XBox 360 HD DVD Player questions

Discussion in 'Games' started by rtdgoldfish, Feb 19, 2007.

1. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I got an HD TV about two weeks ago and I've been looking at getting the HD-DVD add-on for my 360. My TV runs at 720p resolution so I had a couple of questions I hope I can get answered.

First: Anyone know if the drive will upconvert regular DVDs to HD?? I've been looking at upconverting DVD players and since I have so many regular DVDs, this is kinda important.

Next: Do HD-DVDs play in 720p?? I thought I read somewhere that they are only 1080i/p so my TV only being 720p would make the drive pointless.

And finally: Anyone else out there have one of the drives?? How are the load times compared to a stand-alone HD-DVD player if anyone has one??

Thanks!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, The HD-DVD for the 360 wont upscale, however the standard DVD player in the 360 will upscale if you use the VGA connector (but not the Component Connector)

The 360 will output at 720p, so no problem there.

3. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'm quite certain you are complete wrong.

HD-DVD and DVD will both upscale, and they will do so to 720p over component and VGA, DVD only upscales to 1080p over VGA due to regulations.

I'm sure a few more people here can confirm this.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I'm pretty sure that it will only upscale standard DVD's using VGA

VGA:
    HD DVD - 1080p resolution and all others
    DVD - Upscaled as high as 1080p resolution and all others
    Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future
    Component:
    HD DVD - 1080i resolution maximum, limited by AACS
    DVD - Upscaled to 480p maximum, limited by CSS
    Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future

5. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

SD DVDs will be upscaled if, and only if, you use the VGA cable.

6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

It will only upscale DVD's via a VGA cable. The highest quality you can get from regular DVD's via component is 480p.

The drive is a lot quieter and faster at loading than the internal drive of the 360, at least that's my experience with the HD-DVD drive.

7. rtdgoldfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

So if I buy a stand-alone DVD player that upscales to HD, will it work if I use component cables or HDMI??

Looks like I'm still going to be stuck with both a 360 HD-DVD drive and an upconverting DVD player since my HP Media Center PC currently uses the VGA port on the TV.

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

9. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

Thats what swiftaw said, twice. :rolleyes:

10. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

You can't upscaled standard DVDs over component. It needs to be component or VGA.

Get the VGA cables and a VGA switch. :)

11. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

12. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Assuming that to be true (I can't find anything to dispute it), it's in violation of CSS license agreements.

13. rtdgoldfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

How about an upscaling DVD player that connects with HDMI?? Would that work??

14. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

I simply do not believe this. If I play a standard DVD in my old progressive scan DVD player hooked up to my HDTV it looks extremely bad. Almost to the point where it's not worth watching. If on the other hand I play the same DVD using the 360 with the 360 set to 1080i it's difficult to distinguish from an HD-DVD at a normal viewing distance. If it's not upscaling then something weird is going on.

Oh and my 360 is hooked up to the HDTV via the standard component cables.

Matt

15. emoeric macrumors member

I could not agree more. I bought a ps3 to play some games and watch blu ray DVDs for the "HIGH DEFINITION EXPERIENCE" Psh, what a mistake that was. ps3 has little games worth buying right now, and the blu ray is pathetic! The movie quality looks like a the same quality as my regular sony dvd player hooked up to my other HD TV; Its pretty weak.

On a side note, the blu-ray is most likely going to win the format war. Sales are two times the HD DVDs and more companies are in the Blu camp.

In conclusion, I love the 360 with every cell in my body. I far superior product in every facet.

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

my "old progressive scan DVD player" is a Pioneer Elite - the picture is stunning on a projector.

Your XBox 360 is simply a higher quality DVD player than your old one...

17. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Frankly, I don't care what you believe.

This is a bit of an old article, but it's stil factual:
    http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/09/21/xbox-360-hd-dvd-playback-maximum-1080i-via-component-1080p-vga/

I tested this by hooking it up to a 720p LCD, which tells you which "mode" it's in, and confirmed it. I also found several articles and forum threads to further confirm it.

The Xbox 360 does not upconvert SD DVDs over component cables.

It's a damn fine player (it even beats my old and worn Sony player for quality), but there's no up-conversion happening unless you have VGA cables.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have my 360 connected via VGA and it looks great when playing DVDs. Better than my pioneer standalone HDMI dvd upscaler which is riddled with faults.

Does the PS3 upscale dvd via HDMI ?

19. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The PS3 doesn't have an upscaler.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oh yea I forgot. :eek: