XBOX 360 more powerful than Cel.

Discussion in 'Games' started by iQuit, May 23, 2005.

1. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

XBOX 360 / PLAYSTATION 3 PERFORMANCE COMPARISON

SUMMARY
    Now that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 specifications have been announced, it is possible to do a real world performance comparison of the two systems.

There are three critical performance aspects of a console:
    Central Processing Unit (CPU) performance.
    The Xbox 360 CPU architecture has three times the general purpose processing power of the Cell.
    Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) performance
    The Xbox 360 GPU design is more flexible and it has more processing power than the PS3 GPU.
    Memory System Bandwidth
    The memory system bandwidth in Xbox 360 exceeds the PS3's by five times.

The Xbox 360's CPU has more general purpose processing power because it has three general purpose cores, and Cell has just one.
    Cell's claimed advantage is on streaming floating point work which is done on its seven DSP processors.
    The Xbox 360 GPU has more processing power than the PS3's. In addition, its innovated features contribute to overall rendering performance.
    Xbox 360 has 278.4 GB/s of memory system bandwidth. The PS3 has less than one-fifth of Xbox 360's (48 GB/s) of total memory system bandwidth.

CONCLUSION
    When you break down the numbers, Xbox 360 has provably more performance than PS3. Keep in mind that Sony has a track record of over promising and under delivering on technical performance. The truth is that both systems pack a lot of power for high definition games and entertainment.

However, hardware performance, while important, is only a third of the puzzle. Xbox 360 is a fusion of hardware, software and services. Without the software and services to power it, even the most powerful hardware becomes inconsequential. Xbox 360 games—by leveraging cutting-edge hardware, software, and services—will outperform the PlayStation 3.

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

3. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i can highly doubt that that stupid @$$ xbox piece of crap is going to beat out the PS3 by any means. no i dont own a ps2, never have. only an xbox. M$ did good with the xbox but i am totally disappointed by this machine, guess im crossing over to the sony side. well see everyone bite their tongue when both of these consoles are released

:p

4. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Don't really see how you can be disappointed by something that no-one has used yet!?

5. supergod macrumors 6502

Well, let's see. It isn't sleek and sexy, as promised, it's hardware isn't as advanced as the PS3s on paper and in demos and it really doesn't seem to bring much new as far as games are concerned. Microsoft is focusing on making a multimedia powerbox (remember when they espoused this kind of logic in 2001, saying that Xbox was just for games because that's what gamers really wanted?). Even the controller looks the same, although it's now a bigger ripoff of the Dreamcast pad. Sony is taking a big risk by putting really expensive and powerful technology into their PS3, something they didn't really have to do back with the PS2 because the competition was so poor. They're cramming an incredibly powerful CPU, GPU, the next standard for Hi-Def DVD (BR) and all of this is simply to make games more realistic and immersive... I'm rambling.
    Either way, all that I know is: When I saw the Xbox for the first time (and the second, and the third...) I thought, "okay, seems fine" and when I saw the PS3 my immediate reaction was "I want one, when can I get one" and this is coming from a guy who does not play a ton of games in this generation and doesn't own a PS2 because the quality didn't seem to match that of the original PS. The tech demo for FFVII was enough in-and-of itself.

6. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I happen to think the 360 looks nice, and it's way sleeker then the last one. The only reason sony didn't have to make a powerfull system was there were NO competitors. If xbox had been out at the same time the ps2 would not of had such a huge amount of sales over the xbox. The ps3 does look awsome, and yes, it owns the 360 in hardware. But it's all about the games. Who cares if it has a ton of stuff you can do with it, it's mainly all about the games. Just because the ps3 owns the xbox hardware wise doesn't mean the ps3 games will crush the xbox games. There are very few games that actually take advantage of what ther systems are truly capable of. If they do, it takes them a long time to come out. The reason why the ps2 library is so big is because game developers come out with a ton of crappy games. Thats not to say the same for the xbox, but there are probably more crappy games for the ps2 because there are more games for it, it's just a ratio thing. I'm sticking with the xbox, just because i love a lot of the games that are on it, and i know it's still going to be an awsome system reguardless of how much better the ps3 is.

7. wide macrumors 6502a

test drive unlimited demo looks amazing. that's for xbox 360.

Ni-Oh, for PS3, did not look that spectacular, though.

it's simply a matter of how much effort is put into these games. most of the demos we have seen have been picked out by sony and msoft, so they are clearly going to be the best each console has to offer until the programming methods are perfected.

8. SurfAddict macrumors member

SurfAddict

There are extremely high level speaking threads that unless you are a hardware designer will baffle you. But basically these threads can make a case for each system being more powerful than the other or being more powerful at certain things than the other ( as far as 360 and Ps3 go). Check the beyond3d.com console talk forum

9. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Everyone is forgetting this is about games nothing else. The current Xbox is faster than the PS2, hell most current consoles are faster than the PS2 yet the Sony machine outsells them.

Nintendo make great games but don't seem to go after the same market as the rest. Xbox game makers seem to target the exact same people as the Sony guys. I bought a PS2 for GT4 and GT4 only. I'll probably by a PS3 just for GT5 (I like my driving games :) ) and while there will be people who say you could have got an Xbox with PGR2 I've played it and just didn't find it as immersive. It is personal choice.

