Xbox 360 HD-DVD

Discussion in 'Games' started by Core Trio, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Core Trio macrumors regular

Core Trio

May 16, 2006
    New Jersey
    So I stumbled onto today and saw a story in the 360's HD-DVD add on. I clicked it and this is what i saw (sorry the picture wouldnt post heres a link)

Its big enough to be a stand alone player for gods sake! Anyone else think that looks somewhat awkward??
  2. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    Out of curiosity, how is it supposed to work in conjunction with the 360? Will it attach via USB and just be an external drive w/ decoder, leaving the 360's GPU to render everything and provide the outputs? Or will the 360 provide some processing power, and have the outputs from the add-on?
  3. thechris69 macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2005
    Hell NO! that looks amazing, sorta how that mac mini hard drive attachment from LACIE, where its the same size and stacks onto the mac mini... i think that just looks like a smaller version of the 360, very cool IMO
  4. benyaimin macrumors member

Jan 19, 2006
    it would be pretty sweet if you could connect it to any computer w/ USB and the power to process it.
  5. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    Except it's not the same size and it does not "stack" (does it) with the 360. ^_^

Nonetheless, I don't thinl it's that big. Looks like one of those regular external disk drive.
  6. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

May 25, 2006
    Arlington VA
  7. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2005
    Center of the Nation
    looks pretty big to me. is there a price point yet?
  8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
  9. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    That does look pretty big.

But what are MS thinking? IMO they should stuff a HD-DVD player into the premium console and make the current premium the core. effectively making a quasi-price drop. Plugging a HD-DVD player into a big console via USB? It just sounds so, well I suppose it is but- bolted on. last minute thing.
    So how is the 360 going to display HD video, I thought you needed HDMI?

It just seems mad to me. external HDD, external HD-DVD drive to an already huge console. That thing had better be USB powered too, else this is going to be a silly moment in MS history.

for the record. I like the 360. just so nobody shouts fanboy.
  10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    No, HDMI is required to work with the DRM and to display 1080p.
    Component works fine for 1080i and 720p, as long as the DRM is disabled on the disk. If the DRM is enabled, it'll play in reduced resolution.
  11. benyaimin macrumors member

Jan 19, 2006
    it's all part of microsoft's plan to take over the world
  12. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    Doesn't look all that much larger then a standard external USB CD/DVD-ROM drive...
  13. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Nov 20, 2002
    As much as I would like the drive to be internal, if it can't be, this looks pretty dang good I think.

Doesn't make me feel any better about the format war on the horizon though.
  14. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

Mar 12, 2006
    Under the sun
  15. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    Even when this comes out, it will be a long time before I buy it for my 360. I think movies look great already on my HD tv through my 360, so I definitely don't see a desperate need for this. And since my TV does not have HDMI, I want to make sure this will work with all HD-DVDs.

Lastly, I want to see how both HD-DVD and BlueRay play out before I commit to one.
  16. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Well, more accurately, it's a specific flag in the DRM spec that needs to be turned on/off. It's a token restraint flag, or some such jargon, but it's been off on all discs so far. All of the discs though have very strong DRM enabled.

I'd agree that they should have just swapped the internal drives on the premium model. But, they should also offer this add on for current customers who might want it, or for future basic bundle buyers who change their minds in a year or something. I probably would have bit if it was built into the player (and came with a remote and HDMI port). Oh well.

To answer an earlier question, the drive is supposed to be JUST a USB HDDVD drive, there's no video circuitry in that device. The Xbox CPU and GPU will handle the required decoding, decompressing, menu generation, and display output. For the inevitable follow up, yes, USB2.0 has enough bandwidth to stream an MPEG2 or 4 compressed HD video stream.

EDIT: wanted to add something about the linked article... the statement form ATI that they are providing the decoder for MS is promising. The latest generation of ATSC/QAM HD tuners (over the air and cable HD service tuner) use an ATI decoder product that is generally thought to give the best HD picture yet in terms of clarity, color, etc. So they at least have a good trak record in HD video decoding.