Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kalns, Oct 31, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

Kalns

Is anybody else picking one up?

I ordered mine from Amazon a few days ago. Looks like they've sold out of their allotment. Apparently that's happening all over.

Here's the movies I have coming:
    Batman Begins
    King Kong (of course)
    Casablanca
    Serenity
    The Searchers
    The Adventures of Robin Hood
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    Forbidden Planet

How about you? :D

2. macrumors 68000

Abulia

I probably will as an impulse purchase when there's nothing else burning a hole in my pocket on a certain week.

I have a pretty good HT setup so a $200 (?) buy in for HD-DVD -- even if just to fool around with it -- is tempting.

3. macrumors 68000

wwooden

Same here. I don't really need one, but I do have a good entertainment setup and it would be great to see some movies take advantage of the HD TV and surround sound. And $200 isn't bad considering it comes with the universal remote and a movie I haven't seen and wanted to see.

Just too much stuff coming out this next month, gonna be lots of money spent.

4. macrumors 6502a

I'll probably end up getting one early next year, I'm in no hurry. An HD DVD player for only $200 is hard to pass up and I do have an HDTV so I might as well. My only concern is the format wars, I don't want to start building a movie collection of HD DVD's that will be obsolete if Blue-Ray wins.

Fortunately, HD DVD is making dual format disks that will work on DVD and HD DVD players, haven't seen Blue-Ray do that yet. I'll start with those.

5. macrumors regular

Will the quality of the HD Xbox drive be equivalent to a retail 1000 dollar HD drive? Seems like it has to be stripped down in someway to justify the price difference...but what do I know?

6. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Nope I'll pass...If the BD was not a must for the PS3 I woudn't have that as well but oh well.

Bless

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

No, I frequesnt home theater forums and all reports from people who've had significant hands on time with the player say that it's video quality is excellent and on par with the high end Toshiba player (they manufacture the 360 player too) and that the disc load times are substantially better on the 360 one as well. It really seems like a no brainer. Of course if you haven't preordered yet, your odds of getting one this year may be somewhat slim.

8. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Those $1000 players require cpu's, memory and all the other innards to put what the drive is reading onto your screen, plus they are taking NO financial losses on hardware,

The 360 already has that hardware and is being sold at a loss to M$, so all they are charging you for is a barebones HD-DVD player drive with the 360 handling the processing. That's why it's so much cheaper.

9. macrumors 68020

combatcolin

While Microsoft are correct in refusing to ship games on DVD and HD DVD, i think there making a mistake in not offering a 360 with a HD DVD drive.

Much more tider than an external drive, not matter how well styled it is to match the base machine.

10. thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

Well I'm almost certain that at some point they'll drop the core SKU and instead offer an HD-DVD and HDMI equipped version as the high end. I for one am glad though that as an early adopter of the 360 I still have the option of adding a drive to play HD-DVD's. It's all about options.

11. macrumors 68000

wwooden

Only thing that might be nice about the second drive is it might be a lot quieter running then the built in one. I know that when I am playing games or watching movies, its the DVD drive that makes the most noise. Maybe this external drive for the movies is much quieter when running, that's my hope.

12. macrumors 68020

combatcolin

The 360 is on i think its 2nd or 3rd rev, so its optical drive will eventually get quieter.

13. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I have no need of an HD-DVD drive but I'll get one since I have an HD TV and will just rent HD movies from Netflix until the format wars blow past... and then probably still rent them... :)

14. macrumors newbie

15. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

16. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm getting one anyway. I have a lot of rubbish games I dont play so I'm going on a trade fest and will get a hd-dvd add on.

I'm sure it will only be time before dvd player app is updated or VLC is updated to support HD-DVD....

17. macrumors 6502

hey, now u can use it also for windows :D.

go to HERE and click on the news link talking about the hd-dvd. :D have fun

18. macrumors 601

gloss

19. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

This does seem like good news... but are no USB (or internal) HD-DVD drives coming out soon for Mac/PC? The 360 add-on is read-only, seems it would be cheaper then $200 for a barebones drive for computers...

20. macrumors 68020

combatcolin

21. macrumors 6502a

I just picked up the HD DVD player from Target a couple hours ago. I'm fairly impressed. The picture is great and it works flawlessly.

I did have one little hiccup though. When I went to play King Kong (included), after I installed the drive and the software that came with, the thing stuttered like mad. We're talking a half second of play followed by three seconds of pause. So here I am thinking "oh hell no, this is bullcrap." Luckily, I restarted the console and all is well.

If anyone has any questions, I can probably answer.

22. macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Our CircuitCity store just sold out of it's allotment of 4 drives. So it must be pretty popular.

I wanted to open one up and put it on our demo 360. oh well.

23. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

cool. thanks

1 question - but you wont be able to answer but would love to know..

I'm actually wondering where the region settings are on the drive or on the 360. for example if I buy a HD-DVD drive from the states will it work on a European 360 and therefore enable me to watch Region 1 material.....

24. macrumors 6502a

I was under the impression that HD DVD is all region free. Anyone know?

I'll have to take a look at the box when I'm home again... back at work. :( :D

EDIT: Wikipedia is your friend:

25. macrumors 6502

hm...my circuit city had like 6 of them and I was looking at them and I asked how much was it and he said it was 200 but we've only sold 1....ok.