Xbox 360 Get's Hacked=The Dutch Rock

Discussion in 'Games' started by mac.head.high, Jan 12, 2006.

1. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

2. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I love that part. What so previous consoles had no way of checking if a game was real? The whole point of modding a console is to get around the checking system.

Anywho, the 360 was always going to be unhackable. Even this generations impossible hack (the Cube) was eventually done. Sure it was messy in the beginning, streaming games via Phantasy Starr Online but it became easier.

This time next year the 360 will be playing copied games as common as they are today. Go into any computer market in England, all the places I've seen offer Xbox mod chip installations, HDD upgrades etc.

Its nice of Microsoft to say that its impossible to hack, but oh so pretentious.

Looks my prediction was almost right too. I was saying months ago that Germans would hack the 360 within a month of its European launch.

4. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Are you saying the Dutch are almost German? Come on man, you know how mad that makes them!

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

lol, I used to live in Holland, the dutch do indeed rock.

You know, the DS did this, too. They got around it with PassMe- a device that plugs into the top slot, in which you insert a game. PassMe takes the headers off whatever game you popped in, so the system boots from that game, then redirects it to run whatever is on the bottom slot (where you insert a flash cart with NDS apps). Ta-Da, homebrew.

I suppose something similar could be done with an external drive on the 360. Or they need to find some way to create a fake Microsoft signature.

Yeah, in Holland they'd mob you if you said that.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've spent time in most places in Europe and yea, linch mob :D thats why I said I was almost right. That neck of the woods (germany or holland) but never somewhere like Poland, Italy, France, Norway... just never seem the type to me! and hey I'm quarter Polish so :p

I predicted the PSP would flop (or rather not do as well as the DS, going off theory) and that HD-DVD will be the victor as the next gen video format. Fingers crossed aye!

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I don't know why your all flaming microsoft. Ok it's bad news for it that someone has hacked the machine, but they still have to make a mod chip and burn a readable disc yet.

Besides in the long run Microsoft will probably sell more consoles ironically, because Sony's BluRay drive is going to be a bugger to pirate as the cost of the blank media will be astronomical for a couple of years, look at the price of Dual Layer DVD's still.....

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

hey its closer than not hacking the system. Like I said, I predict this time next year mod chips will be commonplace in the market, albeit expensive but there. Remember these guys have only had a 360 since Europe launch and look at the progress already.

funny to not hear of any american hacking the machine, seeing how long its been out over there.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Depends. What drives hacking systems- piracy, or homebrew?
    PS3 will be the easiest of all systems for homebrew- Sony announced they will even support it. You'll recall Sony will install Linux on the hard drive and encourage homebrew developers to make apps. Blu-ray on the other hand will make piracy harder.

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Er... guys... check the dates. It's more than slightly old. While you can rip games, you cannot play them. There is no modchip. There is no softmod. Something more interesting (being worked on, although very little has come out of it yet) is the store kiosk demo disc. That disc can be burnt with any DVD-R drive and can be played in any XBox 360. Also, Hexen HD (and so probably the rest of the arcade games) is just a .swf flash game that can be played in a browser and you can replace the WMV-HD PGR3 demo with any WMV-HD file, and it will play (HD movies! :D). Not much more than that has come out of it, but, as said, they're working on it

11. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Yeah, it won't take long. Afterall, if it can be programmed it can be re-programmed.

My modded Xbox that I use to own Ran Unleash X as the main system and XBMC seconbdary. IT was great.

IF it's true that the arcade games are just flash files, is it possible that we can take these off the HD with a thumbdrive, and play them in Quicktime or Safari even? Or even possibly pass them to another 360? hmmmmmm.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Aye the regular Xbox provided me with a lot of entertainment, before I got my monitor (and partially the lack of Tv-out for the 12" PowerBook) I could only watch DivX files shared on the house network with XBMC. it was great. But since getting my monitor I haven't used my Xbox much. XBMC is brilliant.

13. ThomasM macrumors regular

microsoft never said it would be impossible to do it...they just said that they expect it to take longer time than it took to fully hack the xbox, this due to the fact that they have done their best to prevent the xbox360 from being hacked, while the xbox was just a bunch of hardware put together.

14. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Will all the smirks vanish when OSX for Mactels (the new, official version) is cracked to run on any PC?

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm sure I read somewhere that some big guy at Microsoft claimed it would be impossible to hack a 360. That each one is different or something like that.

and here we are.

Funny how they think 'tamper revealing stickers' will stop people getting these things modded :rolleyes: then again with the 360's track record so far I suppose you can't be too safe.

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Wait...

If the 360 will execute content off that disk and you can change the content...

What is to prevent replacing the demos on the disk with commercial games?

17. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Holy crap, Batman! :eek:

18. wnameth macrumors 65816

wnameth

I am new to xbox as i just got a 360, but i am pretty sure that if you have a mod chip or hacks on your xbox you get kicked off Live and there goes your subscription... so is it really worth it... :confused:

19. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

well, Im not saying its impossible but it will have to be cracked by a HARDCORE programmer that will know how to get OSX to run with a bios instead of EFI. I don't know about you, but I dont know any single person that is that good.

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Find one of these videos:
    [macbidouille.com]OSX86.mp4
    [macbidouille.com]Startup_Hi.mov

They've already got OS X booting.

And future PC's will have EFI.

21. TheGimp macrumors 6502

AWW...but we'll always be willing to shell out for masterpieces such as Condemned and its (announced) sequel in order to support the efforts of hardworking and creative individuals to spread the fruits of their good karma to all...

22. After G macrumors 68000

After G

It should be easy for Apple to stop people running OS X x86 on PC. Just implement a hardware check similar to the iTunes one. I'm pretty sure Apple keeps track of which Ethernet addresses are their hardware. Or if not the ethernet address, perhaps the serial number on the computer.

If hacking the OS ever causes OS X / Apple hardware to dip in sales, Apple will implement a check for sure. Then you can thank the bastards who are too cheap to get real Apple hardware for making your life just a little bit more miserable.

23. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Apple will probably do something like make it require simultanious multithreading, thus stopping most of the OSx86 people who didn't buy an X2

While there are no checks on the disk itself and no checks on the data files, the apps still have a form of check that prevents you from just dragging-dropping games to the disk. However, Hexen HD may end up being replaced with an exploit, so you run the disk, chose Hexen, then take the disk out, put a copied disk in, and it boots

24. mac.head.high thread starter macrumors regular

mac.head.high

Not true. A long story short, even if you were to not turn your mod off or hide it when you went on XBL, only your box is band from going online. And that's only if you aren't paying attention. And there are work arounds, but the easiest is just buying a new Xbox.

Just a note: The most common reason modders get banned from XBL is the fact that they don't observe the marriage theory and install a new hard drive in a after having been online already (and installed the newer/newest dashboard). That's the burn.

25. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

This is correct. After the Xbox goes on Live, a database on MS's end stores the information on the HD and motherboard. I believe they also store the eeprom #.
    However, if you mod the box before going on LIVE, they have no real way to detect anythign has been changed. Sneaky bastards.