xBox 360: really that great?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rye9, Jan 18, 2006.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Is the new xbox really that great? My neighbor has one and its the only thing he's been playing since Dec. 25th. Its really annoying. The things is, he's so caught up in it that he doesnt believe any downsides to it. He says its the greatest and his will never crash. Oh, if u turn it on and nothing happens, is that considered a crash? So for all u xbox 360 owners, how do you rate it on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best. I know the graphics are awesome, but my neighbor's fan is SOOOO LOUD. I would like more opinions on how these puppies really are.

IMO, I can't wait for a revolution, even though im a bit skeptical about the controller.

2. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Here's my review, originally posted on MacRumors.

Be careful posting this query in the games forum: this site has a large degree of anti-Microsoft bias and a hefty love for all things Nintendo, the Apple of the gaming world.

Short version, I'd give it a 9 with a few caveats.

3. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Don M's review is pretty damn good. I would listen to what he says.

I boguht mine on launch date, and two weeks ago it finally died (I knew it would, it was revision A after all) and so Microsoft sent me an entirely brand new unit.

Complaints of the fan are moot, honestly. You don't even notice it when you're playing a game. Call of Duty 2 alone is worth the purchase of the system, not to mention DOA 4 as well.

The small games like Geometry Wars Evolved and Hexic HD are good way to kill tiime as well.

I have no doubt that the graphics of the games will improve over time (all consoles do as the hardware is capable fo much more than what is currently available at the time of release).

So, on a scale of 1-10, I would rate it a 9.5, .5 is missing because of current game selection, although COD2 onlien keeps me busy and entertained.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Haha, I like how you got an XBox 360 that already died, and you also have a game called DOA = Dead on Arrival. :p A bit premonitory of MS, perhaps.

5. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I agree whole heartedly with Onizuka, and I was convinced I'd be selling it after a month or so!
    I'm a hardened PC gamer, keyboard and mouse all of the way, and was beginning to put together a new high end gaming rig. But then I looked into the 360, saw what it was (on paper) capable of, and put a pre-order in for one as a cheaper alternative to the gaming rig.

I've only ever owned a console once, and then for only around 4 months - a PS1. Never got into it that much, thought all console games lacked the depth of their PC counterparts and sold it on. Plus I thought FPS on a console would suck.

But with the 360 I've been amazed. Not just because of what it it capable of (COD2 graphics are fantastic, and the gameplay is the same quality as the PC version) but because of my virtually instant conversion consoles. After a week of COD2 and PDZ I've nearly mastered the art of FPS on a console. Not as precise as a keyboard and mouse, but I'm getting there. Needless to say the gaming rig has been put on indefinate hiatus!

But the killer app is definately XBL. Its what online gaming should be - simple to access and play. With the demos and marketplace it really is fantastic. All I need to do now is to get it to work on my network! (I've got the wireless adapter coming).

Yes the fan is loud. Yes the DVD drive is loud. But during gameplay you wouldn't notice it at all. During DVD playback you would. Which is a shame, as I was wanting the xbox to be a decent replacement DVD player. But as I've decided to add a Mac Mini to my 26" Samsung, it will be taking care of DVD duties.

So I'd give it a 9/10...

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Actually, DOA stands for "Dead or Alive" in that game series.

And Don's review is VERY well written... I concur with almost all of his points. I highly recommend the 360.

7. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I agree, his review was very well written and I also agree with almost everything that he had to say.

8. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

9. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I haven't played one and i'm kinda biased, so I'm not gunna say anything but none of their games interest me. Nothing too amazing. If this is what "next generation" is supposed to be like. I don't want any part of it.

10. masterapple04 macrumors regular

I'd give it an 8.5 - the graphics and gameply in PDZ and COD2 are awesome, and Halo 2 emulates beautifully. However, the drive (especially in COD2, where it seems to need constant disk access) and fans are sometimes rather noisy, and I'm waiting for even more killer games. All in all, I love it. It even sits in the same room as my Mac mini, 20" ACD, and iPod - no fights yet.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The 360 is cool and worth the buy. I havent played it in like three weeks but thats due to SOCOM for the psp and school but other than that its a cool system and just wait until better games start coming out.

Bless

12. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

Ive played the 360 and its not that bad. better than the ps2. but the ps3 is what im waiting for. I think im the only one who likes sony and not nintendo here, and im going public about it starting today.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^^ don't worry we got some "other" system people here. I like all of them because i have all and PSP and the GBA is my top right now.

Bless

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Your 360 is boobs? :confused:

Yeah, I know. It sounds like a great system, but it's hard to make a comparison when Sony and Nintendo hasn't released their toys yet.

