XBOX 360 HDMI cable

Discussion in 'Games' started by noelister, Oct 12, 2006.

1. noelister macrumors 6502

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

3. ViveLeLivre macrumors regular

ViveLeLivre

The web consensus is that it's vaporware. If I had to guess, I'd say Microsoft is holding back due to the 360's poor framerates at 1080 resolution. I have a 1080 capable TV and my 360 gives headaches at that res.

1080p isn't available as a config option from the 360 dashboard either so the 360 software might need updating. Or perhaps they're watching the sales of HDMI cables and trying to figure out how much they can overcharge gamers for one.

Still, there has to be a decent market for it. I know my Samsung LCD HDTV only has 1 component video port, so an HDMI option would be nice. Not to mention that HDMI connections are a hot item right now.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

??? My 360 has no problems with all the games i run at 1080i

Besides the 360 WILL BE ABLE to output 1080p with the next Dashboard Update so your reasoning is flawed. You do not need HDMI for 1080p

All old games will upscale to 1080p rather than offer true res - but importantly, new games could take advantage of 1080p if developers see fit to use it.

5. ViveLeLivre macrumors regular

ViveLeLivre

Call of Duty is terrible at 1080i. Tomb Raider is choppy. Dead or Alive isn't smooth at all at that res. Didn't care for 1080i on Dead Rising either. I know I get sub-30fps on each of those games from time to time. Which is really not a big deal for me, 720p is just fine.

That's what I said.

Maybe I didn't phrase it well.

Yes, you can run 1080p with component video, but good luck finding an HDTV that supports it.

Where did you read that Microsoft is updating the Dashboard for 1080p?

6. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I agree with you about not needing hdmi for 1080p...why are people selective about believing it?;)

7. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

the xo6 conferenc in barcelona

8. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Funny, Call of Duty 2 is extremely smooth on my Xbox at 1080i.

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

i wasnt too excited about the 1080p thing over component as IGN was saying that most tv's won't convert the analog signal so only select TV's will work with component 1080p (for now anyway)

plus I don't have $3000 for a 1080p anyway lol

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

same here.

Also Tombraider as mentioned above is also fine in 1080i for me, but it has jerky cutscenes. but this is also the case for me in 720p - but the main game is smooth no matter what res I'm in.

I also have no trouble with Dead or Alive or Dead Rising either.

However there isnt a huge graphical difference between 1080i & 720p to be honest regardless and I think it depends on your TV which will also look better (some TV's may scale 1080i better than 720p and vice versa)...

However regardless of all this 1080p will remain out of reach for most anyway - hdmi or component.... Most TV's - especially here in Europe do not support it, and of those that do - it is the £3,000 - €4,500 price range that do. So not may gamers are going to be blowing that kind of money soon.

I think for this generation 720p / 1080i will be perfect and maybe in 5-6 years time when the price of technology has fallen, 1080p in our new machines will be ideal...

11. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

I wish the rumors were true.
    Regardless of the resolution, digital output provides a sharper picture compared to component, RGB and VGA.

12. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I wonder as to how many people out there can truly tell the difference between digital and analog connections and how many of us have fallen for a a placebo effect

13. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

what do you mean by choppy, not constantly running at 200 fps? I have never seen a console lag or get chopy. Normally game designers make their games work on the consoles they make them for.

14. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

Probably the same amount of people that notice the difference between SD and HD video. Or the difference between component and composite.
    Everybody else: start wearing glasses! :D

15. ViveLeLivre macrumors regular

ViveLeLivre

Again, most HDTV's do not support 1080p on component video, which perpetuates the misconception.

I know what I'm seeing. I can quite easily distinguish the difference between 15/30/60 fps, 480/720/1080 res, and composite/component video.

Higher resolutions equal extra work for the console, which means a reduction in FPS, period.

The 30fps thing is a myth. 60fps feels smooth and comfortable to me. 30fps is less than ideal. Below that it's choppy, and for whatever reason (hell, it could be my TV) my framerates just aren't smooth at 1080 for most games.

