Xbox 360 Premium vs. Xbox 360 Core

Discussion in 'Games' started by ShadyMac, Feb 4, 2006.

?

What did you get Premium of Core 360?

1. Xbox 360 Premium Edition

87.0%
  2. Xbox 360 Core System

13.0%
  1. ShadyMac macrumors member

Just picked up my Xbox 360 Core system, but wondering if I should've held off for the premium. I know that the difference is the wireless control, harddrive, s-cable and 1 year Live. But how come some 360 have white tray cover and some have silver. Is there any difference in color between the Premium and Core?

2. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

The silver tray cover is on all premiums while the white is on the cores. Just another way to differentiate the two models.

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I have a core system too. I am not sorry at all that I didn't get the premium bundle.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The thing is, the Premium is $99 more than the core...

But the hard drive is $99 more, the S-cable is $30 more, a year of Live is $50 more, and a wireless controller is $50 more.

Premium is a MUCH better deal.

And if you go with core, you still have to buy a $40 memory card and a Live headset if you play online. You can't download demos or trailers either.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You didn't offer this choice: TWO Xbox 360 Premium Editions. ;)

6. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Am I the only one who finds the chrome dvd tray on the premium system to be really ugly.

I know it's a little thing but it bothers me.:eek:

7. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

well, I didn't want the wireless controllers, I don't need the hard drive as this is my first xBox of any type so I don't have any old games, and I did purchase the live ticket...so i am happy. But I agree the premium one is better...I just didn't want to wait for it in light of what I needed...:p

8. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I bought the Premium package because to me it was really worth the price difference, it came with everything I was going to buy if I bought the Core. Also the Premium doesn't come with 1-Year of live, it is just 1-Month...

9. silverback66 macrumors regular

I don't have mine yet, but when I do pick it up it will definatley be a premium. I'm all about gettign more for my money.

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Yeah, well... you suck :p

Same here - all one colour would be good (I plan to make mine all black, and probably with yellow/purple nights)

I'd say get the Premium. And even if you don't have an old XBox, you should shoot yourself for not getting Halo 2 :p

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I find the chrome ugly too. when its moddable and cheaper I'll get myself the premium but get a plain white cover off eBay or where ever!

12. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

You must have had to have bought some type of storage device in-order to play online, you need to save your settings and accounts. So say you bought the memory card for $40, that would mean for the extra $60 you should have spent, you would have gotten a 20gig harddrive (awesome for saving arcade games and game demos like Fight Night 3), the wireless controller, the headset, the remote, and the HD cables. And you would have had one month of free online live to try out.

The premium really is the way to go if you plan to play online (as you should). The marketplace is awesome and is only going to get better.

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i got my premium a few days ago, core's are stupid.

xbox's are pointless if you dont have live and with the cost of a memory card and a headset your almost to a premium and then you have wireless controllers which rule and a HD, nevermind the HD cables (i use a vga cable so it's a non issue)

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I got two premiums at Launch..

The price differential is inconsequential once you start adding wireless controllers, headsets, media remotes, hard drive, component cable......

If spending an extra $100 is a major factor in your purchase decision then maybe you shouldn't be buying a 360 at all. After all it's not a necessity to everyday life is it.

If you can afford $60 - $70 a game then only an idiot would buy the 'lesser' system.

15. ShadyMac thread starter macrumors member

A idiot?:mad:

WTF...What if they didn't have the premium package?

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That would make them a desperate idiot :p

Also it's 'an idiot' not 'a idiot', you'd know that if you had bought the premium ;)

---
    But if truth be told, I had to choose on launch day to have no 360 or a core package, I probably would have bought one too.

17. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

OH, I completely agree that the premium is a better deal and a better package. I got the memory card as a gift. Two of them actually, so I spent no money on them. The truth of the matter is, that around here, if I hadn't take a core, I would still be waiting on a premium system...I just didn't want to wait. Didn't have the patience.:p

18. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Not to knit-pick, but you don't get a year of Live with the premium bundle, the S-cable isn't an "S-cable" but a composite/component combo cable, and the wireless controller is only $10 more than the wired controller.

I agree with you though, if you actually plan on using the thing for anything other than a DVD player you need the premium bundle.

19. DonkeyTron macrumors member

I too find the chrome dvd tray to be disguisting

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I wanted the wireless controls so i got the primi.

Bless

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Sorry, I assumed the OP knew what he was talking about :)

22. Moog101 macrumors member

I totally agree. I managed to pick up a core + memory card through sheer luck off the shelf 5 days after launch. If not i'd still even now be looking at a 4-5 week waiting time for a premium. I was more than happy to pick one up and pay a bit extra than not have one over XMas (when I had loads of free time).

Since then, i've managed to pick up wireless controllers & a Hard Drive, but still no Premium Packages available.

M

23. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Im so glad I waited. I wanted a premium version and Ghost Recon:Advanced Warfighter. That was the only game that I was really drooling over. Now that I see the supply issues (still) and have actually played a 360 (and am not impressed), Im thankful that I didn't spend that money yet. I mean, Im going to get a 360, but now I'll most likely wait for the first price drop and wont have to settle for a core system. I'd also like to see what they are going to do as far as bigger Hard drives.

24. T-Stex macrumors 6502

The premium model's definitely a better deal. When I got mine, I was lucky to find a core system at a good price, so I bought it. I picked up the hard drive later on, along with two wireless controllers. I don't mind having two wireless and one wired controller. At the time I bought the Xbox, I wouldn't have used the component video cable anyway. So in the long run, it really didn't make much of a difference for me, as I would've bought at least two extra controllers even if I bought the premium version. Plus, now I've got an all-white Xbox, without that ugly chrome tray.

Basically, I think the premium model's a great deal if you can get it, but if not, I don't think it's so horrible to "settle" for the core model, as in the long run, it's really not a huge price difference, even if you buy the components seperately.

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I struck lucky with my 360's.

I pre-ordered two in case I didn't get one, and by chance I got both....

However one of the boxes packaging got a little damamged in the warehouse at play.com and so they gave me the premium for the same price as the core....

Bargain :D