Xbox 360 going to have Revolution type control???

Discussion in 'Games' started by d_saum, Mar 5, 2006.

1. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Haha.. You knew it was going to happen!!!!! Just didn't think it would be this soon! :p

Honestly, Im all for it though... I want as much innovation as possible when it comes to gaming!!!!

2. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

technicly, the eyetoy beat them all on the PS2?

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ok I'll do a little dissecting like I did with the original Rev controller...

So this is using cameras? If its measuring 3D spaces then you're going to need 2. Isn't the Xbox 360 camera supposed to cost around £60? 60*2=120. £120, opposed to just using gyroscopics (then again Nintendo have patents left right and centre where they're concerned).

though it won't be perfect. As webcam camera's are not as fluid or fast as what the Rev will be doing, you will likely get jittery motion. as little/cheap cameras stutter and also the 360 having to process an image.

d_saum; you want innovation but you don't condemn outright copying? hmm. I'd like them to try something new rather than copy what Nintendo are doing. But hey, if history has taught us anything it's that people will copy Nintendo on the controller front. It was done in the 90's and its happening again today. Sales wise they're not a market leader, what's the word for an innovation leader? or is that the word?

What I'd give for an ounce of originality...

Well whatever. I'm glad Nintendo are playing this smart. I'm sure I heard that the controller isn't the most revolutionary component to the Rev. They've yet to announce "THE" feature. by keeping it quiet they're assured of last minute clones by other companies. no?

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Perhaps the first standalone Marion game since N64? Bah! Googleymoo!

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, I'm sure that the XBox camera will lead to some EyeToy type games, but the difference is going to be that no developer is going to risk making a big name title that requires the use of an expensive optional add on. With the Rev it will be a standard device that everyone is guaranteed to have, so developers WILL USE it.

They could have an add-on that does EXACTLY what the Revolution controller does and AT BEST they will get ports of Rev games; and none of the must have Nintendo made exclusives. So, really, this is kind of a big fat who cares. :p

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well xbox had to get into the eyetoy/rev. thing soon or they might look like fools not getting "wit it"

Bless

7. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

8. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

unless they release it with it. Thats how the PS2 did it. Eyetoy didnt randomly come out. it was introduced with games and then later on, just the games were sold.

9. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

So the Microsoft Xbox 360 will now:

-try to be like the Nintendo Revolution with a future add-on Revolution type controller
    -try to be like the PS3 with a future add-on high-definition player.

Are we sure this is next-gen or just current gen with add-ons to make it kind of like the actual next-gen systems? :)

10. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

microsoft copying ideas from someone else ! No WAY! :rolleyes:

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Iwata (Nintendo): We are working on our next system, it will cause a gaming wevolution.
    Fans: ooooo
    *next year*
    Iwata: Look! It's a wand, it's a virtual hand!
    Fans: *standing ovation*
    anti-fans: *grumbles* that will hurt your hand. I'm not doing any exercise!
    *bit later*
    Sony: We're making something like the Revolution controller!
    Xbox: So are we!
    anti-fans: yey! MS and Sony, how could we ever doubt you're cloning prowess!

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Elmer Fudd is working for Nintendo now?:D

14. jdechko macrumors 68040

HAHA. I think its interesting that we are hearing a lot of news about MS and Sony doing "Nintendo-like" add ons for their systems. But it seems more like an "us too" sort of thing. I don't think this poses much of a threat to Nintendo, because I really doubt that MS or Sony have worked on this idea as an entire system the same way that Nintendo has. With the announcements of Sony and MS, their products seem more like a gimmick designed to sell a few more systems, rather that innovation/advancement in the gameplay.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Have you heard his speech? neen-tendo eez wukin on eets next... and so on. No offence to the guy or anything. "a gaming... wevolution" "diffewent" "ow-wa pwoach" "wha shoo a nuw machine doo?"

god i love Iwata :D he better be in the next Smash Bros.

best bit though *without the accent slow down* "I suppose I could give you a list of our technical specs, I believe you'd like that. But I won't. For the simple reason - they really don't matter" **crowd cheers**

16. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

;)

17. csTYCOON macrumors newbie

Anything that will make a console gaming experience more fun is welcomed. At least I think so.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Normally I'd agree. but say, what if Sony's BluRay was the only next-gen format. It was coming out now. but a week before its worldwide launch Microsoft come out and say "no! we're working on something too! it will cost more and won't do the job as well, but its a next gen disc format!" would you then say "the more mediums we can store films on is a good thing!" or would you just condemn them for copying, cashing in if you will?

Ok that's a bad example. But the point stands. Anything that makes gaming experience more fun is a good thing, but when it's copied, when it's a lesser version then can you not help think that this is a gimmicky and after-thought than a real solution, or rather they come up with something new?

I'd like Microsoft, hard as it may be, to come up with something fun and new. not contrived and copied. They are the richest company in the world. Why on earth can they not pay someone to think original thoughts for them? Maybe then I could experience Halo as if I was actually there. Or actually feel like I'm flying a dragon on Panzer Dragoon.

God look at me. I've been bashing out essays all day and my fingers just don't want to stop.

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'll say it again, this patent looks like it has absolutely *NOTHING* to do with the XBox 360 or the Revolution controller. The patent was applied for in 2004, was intended for use to control PCs, and no mention to games or XBox is in there.

20. Viewtiful Rich macrumors regular

Viewtiful Rich

Even if this is in regards to 360, which I don't think it is, the fact that it won't be standard is a huge problem. If you want something supported make sure it's in the system box.

The FHC is going to be big for gaming and I want Nintendo to get full credit for it. If Revolution doesn't do well there are a lot of stupid gamers out there as far as I'm concerned.

21. jz1492 macrumors member

jz1492

Rev controller in trouble?

Probably, but it is possible that Nintendo's Revolution controller may be in infringement of this patent.

As for inventions, there is a company in Japan that just started selling in the US after many years in their local market. They may be credited for INVENTING gesture tv gaming.

Their game's name is also of the X...x form. They are SSD, and their console is the Xavix.

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It should also be noted that this thing lacks the Revolution's pointer ability.

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

so a patented system using 2 cameras/stereo cameras is rumored to rival the nintendo controller which uses a completly different internal technology ?
    1. it will be an add on (if it's ever released for the 360)-> very little games selection since it isn't standard (which is the whole point)
    2. a camera system is, seriously, not going to be as precise

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

3. Financially. How much are MS flogging those (or at least predicting) webcams for? How many will we need? hmm. we all know they like money.