xbox 360 life span

Discussion in 'Games' started by tim2006, Feb 1, 2007.

1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

sony has said that the PS3 lifespan is 10 years. what about the 360, xbox 1 is dead when will the 360 be replaced.

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well that depends on what you consider "life span"

PS2 was out 6 years before the PS3 launch. Saying it will have a 10 year life span is just saying you'll still be able to buy it retail and get retail games for it for the next 4 years.

That makes a lot more sense for PS2, it has a HUGE user base.

Something like the Xbox was a starter system for Microsoft and never garnered that much sales comparatively. It makes less sense to keep it on shelves.

Now if you consider Wii supporting every past system through VC and even GameCube games, PS3 with PS2/1 support, and 360 having a large selection of Xbox backwards compatibility all systems have a pretty long "life span" in terms of games.

If systems like PS3 and Wii are fully backwards compatible with previous generations, it doesn't really matter if PS2 and Wii hardware is sold in retail or not.

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

In fact, nVidia stopped production of the GPU for it in early 2005, so all stock you see in stores is coming off the reserves

4. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I think 360 is going to last a good 10 years as well, at least.

The community aspect of live and the Live Anywhere connection with Vista will keep the online play alive, and that really helps longevity.

Look at battle.net for Blizzard, having a great online component keep people playing... there were 200K+ players on battle.net this morning, playing Diablo 2, Starcraft, Warcraft 3, etc.

People have their friends list in 360, stats, clans, etc... it's something I really think will extend the life of the 360 immensely (even though I'm not really apart of that "community").

5. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Microsoft prematurely (wrongly so IMO) pulled the plug on the Xbox because they weren't selling. The problem is - the system was finally coming into its own and finally started showcasing some muscle, and then they yanked the cord.

The reason the Ps2 is still around is because it's still selling and making games for it is cheaper than making games on the Ps3 or 360...plus developers have worked with the hardware for a long time now so they know the ins and outs.

360 lifespan is anyone's guess. I don't think they'll be prematurely pulling any plugs on the 360; it's a different ballgame this time around because the system is selling well/has sold well, and there are many exclusives yet to come down the pipe (for at least the next 2 years; some stuff like Huxley won't drop until 2008). I'm sure 360 will be around for another 3-4 years (if not longer).

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I want new consoles 2010/2011 all round.

By that stage the graphics will be looking dated and the Wii prehistoric.

7. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Yeah, I'd like to see one more generation come about that time... and then I'd like companies to just stop for awhile.

Not release a new system/PS5 until 2020.

Concentrate on games and network services... let the hardware sit for awhile. heheh.

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Right..Never going to happen, as long as that green paper(whatever color it is in your country) still has value then we'll be seeing PS12, xbox2billion and of course the Nintendo Whut.

Bless

9. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I agree it's extremely unlikely.

But in the end doing what I suggest wouldn't necessarily lower profits, but rather increase them.

New consoles take a lot of R&D and for the first couple years they lose money on them.

If they got an extra 5 years out of the hardware that would be much more profitable long term then starting over on new hardware (with new dev kits, new APIs, new development tools, new engines, etc).

So yeah, I think it would be more profitable and actually lead to better software.

10. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Thats highly likely, not for MS, but for PS and possibly even Ninty.
    PS3 came out end of 06(as did Wii), if Sony puts one out every 6 years or so, you will be able to purchase a PS5 around 2018-2019.
    Of course you could also enjoy your PS4 for a few more years and wait for a price drop, around 2021.
    (since Sony supports their console's for 7-10 years)

At the MS rate(considering their current position on supporting their "last-gen" hardware) you'd basically have to buy a new console every 5 years.
    xbox - 01
    360 - 06
    720 - 11
    1080 - 16
    1337 - 21

If these trends continue it will be interesting to see how market share changes. Assuming each respective launch date is a little farther apart from its competitor.
    Although I think MS will do better about supporting their hardware longer, and also have better backwards compatibility.
    (since the original xbox is largely regarded as not so successful, due to lost revenue)