for 10-12 months. That's a shed load of time, and whilst some 360 games havent been great, by the time we see the competition, 360 will be on it's second generation of games, really pushing the multicore cpu and gpu....

Imagine what games like Condemned 2 or FightNight Round 4 will look like if they are this good at this stage...

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I like Zelda, but Kameo is nothing like it. It's a little more arcade-like I find. It's more similar to Starfox Adventures in my opinion (read: a weak clone). It's alright. but like id games I think Rare are in decline now. they need something fresh.

Right now all I play on the 360 is Geometry Wars (out of Kameo, PDZ and some random golf game). It's brilliant. But this whole scenario just reminds me of the DS. A sort of "okay" launch, nothing spectacular with another 6-12 months to wait until the real games start to come out. I think Halo 3 will be the turning point. Or just later 2006. DS and 360, both rushed to launch :(

13. mkubal macrumors 6502a

I've only purchased two games so far COD2 and Condemned.

I really liked Call of Duty 2, very fun, good graphics. But I get tired quickly of the same thing so I haven't played it since I beat it.

I have yet to finish Condemned and that's mainly because I just don't feel like playing it. I'm not sure why. It was the first game I've ever played that actually managed to be scary. I guess it just gets repetitive.

I think what I need is a good RPG to get me interested again. I hope Oblivion can do the job. Until then I will be buying Ghost Recon (probably today) because I've always enjoyed those. For the last few weeks I've been playing Marketplace games exclusively. Kinda sad, but they can be fun and addicting.

Has it been worth having a 360 up to this point? Not really. However, there are a bunch of games coming out that will certainly be enjoyable and from now on it's probably worth the price of entry.

I can't wait to get my hands on an 360 MLB game. Hours upon hours of good times.

14. blckout20 macrumors member

I own....

Call of Duty 2 - Love it. So much fun having people come over and play capture the flag in multiplayer.

Fifa 06- Pretty good game. Hard to score, and you can only be international teams, it would be nice if it was clubs instead of world cup.

NFS: MW - I think it's pretty good. The graphics are nice and it's an enjoyable game, not much differant than past NFS games I suppose.

NHL 2006 - Good gameplay but no real content to the game. It was fun for a while but quickly got boring due to a lack of depth in franchise mode.

I've played NBA 06 and Madden 06 and it was the same as with NHL 06. The graphics were pretty good and with the exception of NBA 06 which has terrible gameplay, playing it was pretty fun. None of these games had any real content to them though unlike there counterparts on other consoles. It seems they just threw these games together for quick releases. NBA 06 is one of the worst games I've ever played even with good graphics.

15. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I couldn't agree more... I really want to see the 360 MLB game and the NEXT INSTALLMENT OF MADDEN (the first one was ok..... definitely a disappointment IMHO.... but good things will/should come in '07)

16. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I don't have a 360... yet. :)

But if I did, I would definitely get Call of Duty 2 and Oblivion (when available... think I read somewhere that it just recently went gold?).

17. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

COD1 was awesome for the same reasons being used to describe COD2. I played the demo on a PC and it definitely seemed nice, just not sure I'm up for spending $60 on a game I could get for $50 when it comes to Mac...

MacRumorUser: You seem to be the one with the most games... are you running these on an hdtv at 720p? 5.1 speakers? I was just curious as to what setup your running so I can gauge what *my* video/audio experience might be like.

Anyone else feel free to post what you have your 360 connected to as well!

18. mkubal macrumors 6502a

My 360 is hooked up to a 60 inch Sony LCD (projection) running at 1080i/720p, whatever the game supports. I've also got 5.1 surround hooked up. It's pretty sweet. The surround sound gets fairly intense in COD2 and the new Ghost Recon, which I played during lunch (sweet game).

Yeah, but from what I heard when picking up Ghost Recon this afternoon, 2K sports has an exclusive license with MLB, which could suck big time. I always enjoyed the EA games. This could be a bad year for MLB. :(

Another game I'm looking forward to is blazing angels. Looks awesome.

19. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

My experience was prity good. My friend owns one, and I was there when he first hooked it up. I was most impressed with the dashbord features. Microsoft really knows how to pack features in their products.

The games also were prity good. We played on my 42" plasma, so no graphical complaints here. Kameo suprised me the most. Perfect Dark was kinda disapointing... It was really hard to get use to the controls. PGR3 was also very fun, and I hate racing games.

Its not something I will buy (Nintendo fanboy) but I will always want to go to my friends house more often :p

20. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Are you playing the game on PAL (50 Hz) or PAL60 (60 Hz)? I'm still waiting on release of the 360 here in .au land but when I played NFS:MW at the store it played fine on PAL60. I have the game sitting here ready to play at PAL60 so I'm hoping this is a 50 Hz issue.

21. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Game worth buying a 360 for? Well, that depends on what you enjoy playing and if you have a HD set, IMO.

First, I'm going to reference you to my review of the Xbox 360. See if that answers your questions.

I own PGR3, CoD2, PDZ, FNR3, and NBA 2K6. I love them all. I got rid of Madden; junk, man. :mad:

Rentals: GUN (no replay), King Kong (pretty, no game), and DOA4 (don't like fighting games).

In fact, with the new higher 360 price tag on games, I pretty much view a gaming rental service like Gamefly a mandatory investment. Gamefly has already saved me hundreds of dollars in playing games that aren't worth buying. Play 'em and send 'em back. ;) If anyone would like a Gamefly referral let me know; we'll both save some bucks.

[Edit] My setup: Sony 60" GrandWega LCD HDTV (1080i), Yamaha 6.1 surround sound system

22. natehan macrumors member

natehan

23. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Not only that but Gamefly has great used Keep It prices which are going to get even lower now with the Gamefly Rewards system put into place this week. Free Gamefly Dollars and % off based on how long I've been a subscriber, I can deal with that. They already save me a good deal of money both on used game buys and rentals. I normally like to support games I really want by buying them new but I really don't forsee me buying hardly anything new at $60 between Gamefly, Half.com, and PrePlayed(a store in Madison, WI) I will have to stock my shelves with used games for my 360.

24. 1nsanity macrumors regular

I just purchased GRAW and Burnout Revenge earlier at my local EBGames.

So far I have FNR 3 and it's simply the greatest boxing game point.
    I have on order, PGR3, PDZero and Kameo.

I'll try to remmember to give feedback on GRAW later tonight, if I don't, you'll know why.

25. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Don M: Great review, very thorough!

I don't yet have a sound setup for my TV which, in comparison, is quite small but I really like it. It is a 27" ViewSonic n2750w "TV Monitor" that does every mode except 1080p. I'd like to get a 5.1 speaker setup for it but honestly don't want to spend much since I'm not an "audiophile". The 5.1 speakers I have are Creative Cambridge Soundworks 2200 and they will not connect to my new imac nor my tv. Cost me $100 when I bought them and they are really great, but alas... worthless to me now (unless I wanted to buy the Extigy or FireWave).

As for the Xbox BC, here's a link to at least one of the developers.

My understanding is that MS handles creating the profiles but does offer the emulator to developers for testing purposes. (So they can work with MS to get a profile setup for games before they launch). I believe the 360 team has been no vacation after launch and is returning soon.

I think I'll wait until May (E3) before deciding if I want to get one. I'd like to see a good show by MS and finally get solid details on Rev/PS3 although I consider Rev an almost definite by and the PS3 a definite no. Sony has yet to impress me with a system, but I'd welcome a great surprise at E3... they might be able to change my mind...

Xbox 360 though... I am a Halo fiend, it's the only game I will claim to be deadly at and unless they completely botch it Halo 3 is a definite for me.