Personally, I think I would enjoy any of these gaming systems equally. Its of games can be bought for all 3 systems, and they're all gonna have the pretty colours and graphics.

15. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Thanks guys, I'm glad you liked the review.

Love or hate the 360 I think it really comes down to what you're looking for in a system and whether or not you have a HD set. Without one the 360 is something of a marginal upgrade. Sure, you get a lot of refinements but I don't know that they're worth $400.

If you have an HD set, however, I think you should seriously look at the 360. Especially if you like the original Xbox or have any interest in online gaming; Xbox Live is the service that everyone else will be trying to duplicate from here on out.

The 360 had one of the largest launch lineups of any console but we're starting to feel that shortage. Nearly 2 months out only one new game has come out ("Dead or Alive 4") and the units are still tough to find. MS is starting to lose some momentum, I feel. They need to solve this distribution problem (supposedly a 3rd fabrication facility comes online within the next 30 days) and some new games to come out.

Something that didn't make it into my review was MS crediting my Live account 1600 points for the inconvenience of having to recreate my Gamertag. That was nice of them. I think that's roughly a $20 value. I downloaded and bought a few games with that.

Oh, and being able to download game demos and HD movie trailers is too sweet for words. My friends love coming over a fooling around with my 360. :D

16. itgoesbuzz macrumors regular

based on limited playing (@target) i came away impressed with the demo version of call of cuty. the graphics werent too much to ride home about (dunno if this has to do with it being a demo?) but i was impressed with how the game felt, and the controller of the system itself, based on playing it a little bit at a friends house as well id give it a 8.

17. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

call of duty could looks nice... but when you play games such as perfect dark or project gothem it looks mediocre

the fact is that at the moment while the games out are not as strong as they could be the base they have set with their marketplace and xbox live and everything being connect has the potential to become huge.

i mean check out the Diamond Card. Microsoft is working very hard at connecting everything and it looks awesome

also i am thrilled about nintendo and sonys new systems, but those do not ship until the end of this year. i can't wait to get my hands on them but at the moment the xbox 360 is the best system you can buy... except for maybe the most extreme gaming computer

18. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I think the real question is "posting in the correct forum - is it really that great?". What is it with you people! Experienced guys, too! Gaming stuff goes in the Games forum. That's why it's called the Games forum. Not because they felt like it.
    /rant

Well, to give you some idea, a local game store (not gonna say who - don't want anyone nicking my 360 :p) is restocking tomorrow, and through most of this week I've been wishing it could be friday afternoon (well, that might have summat to do with the GCSE mocks I've been having :()

19. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Its been fairly well reported that the booths have generally been set up wrong, and despite them using HD sets they are using the standard connections - possibly why you weren't impressed with the graphics.
    Personally I think they graphics are superior to that of PDZ, and easily on par with a high end gaming rig, which is virtually unbelieveable due to the cost differential!

Greatdevourer - Does that mean they're getting in the accessories? They had none in when I was in on Tuesday, and I'll be slightly gutted if they do tomorrow and I've gone and paid £10 over the rrp for the wireless bridge, and £3 over the rrp for another wireless controller through fleabay...

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

21. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

When it arrives next year! :D

Don't get me wrong, I have no loyalty with brands as I'm new to consoles, but from what I've read and what I understand from the technology, the PS3 is not likely to be shipping on its originally specified due date. And the fact that anything demo'd on the PS3 was pre-rendered and running on a developer box means I'm not prepared to make a sweeping statement on how good it is.... until it is available, shipping, and reviewed by people who are as impartial as possible....

22. motc777 macrumors member

motc777

I frequent many gaming forums and have some gamer friends and they are in agreement that the 360 is a crap console.

The games crashing in the middle of play, people opening them out of the box and the thing not powering on, just a host of issues and yet it was just laughable that within days of the release, Microsoft is on their website saying a small percentage of people were having problems, which just aint true.

I'm still a Windows user, but it's propaganda like this that pisses me off about Microsoft. Outright lies....

23. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

You've got to remember that people are more vocal about something thats wrong than something that works. Unless they are a rabid fanboy - you can't shut those b*stards up!:D

After 2 weeks of use, I've had zero problems. Hence why I rate it quite highly...

24. greatdevourer, Jan 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2013

greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Trust me, with the exception of their software department, M$ are frickin' saints compared to Sony. Rootkits, showing complete disregard for their customers and calling them stupid, doctoring figures to their hearts content, slagging off other consoles publicly... There is a reason why I'm never buying another Sony product

25. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

I was gonna say it is the **** but thats a little more deragotory of a word.