Xbox 360 "Jump In" Ad

Discussion in 'Games' started by clayj, Nov 9, 2005.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Anyone else catch this ad during Lost tonight? GREAT commercial with everyone throwing water balloons at each other...

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

No, didn't see it, not in your country (Lost season 2 hasn't started). Was it another typical micro$oft ad ie, really pointless and embarrasing for any M$ supporter/Xbox user? Or was it 'good'?

3. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Well, until the last few seconds of the ad, there is NO clue as to what the ad is for... just a bunch of city scenes (looked like somewhere in a South American city) with kids and adults hurling water balloons at each other, singly, in packs, from overpasses, etc. For a bit I thought it was going to be some sort of ad about "wouldn't wars be nicer if we all used water balloons instead of bullets and bombs?" Only at the end does the Xbox 360 logo and the tagline "Jump In" appear. The idea, I guess, is that Xbox 360 will let everyone play games against each other and no one really gets hurt.

4. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

omfg what a dumb commercial but who cares anyway lol micro$$$$ux is evil no one will buy their xbox because it is by micro$ux what a dumb commercial.

(Insert disclaimer regarding sarcasm of the above)

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I thought it was a great commercial. Very cool!

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Lost....? Huh? I'll wait for it to come online.

7. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Sounds like a good commercial to me. Curious about the 360, but I'll be waiting at least until the PS3 and Rev come out next year before I buy anything. There are still too many great games coming out for the Xbox and PS2 to throw crazy money at the next gen systems just yet.

Of course, that's an easy position to take until I see one on the shelf of the local electronics store, looking all shiny and whispering my name.:rolleyes:

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

For those who'd like to see it, I've uploaded a copy of it here:

http://formymac.com/MR/XBox360.mov (~50MB)

This is from my "emergency back-up copy" of Lost I recorded in case I got an urgent phone call or whatever, and so it isn't stellar quality.

One request: I don't care who downloads it from within MR, but please don't link to it externally.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Thanks for the video. It's a great commercial, but I don't know WHAT they're selling to me. (I know it's Xbox 360) The commercial is just out there...

10. qzak macrumors 6502

another version

theres a different one to, where it looks like Brooklyn or something, and there are people doing all kinds of sweet jump rope tricks. its actually pretty amazing what they can do.

but yeah, the commercial has noooo sign of what it's selling to the very end where the xbox logo comes on screen. i dunno, cool tricks, but not a big fan of the ad in general. i just see no connection except "jump"

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

i think i saw that...not really an xbox fan although i have one but i'm waiting for the PS3 to hit the spot and the groundbreaking nintendo to claim what is theres.

PS3-->will be getting no matter what
    Revolution--> will get no matter what (supports all Nintendo except the DS)
    Xbox360--> will wait until a good game comes and i have enough money cuz apple is putting me in the dog house right now.

Bless

12. satans_banjo macrumors regular

now now - although most microsoft ads are bland and, well, *****, the first xbox ad was great. don't you remember the one where the baby flies out of the womb and flies through the air, quickly getting older before it turns into an old man and flies into a grave? then it said "life is short. play more". that was a great ad

13. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

What about the "she kicks high" ads, those were freakin hilarious.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I thought it was a really cool ad. Thanks for the link jsw. :)

15. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

are you serious? i sincerely hope you were being sarcastic.....sure, while i think they're evil and hate m$ do you honestly believe that no-one will buy it? wake up dude.

as for the ad, i'm just about to go watch Lost (i love TiVo)

16. Eluon macrumors regular

it sucks. thanks for the link. it absolutely sucks. I wish some of our apple marketing guys would go over to Microsoft so that the competition doesn't seem so incapable.

17. Butts M Biggilo macrumors member

My wife was scared

Me too... The commercial was bad. We thought it might be an anti gun or anti war commercial.
    Butts

18. cubist macrumors 68020

What happened to commercials where people actually show and talk about the product?:eek: I hate these modern commercials where you can't tell what they're selling.

Beer commercials, for example. Compare the silly Coors "Love Train" commercial with the Budweiser one where the brewmaster talks about Budweiser Select. Which one makes you want to buy the product?

So now, why doesn't Apple make a commercial showing a person, not dancing but sitting in a chair, using a Mac, doing things in Mac OS X? He/she could be talking to someone on the phone. "Easier. Simpler. Mac." I think that'd sell more computers than the stupid Switch commercials.

And yes, I hate the iPod commercials too. You'd think they were selling some kind of drug.

19. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

They're selling expensive razors, in effect.

20. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Yes, I was being VERY sarcastic. I'm probably the biggest "pro-" Microsoft guy here.

21. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

haha, thank goodness for that ;)

i actually thought it was a decent ad.

to those who posted above about ads actually showing the product etc, well, there are plenty of people out there who "switch off" when those "simple" ads appear. when asn ad makes you think for a second (or longer) it does it job far more effectively. the fact that there is this thread about it proves that. yes ultimately the ad's job is to sell the console, but it is succeeding in creating "buzz" and awareness for the product (as if it needs any?).

22. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

anyone catch any more "Jump in" commercials?

I just saw a jump-rope (double dutch?) ad during Smallville. The product was revealed only at the end like the water-balloon ad. It was engaging, and had some pretty sweet stunts. Odd thing is, I knew it was an XBox360 commercial the second it came on... really don't know why though (maybe there is some subliminal trickiness going on).

Anywho, anyone with Tivo wanna post this one up too? =)

23. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

i LOVE water balloon fights so much!

why wasn't I cast for this commercial!!

and jsw, only YOU would have an emergency recording of Lost... :)

/I wuv woo!
    //like scooby do!
    ///oh man, I can't rhyme

24. shidoshi macrumors regular

A lot of people have critisized the commercial for not showing game footage, relating more to the 360, etc., but I think it is a really awesome commercial. The point is to remind you of how fun it was as a child to just go out and play together with other kids, and all of that. It's a strong message, and ties in well with what they're trying to do with the 360.

I'm no Microsoft fan, but Sony really is making a mistake here. For all of the negative aspects of internet place, the huge positives outway them, and being able to get online and play with other real, live people when you can't have friends over makes gaming far more enjoyable... like going outside and playing with the other kids as a child.

25. satans_banjo macrumors regular

ps3 may be a better console, but xbox 360 is going to completely dominate the entire online aspect of the consoles. this is microsoft we're talking about. they were there when the internet was made public. these people are the only company out of sony, nintendo and them who could really deliver something as great as xbox live! you won't believe me until you play on xbox live, trust me