Xbox 360 Premium - Finally in stock!? (Just got mine)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

So I was in the local wal-mart earlier this morning (6:30 AM) which for weeks has been "out of stock until further notice" of Xbox 360 Premium/Core systems and decided to check once again... and they were indeed in stock.

I picked up the Premium system, another wireless controller, and Burnout Revenge (which I previously rented on Xbox 1 and thought it was great, plus my wife loved it.)

The clerk said they had just got in 4 Premiums and 4 Cores the night before. After selling me one she said they now only had 1 Premium left plus the 4 Core systems... so even in my little town they seem to be selling fast - and still getting very little stock!

Anyway, thought some of you would want to know that places (at least here in the USA) should have some in stock now. Sometime today I might have time to actually try mine...

2. Stevez0r macrumors member

I pre-order mines for GameStop (4/1). Yeah I heard that they never did fulfill the pre-orders for the launch date. Maybe I'll see you on Live, Halo 2?

3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

4. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Yeah, I talked to GameStop last week and they told me they were holding their units until 4/1 for a second "launch". Which means they were getting them sooner but refusing to sell until 4.1. My guess is they wanted to avoid complaints from not being able to fulfill all preorders until then...

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

EBGames has four different bundles listed on their site now, and all of them look to be available later this week.

I'm guessing the time when Xbox 360s will be found available in stores is about to begin.

6. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

This is bad news, and I mean really bad news. I've been able to ignore the call of the 360 mainly because they haven't been easily available.
    I mean, if I can just walk into a Wal-Mart or Best Buy and pick one off the shelf...goodbye to $600 or so.;)

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

When you go in on 4.1, they're going to shout, "April Fools!" :p

8. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Haha, that would be awesome and cruel at the same time. Of course, I won't be going in on 4/1.... I already have mine thanks to wal-mart this morning! ;)

So far I like it, Burnout Revenge remains great, Halo 2 runs perfect. I'm not used to the controls yet and the thumbsticks feel quite a bit stiffer then the original controllers... maybe they just need "broke in."

9. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I've been able to ignore its call due to lack of games worth playing.

$399 to play Joust and Geometry Wars? Hah.

10. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Dude! Those games rock! ... or so I've heard.

Seriously though, I mostly bought it for the following reasons:
    1) There will be games worth playing; namely for me Halo 3 (I am a fan, and I will want to play it... so why avoid the inevitable?)
    2) My Xbox is dying and I had sold my controllers (all but 1, for my USB adaptor) because I thought it was dead... turns out it just needed cleaning.
    3) If I thought one day I'd be wanting a 360 then it made no sense for me to buy another Xbox1 and 3 more controllers and then later get a 360 and have to buy *another* 3 controllers.
    4) Wired controllers work on the Mac; a small bonus.
    5) I didn't have a hd component dvd player; 360 could solve that for me.

In the end I figured I'd have to invest about $250 in the Xbox (another system, 3 controllers, would want to get another component cable, etc)... which would have ended up a waste if I was going to (even a year later) want a 360. Plus, all my old Xbox games are supported on the 360...

So that was my logic, heh. My current Xbox (and Dreamcast, for that matter) will soon be available on eBay. :)

11. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

There's quite a few places near me now (in SW London) that have them in stock. I also saw a premium pack, with COD 2 and Burnout and an extra accessory (could have been another controller but can't remember), all for £350, which sounds pretty good.

Also, I saw Perfect Dark Zero being played in a store recently, on a 50" Hi Def plasma screen - awesome set up.

12. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

welcome to the world of being bored with ur 360 >.<
    Im superbly board with mine. I just want Halo 3 :D

13. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Halo has bored me from the beginning. I'm just bored with the whole FPS genre, I suppose.

Interesting. Does it work with old console emulators and such?

Just for the record, the DVD player on the 360 isn't an HD player.

14. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I actually have a lot more GameCube games I still want to finish/play so getting the 360 wasn't all that exciting to be honest.

I was glad to get one, simply because they were finally in stock... and I look forward to Halo 3, etc.... so it was like "well, I'll be getting one sooner or later, might as well now." :)

15. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

It's about time...it's only been what? Almost 4 months since it's US release?

16. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

IIRC the most recent issue of Game Informer had an article on Halo 3 that basically stated there's been almost zero development on Halo. Instead, they almost made it sound like Bungie was unsure if Halo 3 would be developed at all... putting more of their focuse on a new game instead (think it was called Forerunner, but I could be mistaken). Of course they could have just got the story all wrong and should be taken with a major grain of salt... but how scary would no Halo 3 be? Personally I don't think Bungie couldn't not make 3 and that instead they're just trying extremely hard to keep everything under wraps... anyways, when I get home from work I'll try to copy the article.

17. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

there has been plenty here, Los Angeles Best Buys.
    The thing im lookin forward to is Godfather on it. I would get it for the xbox or my PS2 but I would rather wait for the 360 version :cool:

18. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

I live in a smaller town(10,000), with several walmarts within a 50 mile radius. I was able to pick up a Premium at the farthest one 3 weeks ago. However all have consistently had Core systems avalable for at least a month and a half, the core's are not selling at least around here. Even since christmas you could walk into a store around here and get a core. I certainly waited til I could get a Prem. I seriously hope they drop the core, it is just not worth the money.

19. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I've heard about that but with a different slant. That they were working on a Halo game but would it was not Halo 3, it was "Forerunner" - a prequel to the first Halo.

Now how cool would that be? To me that hints that the Marathon trilogy will return; reborn as "Halo: Forerunner"!

Now that is an idea I like!

20. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

My friend at the Gamestop in the mall where I work, said he had half a dozen machines in the back, 4 Premiums, and 2 Cores. He's supposed to wait until 4/1 to sell them, but since hes the manager and he doesnt really give a f***, hes been selling them to whoever wants them.

21. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Wow, this hasn't been my experience. Of course, I own like 5 games and have a Gamefly rental; my 360 gets quite the workout!

In fact, so much so that I haven't turned on my old Xbox since November; I just sold it this past weekend. *sniff* It was hard saying goodbye to an old friend like that. We'd been through so much! (v1.0 launch day box still in perfect working condition, BTW)

Elder Scrolls tomorrow, baby! :D

22. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Yeah, my Xbox is a launch day Xbox as well. Bought it with DoA3 and Halo :D

23. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

See, I love Call of Duty 2, thats been fun. I got Perfect Dark and I think its possibly the worst game ive ever played.

All the other games, arent anything too new so im just waiting for something fun. All the driving games, i already own more or less and im still not done with Grand Turismo 4 yet. Plus for online game, i mostly play Socom 3.

24. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Could be, could be. The online version of the article isn't up yet, and transcribing it from the magazine is a little daunting. But they do mention the scenario you're talking about as being a possibility.

25. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

Everyone listen. Please.

Xbox 360's will be experiencing a "second launch" as Microsoft quadruples retail supplies. The chip shortage that weakened the first launch has been overcome. End of story.

Halo 3 has not been annoucned, confirmed, or anything. If Bungie does not say it, its not true. Bungie said the whole Forerunner thing was an April Fool's Joke, but this may not be true.

Halo 3, if released, will not be a prequel. The Halo movie, which has been confirmed by Bungie, will be. If Forerunner is real, it will most likely be a sequal to Halo 2 or a side story.