XBox 360 - Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Games' started by HelixOmnimedia, Dec 27, 2006.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Hello,

As the title suggests I'm new to the XBox 360, just got it from Santa:) , but would have loved a MacBook Pro instead:eek: Anyway... I have a couple of questions needing answered. I was in my local Currys Store (i'm from the UK) and they couldn't help.

1) I've got the full system with the hard drive, it states 20gb in all of magazines, however under System>Memory ect..ect it says capacity 14gb. WHY? Where has 6gb gone to?

2) Someone told me that it had built in wireless? Is this correct? I've seen a wireless adapter for £59.99!! Does this mean, if i want to join XBox Live, i need to buy the adapter?

3) I got Sonic the Hedgehog, but whenever i got to play it it says i have to change the display to PAL60, not PAL50. However when it's changed the picture quality is very very poor. WHY?

THANKS

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

the 7 GB is for back compat games and other stuff

wireless add on is for the basic xbox360 - you already have it

3 Pal 50/60 is frame rate i think? i run at pal 60 on my projector cos is looks better :)

Get other to Marketplace and start downloading some game demos !!

Enjoy

3. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

So what do i need to set it up?
    I have a NETGEAR wireless modem/router? Will that work.

I really appreciate all the help. THANKS:)

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

1) I've got the full system with the hard drive, it states 20gb in all of magazines, however under System>Memory ect..ect it says capacity 14gb. WHY? Where has 6gb gone to?

Part of the Hard Drive is reserved for the system and backwards compatability and for buffering some games like Oblivion.

2) Someone told me that it had built in wireless? Is this correct? I've seen a wireless adapter for £59.99!! Does this mean, if i want to join XBox Live, i need to buy the adapter?

The Wireless adapter just adds wifi to your 360. If you want to join xbox live you can use the ethernet cable / port at the back of the 360. Just plug the ethernet cable into your router/modem

Contary to what the poster has said above. YOU DO NOT HAVE IT. All 360's come with ethernet only. The poster is confused with PS3 and misguiding you completely.

3) I got Sonic the Hedgehog, but whenever i got to play it it says i have to change the display to PAL60, not PAL50. However when it's changed the picture quality is very very poor. WHY?

How are you connected ?

From the sounds of it your are using Standard Definition television, and as you only got it for xams I ams assuming you are using the composite cable .

The composite cable can give a reduced picture quality, if you are going to continue to use Standard Definition TV, then you will need to purchase the Official RGB Scart Cable. This will give you a great picture of SD television for about £20. Play.com do an unoffical model for £11.99

Composite is probably the WORST picture (after RF) you can use, and a lot of PAL CRT Standard Def televisions do not like 60hz input on anything other than RGB Scart Cable.

However if you you are using HDTV it should not even come into the equation because you will be using 1280x720 or 1920x1080i or 1920x1080p at 60hz anyway.

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

when you turn the xbox on for first time it will ask you what your Wireless settings are so you can connect.

if you skipped this bit go into the last blade on the right and there is a network option un there just point it to your wireless router and enter the key if you have set one for your router -

failing that just plug a network cable in from xbox to your router

6. Motley macrumors 6502

I don't think the 360 premium has built in wireless for internet access. It comes with a wireless controller which the core does not.

To access the internet you can either hook it up with its ethernet port or buy the wireless adaptor. I think generic and much cheaper wireless access points will work hooked up to the xbox since they connect through the ethernet port (I don't own a 360 so anyone who does feel free to correct me)

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

sorry liketom.

The 360 DOES NOT COME WITH WIRELESS.

Both models of the 360 come with ethernet ONLY.

You are leading the poster down the wrong path. He will not find or detect a wireless signal unless he buys the 360 wireless USB adapter. PERIOD.

You are right as I said in my first response.

You can either buy the 360 wireless usb adapter, or but a wireless router that can act as an access point to join your other existing network.

Either way at the moment the OP is not going wireless ;)

8. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i started out with the core and adding on - i was under the impression that the premium had HDD and Wireless (wifi) but hey you learn something new

9. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Ok, i didn't turn it on so it defiantly skipped. I've went to the last blade on the right. Enter into the network settings:
    >Test XBox Live Connection
    >Test Media Connection
    >Edit Settings
    >Windows Connect Now
    >Restore Factory Settings

I tested the connects and it says Network Adapter Disconnected.
    I go into Edit Settings >Basic Settings SELECT and AUTOMATIC - but nothing changes: everyting remains 0.0.0.0

Have i done something wrong?
    I'm sitting in front of the XBox with my laptop, wirless, with full signal, so i know there is nothing wrong with the signal.

