Xbox 360 Prices

Discussion in 'Games' started by kuyu, Aug 17, 2005.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

M$ announced this morning that there will in fact be two Xbox 360 SKU's at launch.

The $299 SKU ships with the unit, 1 wired controller, and TV cables.

The $399 SKU ships with the unit, a 20GB HDD, 1 wireless controller, 1 headset, 1 wireless remote control, TV cables, and an ethernet cable. At this time the press conference is still ongoing, so no word yet on a launch date or confirmed launch titles.

Guess I'm pre-ordering today! The $399 model is more my flavor, but once I throw in an extra controller and headset and the wifi add-on, this thing is going to run upwards of $500! Luckily I have a cool younger brother who will go "halfsies" with me on it all.

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

seems like the $399 model is a much better deal? when you factor in the cost of the controller and the wireless device...

3. lopresmb macrumors 6502

4. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

UPDATE

There are now grumblings that the LA Times Story is merely speculation. Major Nelson has stated that the wireless controller is standard, and a HDD is required for backwards compatibility and for xboxLive.

I guess we'll know for sure once the smoke clears...

5. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Nevermind the update. The first post is correct. This thing is going to be expensive!!!

Console: $399.99
    Extra controller: $49.99
    Extra headset: $19.99
    3 games: $59.99x3
    Live: $49.99

Total with taxes: over $741 :eek: :eek: :eek: THAT'S A TON OF MONEY :eek: :eek: :eek:

6. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Just announced as £210 in the UK.

Edit; here's the release.

Microsoft's next generation console, the Xbox 360, will cost £209 to £279 when it goes on sale at Christmas.
    The company announced the price of the two bundles at the German Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany.

The basic one will come with a wired controller, but will not have a 20GB hard drive, wireless controller, headset and remote control included in the more expensive version.

Sony's PlayStation 3 is due out in the spring but no price has yet been set.

Nintendo's next generation console, the Revolution, is also expected to be released in 2006.

7. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

where did you get this info from?

8. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

9. applekid macrumors 68020

Jesus Christ! $59.99 a game?! $49.99 controllers (those better be the wireless ones!)?!

Look, I don't care if the console is $399 at the high-end, but the price of the controller is the cost of a brand new game today! And the game price is just so high, owning an X-Box 360 is going to be an expensive hobby! Well, I think Microsoft solved all of its financial problems with selling the X-Box... :D

I hope the PS3 and Revolution aren't as whacked. I guess I can see where Nintendo is coming from with making a cheap console and saying costs of producing games are at an all time high. And being an aspiring game developer, I think I really need to see Nintendo win this console battle to keep production prices down, now more than ever.

10. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I'm with you, the console price is very fair. But not including the HDD in the the cheapo model is going to assure that most games don't use it. I'm very dissapointed in the price of the accessories, although pricing is subject to change.

Looks like I'll get the $400 console, Live, and 1 game at launch. That's about ~$550. Suddenly a $600 PS3 doesn't seem that expensive.

11. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

just to add a linkey

PS: the $299 version will cost around 360$ canadien :rolleyes:
    (well asumin the conversion widget is right)

edit: and the fact that they said nothing about backward compatability freak me out a little (well sorta)...

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

not to forget the blu-ray drive in the future and other things... tis mighty expensive.

but wow! controllers are cheap in the US. they're about £20-30 for an official one here, will be more for wireless ones. you US guys have nothing to complain about :p

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

xbox360.ign.com confirms.

So the base XBox 360 doesn't have a hard drive, eh?

I know, I know. I shouldn't do this. It's not very nice. But I debated it so much with people I feel I have to...

TOLD YOU SO!!!!!

Um...*walks away quickly*

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I don't see why the PS3 would be $600.

It's basicly the $299 XBox 360 (swapping tri-PPC's for a Cell and ATi card for NVidia), swapping RF for Bluetooth, and adding Blu-ray and WiFi.

IMHO I think the PS3 will launch at $399 for the 'core system'.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I really hope Nintendo dont release weaker budget versions and just stick to the good old fashioned 1 console with all equipment route. maybe some shops doing bundles themselves. just to keep things simple (thinks to the PSP's 'budget' pack... haha... budget...). £120 you get everything you need. maybe get an extra controller too.

16. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Just read about the pricing on cnn this morning. I just loved this part of the article :

controller to play games huh? really, i didn't know that

17. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

'Wired controller' would indeed have sufficed.
    :rolleyes:

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I doubt it. There are no 'extras' like a hard drive to add.

I think they were emphasizing the 'plugged in' part. Remember that everyone thought that the XBox 360 was ALL wireless.

19. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

well that could be what they were trying to say, but at least first glance it seemed kinda odd.

20. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

what...... you want a medal or something???........... *flips him a penny*....

21. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Two SKUs? This is a bad, BAD move IMO. All it will do is create confusion in the retail channels and with the consumers. So developers don't count on you having a hard drive? That minimizes one of the great benefits of the Xbox over other consoles.

Not so much caring about the price.

22. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Wow. You're right, that was in bad taste and petty. Well done!

23. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Ditto. The hardware seems fair (I payed about $460 for my launch-day Xbox + 2 games and a controller) but the $60 game price really raises my ire.

By the time the PS3 comes around and there's some competition in the marketplace, MS will most likely cut 360 prices, further expanding the gap and putting pressure on Sony for their price point.

This hobby is getting real expensive! :D

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I know, I know. I just had a really big debate with somebody; I can't even remember who it was, they just kept insisting the XBox 360 WILL have a hard drive. Had that debate on a couple boards, actually. So I couldn't resist. I know it was in bad taste... :eek: