Xbox 360...just another reason to hate MS.

Discussion in 'Games' started by toomuchstereo, Mar 26, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

I have had a 360 since launch day. I am now on my 5th 360 since MS keeps sending me bum ones. I am really tired of the service, and quality control of Microsoft.

This isn't just limited to the system, patches are now standard for console games. Personally that is a bit upsetting. Console games used have bugs squashed before being released. Now it is common practice to just release a buggy mess, and then patch it when you get a chance.

Sorry for the rant folks, I had to do it somewhere with a intelligent community, certainly not the xbox.com forums.

2. macrumors 6502

My room is completely Microsoft free:D I have everything (DS, PSP, Gamecube, PS2, and will buy the new DS, PS3, and Revolution) except any XBOX.

3. macrumors Core

Dagless

The way I see it. Games are getting more complex, coding for a plethora of CPU's, custom graphics cards for all machines. things are bound to go wrong (namely for multi console games). Back in the old days it was a lot easier, a lot less coding to go wrong. I suppose these fixes are the future for bad/lazy developers or games that start to cost too much.

As for the Xbox itself. I dunno. I had a good run with my original Xbox. Never had any major problems. except that it can not read any audio CD, official or not. But it's hardly major to me.

that said. my Xbox is the last Microsoft device in my bedroom. I's also need to remove the Windows XP stickers from various boxes too.

4. macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Maybe God just hates you? I'm on my 2nd unit and it works fine.

5. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I find it kinda sad console games have patches now. I always patched my PC games, but my console games were simpler and I didn't have to worry about compatability and patches...

6. macrumors 68040

takao

i think the problems with the 360 are troubling but i think over the next months they will go away ... i guess they were surprised by the revision A problems as well ;)

for the patches: i think with the introduction of HD in consoles it was just a matter of time...

7. macrumors 6502

well... my gamecube has acted up maybe twice... the dreamcast rarely...

Hell the only system I've owned that has actual problems is the nes...

8. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

MIcrosoft is a good mouse maker.:D I mean that.

9. macrumors Core

Dagless

Agrees.

10. macrumors newbie

patches...

The problem arises from Microsoft making the developers rush their games for the stupid marketing scam of an early release. The more complex the game, the more time needed for development. Its that simple, if you rush a game...guess what? Its crap. Valve took their time (too long maybe) for Half Life 2, but they knew and acknowledged that time is needed to get things right. Blizzard have always been like that, and their games are always top quality (with the exception of online problems...)

I have an xbox because I wanted games to play without having to buy a high end PC...Macs just cant offer the same range. The next gen im going to buy will be the Revolution. Im getting sick to death of this Graphical arms-race between Sony and Microsoft, and Nintendo are sticking to their guns and doing the proper thing: making *games*

But in answer to your original problem: they are machines built to a marketing timeline, not a manufacturing one. What do you expect when you release a product before it should have come into the public's hands?

11. macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

12. macrumors 65816

plinkoman

damn, thats some bad luck. i mean, with the way the rushed the 360 out the door, i wouldn't be suprised if you got one or maybe two bum units, but 5!?

if that happened to me, i'd be screaming at microsoft to give me some sort of compensation, in addition to of course, getting a working machine...

13. macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

personally, I find the number 5 a little hard to believe but what do I know.

14. macrumors regular

bitfactory

I received my 360 on March 2nd from Costco. I knew something was wrong when in the first week while playing Call of Duty - the dvd drive made this horrific whirring sound, followed by some clicks, then you could hear it spin down - the console was locked (screen frozen). I chalked it up to a simple crash - but I noticed that the game had a thick circle rubbed on it. Uh-oh. (and no, I didn't move the console while it was on - who in their right mind would? - it has literally been sitting horizontal, virtually untouched except the eject button, since I unboxed it).

It has since done it with GRAW and Burnout -- so I bit the bullet and called for service this weekend. The woman who took my information was a total jackass. I literally had just completed my sentence and she starts up with, "Microsoft has done testing and the only way the consoles scratch discs is if the console is moved." I told her I didn't move it, and never have, and she says, "Well, Microsoft has done tests..." - I had enough and ripped into her. I'm in my 30's - I own thousands and thousands of dollars worth of electronic equipment - I didn't 'move the console.'

She told me they weren't responsible for the scratched discs, to which I told her I 'figured I was screwed with that.'

She then said they'd either fix the console or send me a new one. "A refurb you mean." "No sir," she said, "we don't have refurbs - they are new consoles that haven't been put into stock."

ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS.

Oh well - I'm not feeling too optimistic that this is going to turn out okay. I've spoken with 2 people from the 800 xbox number and they've both been absolutely rude morons.

I should get the box in the next 4 days, then she said it'd be 8-10 days before I got my console back.

I had zero problems with the regular xbox - I like the theory behind the 360 - but I'm thinking this thing is a dog.

15. macrumors 604

clayj

Two Xbox 360s, ZERO problems.

If you've really gone through 5 of them, I think you have to ask yourself: Is there something about your environment that's causing them to fail? Are you putting the power supply somewhere where it can't get good air circulation? Where exactly are you putting it? On top of a speaker or near some other electronic source?

16. macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

or do they feel cooler by bashing MS? thats what I ask myself

17. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

I think Microsoft should switch back to Intel with the next Xbox.

18. macrumors 6502a

saunders45

I would agree with that. After all, all the cool kids do it.

19. macrumors 6502

alright. good talk.

I think the "advantage" that MS thinks they have is going to blow up in their face. The dreamcast had a head start over the PS2 and we all saw how that ended up.

If sony is only exaggerating marginally then the ps3 really is going to have a lot more horse power. and while nintendo may feel that more horse power is not the way to go, people that are choosing between a 360 or a ps3 likely think it is an important factor. to that end i see sony catching up and surpassing MS pretty fast. the big ? is when halo 3 is coming out...that will make a huge difference in sales.

20. macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Uh, why? :confused:

21. macrumors 68000

Abulia

Thank you for the laugh. :D

22. macrumors G3

Counterfit

That's what I'd like to know. Most of their problems have been caused by a rushed development leading to hardware design faults, which are unrelated to the CPU. I don't think having Intel instead of IBM would have helped bitfactory one bit.

23. macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

i like the xbox and xbox 360... but i'm getting a PS3 :)

24. macrumors member

I refuse to buy a 360, mainly because I'm not much of a gamer anymore. I will probably by a PS3 only because I'm sure it will be absolutly awesome.

I have an PS2 (big one), Xbox, & Game cube. The xbox had a recall on the power cord, which I was sent a new one. The PS2 won't play a burned audio CD, (me thinks Sony was on their DRM kick back in the day) but any how. The Xbox now is in my sisters room she uses it as a DVD player mainly, I never had any good games for it anyway.

The PS2 is in my room and is used a DVD player and to play GTA.

Gamecube I only bought to play the old sonic games on, so it serves it's purpose there.

Dude, if you've burnt though 5 360's already I'd seriously consider giving up on it. :)

25. macrumors 6502a

Airforce

What do you expect it to do that the 360 won't?