xbox 360 network problems

Discussion in 'Games' started by regre7, Dec 3, 2006.

1. regre7 macrumors 6502

I've just gotten an Xbox 360, and I'm trying to connect to Live wirelessly. I don't want to shell out $100 for a first party adapter, though. I've tried several things, and the last thing I did is starting to make me think that something's wrong with the X360. In that last test, I used my MBP with its AirPort connection shared to wired Ethernet in order to connect my 360 to my wireless network. On the diagnostic, it only got to the second step, IP Address. I've tried both patch and crossover cables.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

2. regre7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'll try that to see if it's my 360 or method of connection.

3. regre7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that link! It worked! I'll try to adapt that method to work with my Netgear ME101 bridge tomorrow. It's too late tonight.

Thanks again!

4. BengalDuck macrumors regular

Will the wireless network adapter accessory thingy for the 360 work with my Airport Extreme? I just bought a 360 (it's being shipped) and I'm interested in playing online.

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

It should.

6. regre7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I just tried that and some variations with my wireless bridge, and it didn't work (big surprise). Can anyone tell me what the settings on the bridge and X360 should be?

Also, one more question. Is the gateway setting on my X360 supposed to be the same IP as my router?

7. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

just get a cheap router. i have airport and a router, i just use airport for wireless printing and router for internet

8. regre7 thread starter macrumors 6502

You mean a router for my X360? How could I configure said router to extend my current network?

I've also got a friend who's a field network administrator for the USMC, so I'm trying to contact him. Unfortunately, I lost his IM name.

9. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

nm, im sry, i forgot my router is hooked up to my PC:(

10. regre7 thread starter macrumors 6502

From what I've read, the only way to connect two routers wirelessly is something called WDS that isn't standardized or something.

I'm getting very close to giving in and buying a MS wireless adapter. I'm still trying to contact that friend of mine.

11. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Yeah, that seems like you're only option now. If you do buy it, try to get it on eBay or something to save a few bucks. The adapter works well, I just wish it didn't cost $100 considering other USB Wifi G adapters are a bit below that. I guess that is what you pay for proprietary hardware.

Anyway, good Luck!

Kevin