Take DoA for example, which was the game I was playing when I first noticed the framerate difference. I can't imagine DoA rendering anywhere near the amount of polys being pushed by Call of Duty 2 during intensive battle scenes. Yet at 1080, during the DoA demo, there are moments when even this game seems to drop below 30fps. At 1080, fighter moves don't have seamless transitions, there is missing information. If I dial down the res, I see fluid action blow-by-blow...which is what you want when you play fighters. If that's not dropped frames, I don't know what is.

My TV has to convert the source, so perhaps that's the problem, but it has to do this for 720 as well, so I don't think my TV is the culprit. If anyone has an explanation, I'd be glad to hear it.

EDIT: I should add that it isn't just the demo of DoA, but that's where it was most noticeable/repeatable. If you have DoA, try watching the demo a few times while switching between resolutions, and pay close attention to the wrestling mat scene where this is obvious.

16. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

So, how is it that you're getting lag and dropped frames at higher resolutions when the rest of us aren't? I don't get it.

17. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Mine does. Runco PL-50c, circa 2000. It does full 1080p via component video. :)

18. the kid 05 macrumors regular

St. Charles Illinois (subdiv of Chi-town)
    i got a tv that can show 1080p for 800 :) olevia i love them

19. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'm willing to bet you (and 95 out of 100 people) couldn't tell the difference between the same video over component and HDMI/DVI (when sent from the same source and properly calibrated for each input).

The only thing HDMI is good for is one cable with audio and video. It's bad, though, as it gives content producers greater access to controlling what we do with purchased media. :(

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well that exactly was the reason why it got introduced

same with digital getting introduced here where you often end up with lame 640 isntead of true PAL resolution :rolleyes:

21. benpatient macrumors 68000

I don't have a 1080i or 1080p screen, but I can confirm that it's not easy to tell the difference between a well-calibrated DVI/HDMI digital connection and a well-calibrated component connection from the same source.

My Panasonic 50" 8UK (only 1366x768) display has both inputs, plus VGA, and when I run the same signal from two source cables to the display, one over DVI and the other over component RGB, I see zero difference. The only time I can see any difference at all is when using the HTPC, because the DVI output on my computer's graphics card is sharper than the VGA output, which comes from the second DVI port of the card and then goes through a dongle VGA/DVI adapter. And the difference is that the text is ever so slightly less "crisp." Turning off "text smoothing for LCDs" in Windows (called ClearType or something like that) has more of an effect than switching between digital and analog.

the difference between a component 720p signal and a DVI 720p signal is so tiny that you have to do back and forth A/B comparisons to see any difference at all.

Switching from the SD feed of a prime time network show and the HD feed of the same channel is like being punched in the face with something wonderful. It's like putting on glasses when you're 15 and for the first time in your life being able to look up and see different, distinct points of twinkling stars in the night sky instead of the hazy blobs that are all you've experienced.

Anyone who has seen proper HD on a great HD set has known that it wasn't "regular" TV. If My Panny didn't say "input 3" and then "PC Input" on the OSD when I switch from component to DVI, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two from 2 feet away...even wearing my glasses...

22. stagecustom macrumors regular

how would the adapter pictured in that link work with a 360 at all? did i miss something or is there no input on the back of a 360 to enable either of those? there is def no DVI input and i don't see the other HDMI one? can someone elaborate on this:)

23. sixstorm macrumors regular

It's already been stated that you will be able to do 1080p on videos and games via VGA. Component connections are restricted to 480p in videos and 1080i in games. Engadget did a story about it recently with the X06 event.

24. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'm pretty sure they announced 1080p over component... ah yes, here we go...

http://www.2old2play.com/News/Xbox_360_adds_1080p_Support
    http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/09/21/xbox-360-hd-dvd-playback-maximum-1080i-via-component-1080p-vga/

Looks like MOVIES from the HDDVD addon will be limited over component for license/copyright issues, but not games.