Sony have come out of both previous console wars very well despite have what on paper was an inferior machine, as long as the games are good they will do again.

10. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

11. Chryx macrumors regular

Try Forza Motorsport, PGR2 isn't a simulation, it's an arcade game with pretensions of simulation.

12. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Next time I'm in a game shop I'll give it a go. I don't think I'll buy an Xbox this time around though may as well wait until these new beasts are available ;)

13. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

all these arguments are moot since the xbox 360 has not even been made yet. did you see the picture of the demo boxes? there were 2 G5's sitting side by side pumping out 360 power... kinda funny.either way until we see 1st gen games then we will know who can claim the power. demos are demos.... we have not seen ingame yet for any thing.

14. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

The best racing game for X-Box

Forget Forza Motorsport. Outrun 2 is the only racing game to buy an X-Box for. Some people do not go for unrealistic games but I think that whatever is good for the gameplay should be in the game. Outrun 2 is a great example of this.

15. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Unless you want a realistic sim driving game...not sure what your point is, other than that different people want different games.

Big driving fans would likely get a kick out of both.

16. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

True. PS2 is beaten by the Xbox technically, yet GT beats Forza hands down.
    Infact I am soooo disappointed with Forza. Old games such as PGR2, Rallisport 2(work of genius) and TOCA 2 outshine it graphically to such an extent that the Forza developers should be ashamed. Gameplay is rather odd as well, there isnt that sense of 'feeling' as if youre making contact with the tarmac. Perhaps I need to give it more time.
    Compairing the Xbox360 and PS3 is difficult to do because the real power lies in the hands of the developers/publishers. Sonys marketshare is so overwhelming that even given the 360s earlier release I really doubt they'll manage to topple Sony from its throne.
    I'll buy whichever is chipped first! ;)

17. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

gameplay is all that matters to me, which is why i am going with revolution because i can get all my old SNES games which in my thought was the best system ever. I care only about having fun instead of something looking pretty

18. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I'm really bored of this now :p stop reposting for a start.. and then.. well who cares.. this is a mac forum and why dont we just stop calling microsoft cr*p because they probably make some of the best software out there (office, for example, age of empires, virtual pc is very well designed).

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You're saying the impossible however. At the time the PS2 came out, it sold for $300.

When the XBox first sold ONE YEAR LATER, it was selling for $300, but actually costing Microsoft a whopping $380 to build each unit!

One YEAR after the PS2 came out, the XBox cost $400 to build.

If the XBox had been out at the same time as the PS2, it would have either cost a FORTUNE *or* had to have been less powerful. XBox is more powerful because of later launch date and higher production costs. Not because Sony slacked off. Not to say the system couldn't have been better.

20. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

The cost of consoles & Cell processor

It sounds like Microsoft has to launch the 360 this year because X-Box 1 is losing it a lot of money. Serves Microsoft right for taking Bungie away from Mac gamers and everyone else who did not own an X-Box on the game's launch. People think Nintendo is out of the race but I think they will continue making more money from their consoles while Microsoft keeps losing money from theirs.

The X-Box 360 may have good specs but the PS3's Cell processor has an interesting concept. Processors than can directly talk to one another or something like that. Theoretically you could glue a few Cell processors together and create a more powerful graphics computer than what you would get with one. Sony have allready announced that graphics workstations will be built with the Cell. Macs one day too, maybe. Cell is a PPC chip after all.

21. wide macrumors 6502a

22. NuPowerbook macrumors member

Microsoft will lose a whole lot more on the new console if it is priced even within 200 dollars of the launch price of XBox.

23. katchow macrumors 6502

i think its going to be very interesting how this will play out. i have a feeling a lot of ps2 owners are more than ripe for a new system (and maybe a little envious at times of the current xbox's graphic capabilities). Microsoft's early jump into the next gen may play well, w/ kids already getting their xmas lists together. Owning an Xbox myself (and gamecube) i'm excited but not really in a big hurry to buy a new system, i still feel there are lots of games to be played and don't want to pay the premium of buying a console upon its release.

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yup! You're saying the exact same thing that many (vastly overpaid IMHO) market analysists concluded. Microsoft will likely stop selling the XBox altogether when the X360 comes out. They want to make the next generation come out as fast as they can because they are being murdered in the current generation.

25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Honestly, I think its a lot of marketting hype. The XBox 360 *could* reasonably be priced at $399 without losing much.

Parts to order:
    One stripped down PowerPC processors optimized to be good at gaming, rather than being full fledged general purpose processors like the ones in Macs, with three cores.

One customized graphics card thats standard level for the next gen graphics cards.

One standard DVD drive that costs only a couple dollars nowadays (consumers can pick them up for $20, imagine corporations).

An ATA cable (what, a dollar?) so that you have a slot for people to put a hard drive in.

A fancy case, and necessary ports.

Sell to break even or a very small loss (hardware companies like Apple sell for large profit margins).
    ----

It could be done when you look at it that way.