Again, i really appreciate any and all help. THANKS

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

YES

Read the other responses in this thread. ;)

11. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

OK Just saw all the other posts, as i was typing my last response.

I need to buy the wireless adapter to make the connection. That's fine, me and my brother are going to split it. I'll use my gift vouchers for GAME to buy the adapter. He can pay for the Live Connection price.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.:D

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

When I got mine. All I had to do was plug it into the 360 and it automatically found my airport express basestation and joined. Took no extra setting up at all, but I dont use security. If you do you will probably just have to add your password.

I buy my 12months gold live subscription off the internet. You can get it cheaper on ebay than in store or direct from microsoft.

I got mined for €40 as opposed to €59.99

13. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

yes he needs to do this soooo much cheaper
    here is a link http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sea...=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I think it might be helpful if people stopped using the word "wireless" all by itself, as in:

The Xbox 360 does not come with built-in wireless.

The above statement is only half true. Here's the unvarnished truth:

1. The Xbox 360 does not come with built-in wireless NETWORKING. If you want to attach your Xbox 360 to your network without using an Ethernet cable, you will need to get some sort of wireless networking adapter... either Microsoft's, or one that is certified to work with the Xbox 360.

2. The Xbox 360 DOES come with built-in wireless CONTROLLER SUPPORT. So you can buy wireless CONTROLLERS or headsets for the 360 and they will work.

15. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

the problem here is terrible advertising by Microsoft. They claim "wireless ready" which in this current day makes everybody think "hey, I can connect to my wireless router"...

16. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

to continue... here is the first sentence (direct quote) from the xbox website where it discusses the wireless possibilities:

"Xbox 360 is the only console that's wireless ready, right out of the box. Controllers, headsets, integration with your home network—the wireless capabilities of Xbox 360 let you say goodbye to the clutter of cables."

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/wireless101.htm

take that as you wish but if I wouldn't have looked any farther I too would have thought I could just turn it on and be running on xbox live with my wireless router.

17. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I see your point but it does say "capabilities". /shrug

18. shortyjj macrumors regular

Another 360 newb question: what exactly are Live clans, and how do you find one? Does it compare at all to a guild in WoW?

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

A live clan is basically a group of people whom you play on live with moreover than others.

There is usually an initiation or voting system into joining that clan. The other members have to vote you in, there is usually a forum going along with the clan.

I met mine, simply whilst playing a game - I joined a player match and all of a sudden a load of irish voices came back at me, and it surprised me as upto that point I had heard very little.

I was tired of laggy matches with people I couldnt speak to in my own language, and getting extremely peed with 10-12 years old screaming and singing thoughout a game.

I added the guys to my friends list and noticed that they had their clan name under their motto, I simply asked what it was and they explained.

There are huge benefit to being in a clan. You get to know the guys or girls your playing with. You can restrict them so that they are all in your country so that LAG is lessend or eliminated. Plus there are live events set up giving you the opportunity to win tournament events with these people and to meet up in person.

I thought it was all a bit geeky at first, but after 10 months of being in a clan, it has made xbox live one of the greatest highlights of gaming this year.

I've met some really great people and become friends outside of the xbox live arena.

The best way of finding out about a clan in your area is to google it or look on the xbox forums.

Our clan has been in the official xbox magazine a fair amount and has been on the FRAG Dolls website a fair amount with tournaments etc...

We have won games, trips to monza and ubisoft montreal etc, in fact were officaly sponsored by ubisoft now.

Clan gaming is great fun indeed.

20. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Wow, well aren't you a popular clan member! :p Seriousy, though, all that is awesome. I've never done quite all that, but I do agree with what you said about being in a clan. Getting to know the people and working together like a real team really adds to the replayability to the game.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

:)

22. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

idiot stupid question , but if you want to donwload game demo's updates etc. do you need to pay for a 360 sub?

Really didn't know that the 360 didn't have wireless networking, bit of a unpleasant surprise that.

Anyway, until Halo 3/Sega Rally 3 I'll hold off - too expensive right now.

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No you dont have to pay for demos etc. The free Silver account allows you to download all that goodstuff. :)

Wireless network is handy for a lot of us, but for the greater majority its not.

Ethernet is far more popular for a lot of people (however I use wireless myself) The wireless adapter can be bought cheap enough of ebay though.

24. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Good, i paid for a sub with my xBox account and decided after the year not to renew - didn't play enough to warrant to money spent.

Talking of wireless, another silly question but?...

...if wired Ethernet is 100 and wireless is 54, then what happens when you have computers/consoles linked via wired and wireless on the same router?

Does the router simply runs them at the 2 different speeds?

Many Thanks.

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep