Xbox 360 or PS3?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G5Unit, Nov 21, 2005.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Which should I get? I want to play Halo and Halo 2, but I here that PS3 will also have god gamesw and better graphics. But I also don't want to wait 7 months.

P.S.: How will Xbox 360 look on a 24 inch (2405fpw) dell? Would I have to buy an adapter?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

If you don't want to wait 7 months, your choice is obvious: Xbox 360.

If you want to play Halo, Halo 2, and Halo 3 (when it comes out), your choice is obvious: Xbox 360.

Yes, you'd need to buy an adapter to convert the 360's output to VGA... but you can play it on your Dell display.

3. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Simple, 360, Ive had a play on one in my local Game store, and wow fantastic, they had a 28inch widescreen HDTV, it was fantastic, played kong, and watching the other stuff they had on there. AMAZING.

Up until the xbox i was ps1, ps2, then i brought an xbox, and ended up selling my ps2. Ive never looked back.

I personally think from what ive seen from the 360, that Sony's Playstation franchise is going to take a battering.
    But its all down to personal taste at the end of the day, im afraid to say it, but microsoft have done something right with the 360.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

5. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Huh? Anyways, about plugging in via vga. What I mean is plugging it iin via the HD inputs in the back. Is it possiible?

EDIT: Also, if I have this thing right next to my PowerMac which is connected wirelessly to the internet, can I plug the Xbox into the ethernet port on the back for Xbox live?

6. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

God games? :confused: :p

The Xbox 360 ($400) comes with HD cables and composite cables. The lower end ($300) comes with just composite. The HD cables are sold sepreratly if you decide to get the $300 version.

7. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I thought I heard that it had wireless built in... but im not sure. If not, you can go to system preferences> sharing> internet> Share you connectiong from: airport> to computers using: ethernet. (On the PM)

8. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Well I would get the 400$ one for sure, but I just read that it will only output at 1080i? How good will that look on thr 2405fpw?

9. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Since 1080i= 1920x1080, and you Dell supports 1920x1200 it will probably look very good.

10. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Its not got wireless built in, its wireless compatable, so if you connect a wireless adapter, it becomes wireless.

And as far as its ethernet capabilities, its like any other "device" just connect it to your mac and set the sharing as above like w_parietti22 says, and it will work. It does with my xbox.

11. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

12. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Is it possible to connect those HD cable that come with the Xbox (400$) and connect them to my sony tv which only has composite cable inputs? I also have dvd player with progressive scan inputs. Could I do xbox->dvdplayer->tv?

13. Uma888 macrumors 6502

14. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Considering that the highest level right now is 1080p it will look great. I have a HDTV capable of 1080p and to be honest i cant see the difference between 1080i and 1080p. Very few A/V components and Displays support 1080p at this time, but id look to it in the future along with HDMI becoming more of a standard. I love how HDMI combines digital audio and 1080p resolution over one single cable vs. dealing with component/dvi video and digital toslink/coax audio connectors.

Ed

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

get both man. PS3 wont be out until later so take your hand at both.

Bless

16. Aarow macrumors 6502a

Does anybody ever think about money? You know, the stuff you buy items with...

Just kidding, I never think about money either :eek:

17. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I played an Xbox 360 yesterday, and that graphics were... Well, a little embarrassing... I played some war game.

I could have sworn, they used 128s in some areas! :eek:
    I know those are 1st gen. games... But damn...

Kameo, looked a little better...

I say wait for until the PS3 comes out (You won't be able to get your 360 until '06 anyways) and compare them side by side...

18. Sogo macrumors 6502

Its obsolete! to old! 5 seconds to old!

Introducing the Xbox Infinity!

You can play 8 million differint kinds of consols, and has all the fun in the world!

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

well as long as you work for what u want then i see no problem in having what u want....well thats what i think at least.

Go on man.....get both no get the three of em.

Bless

20. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

The local Walmart opens at 7 am tomorrow. Should I go at 6 or so? I live in a beach town of about 60,000(san clemente) Only walmart for a while. There is also a k-mart further down about 2 miles, would my chances be better there?

The lady I called at walmart said she got about 200 calls that day already (about 3pm) so does 6 o clock sound good?

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

go at 5:30...still might find a line though......why dont u go now and tell us how long that line is now.....i'll bet ya its long

Bless

22. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

OK. They said I think that they had about 20 or so in stock. Maybe I could just a pay a guy walking out 450 bucks to give me HIS system.

23. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

I think Sony should just pull a steve jobs and cancel the PS3... only to be relaced by the PS4!!

Comming out next week!! YES!

24. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

OK. I have been looking all over the internet and I can't seem to find the exact method to get 5.1 surround sound on the 360(Don't have it yet). I know I have to buy something called a toslink connector. But where can I find one? And what speaker system(budget friendly, under $100) that can take advantage of it?
    [​IMG]
    I don't think my current speaker system can. Yet it says dolby digital on the front.(L and R input on the back.
    I also have this old denon system(AVR-800) that has 5 speakers plus a subwoofer. Will it output in full surround sound? It also says dolby digital pro logic on the front.
    [​IMG]

25. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    toslink= Optical cable. And no, despite what some will tell you, coax is not an optical cable. It's capable of digital, but an Optical cable is true digital. The optical cables are made of, you guess it, glass, and light shines through it. Both the 360 and the PS3 will have optical outs.

Not sure how much the cables are anymore. When I installed hi-end audio video they were about 15 bucks a foot, sold in 3,6, and 12 foot variations.

The 360 is an impressive piece of equipment. However, the PS 3 will be backward compatible with both PSX and PS 2 titles, and sport a Cell processor, which if you haven't read up on, is going to be almost as sexy as a hot chick in a catholic school girl uniform. :D

edit: That receiver does not have optical audio in, you will need a new receiver capable of digital inputs (and an output for good measure).