Xbox 360 Owners, I need your knowledge!

Discussion in 'Games' started by YoYoMac, Jul 26, 2006.

1. YoYoMac macrumors regular

YoYoMac

Ok 3 questions.

1. Can I buy a universal power supply for the 360? I'm moving to China, I want to take my 360 with me. I don't want to use a converter for a gaming console.

2. Does any know if you can access Xbox live from other countries?

3. If I can't hook up to xbox live, will I get achievment scores after I've completed them, the next time I CAN hook up to xbox live? I mean, will xbox live check my hard drive for achievements I've made while offline and give me credit for them?

thanks.

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

1. Doubtful, but you might as well look it up.

2. Yes, you can. Xbox Live, however, is not in China yet. If you were moving to Hong Kong, then you could play but mainland China, no.

3. Sure thing. Your Achievements are stored on your Xbox HDD (or your memory card if you have that and not an HDD) and XBL checks your Xbox every time you log into Live to compare what it says to what their files say.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I don't see any reason why you couldn't connect to XBox Live from China if you have internet. Unless China blocks it or the XBox Live service blocks Chinese IP's. You might not be able to purchase a Chinese XBox Live account but you should be able to sign into XBox Live even in the middle of a jungle if you can get internet (and electricity!).

4. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

It is possible for MS to lock out connection from countries based on IPs (ie, it sees the IP originates from China). This also might be in their best interest, since the distance would almost certaintly cause enormous lag for all players involved in the game.

But until someone actually tries it, we don't know for certain.

5. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Xbox achievements are stored on your HDD. I'm not sure about the universal power adapter though, that is a really good question.

6. Catfish Jones macrumors member

There's a couple of options left in regards to the power supply. You can either buy a replacement power supply and a socket adapter (cheap) from one of the other Asian countries (try Singapore) that run on 220 volts or you can take your current power supply down to a local street-side electrical/computer shop and get them to solve the problem for you. I hear labour's cheap over there. :rolleyes:

There's also DIY: http://xbox.hackaday.com/entry/1234000740073473/

But yes, under no circumstances should you -ever- take a 110 volt gadget to a 220 volt country for any period of time longer than a week. You -will- plug it straight into a 220 socket at some point.

Also, you can access XBox Live from anywhere using an account from any country. For example, I created a UK account to download the Chromehounds demo from Canada a couple weeks back. So long as the Man in China lets you connect to the XBox Live servers (which I'm not sure he does), you'll be fine.

7. YoYoMac thread starter macrumors regular

YoYoMac

Thanks for all the great feedback.

I really want to take my 360, but I also really want to be able to access XBL. I figure since the xbox just access the XBL ip address, it should be fine. They typically only lock out ip address of stuff they don't want people reading, like news sites and the like.

Technically I COULD buy a power supply over in China that was 220 volt right? I mean, the power supply is in the brick of the chord, so just getting one that's made for Chinese xbox 360 would work. Right? Wrong?

I have to say that Fight Night 3 is amazing. I'm gonna grab Tiger 06 tomorrow. Oblivion sucked for me because I'm used to the PC version. I can't control FPS games with a console controler.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Have we discovered if your going to HongKong or mainland China? The two are different.

Have they even released the 360 officialy in mainland China? If not, your not going to be able to pick up a power supply there.

JUST CHECKED - NOT LAUNCHED OFFICIALY IN MAINLAND CHINA!!!

You could simply import one from the UK (the power supply is a 200-240v) This should work over in China, though you will then have to buy a plug adapter to change the plug - about $5
    ----------------------------

As for Xbox live, it is only available in these countries - classed as Asian Pacfic Region

South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia and New Zealand

If your names not on the list, your not coming in.!!!!

You will not be able to sign in to a different countrys Live service - unless the country your in still has a Live service.

Ireland didnt have a live service, and people tried logging in anyway and connecting to the UK service, but it DID NOT WORK.

It worked ONLY when microsoft launched Live in Ireland.

It's not as simple as IP address and US microsoft passport account for Live.

9. mikaelrules macrumors newbie

Well, I'm from the Philippines and I'm able to play on the XBox live servers just fine. On my recent trip to the US I just bought a one year prepaid card subscription to the service and now, everything works fine.

10. YoYoMac thread starter macrumors regular

YoYoMac

I'll be in ChongQing China, which is mainland. Well, I'm taking it with my anyway, even if I can't access Xbox live. I'll try of course. I thought I read some articles that said they were going to release the 360 in china this year. Who knows. thanks again for all the great answers.

11. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I think you just hurt me by calling Oblivion a FPS...

12. Catfish Jones macrumors member

Oblivion's success is the worst thing to happen to the roleplaying genre this year. (And perhaps the best thing to happen to FPSes)

13. YoYoMac thread starter macrumors regular

YoYoMac

Well, it is in this FPS "style" as in First Person Perspective. I've never been able to control those games well unless I'm using a good ole' keyboard/mouse combo. :) sorry. :)