Xbox 360 HD

Discussion in 'Games' started by barr08, Dec 29, 2006.

1. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I just bought a 360 last night, and I was wondering about the component cable that comes with it. Am I getting the best quality on my LCD HDTV with the cable that came with the system, or would I do better with a different cable? Do I need to tinker with any settings in the 360 software, or is it the best quality out of the box? I got an HDTV just for this system, so I want to make sure I am getting the best results. Thanks!

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

You might get slightly better with VGA, if your TV supports it.

However in my experience the component cables that come with the system are great quality, personally I haven't seen the need to switch to VGA. Of course, I haven't seen any comparisons, so someone else might be able to tell you more accurately. In theory, they (VGA/Component) are very close to the same (and both analog).

3. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

From what I understand you want the vga cable if you want to maximize your hd-dvd viewing experience if you have hddvd addon. with that said I have a vga cable on my dads 55"dlp at home and here at my apt I have the component and have yet to see any real difference

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

VGA will have an even bigger impact on regular DVD viewing:

Component = HD-DVD @ 1080i, DVD @ 480p
    VGA = HD-DVD @ 1080p, DVD @ 1080p

Go with VGA if you can. Otherwise component is only slightly less good.

5. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Monster Cables are overrated and ridiculously overpriced.
    Stick with the one you've got. :)

6. stagecustom macrumors regular

wait? i thought VGA can only produce 720p for the 360 to a monitor? it says on the box of my official vga cables, or is that only for the HD DVD add on?
    i guess what im getting at is: is the vga hooked up to a 1080i tv gonna display 1080i? incase i get one in the future?:) BTW ignorance is bliss;)

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The box is wrong. VGA connections on the 360 can now go up to 1080p. So yes, using VGA to go to your 1080i VGA-capable TV will get you 1080i in ALL modes (game, DVD, HD-DVD).

8. stagecustom macrumors regular

AWESOME! will regular dvd's played in the 360 on my 720p monitor (vga) look better then when i play them through my mac mini into the same monitor in dvi?

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Ummm... there's really no way to say either way. You'll need to judge that for yourself.

10. Motley macrumors 6502

I think the 360 upscales (fakes hi-def) the dvds while the mac does not do any upscaling (of which I am aware).

11. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

That's true, it does. But how good it's going to look is still a bit subjective. Upconverted DVDs have more resolution, but no "new pixels" (i.e., no new detail)... so they're pretty sharp, but they won't look as good as an HD-DVD playing at the same resolution, for example.